N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Thermostat Stuck Open - 05-19-2021, 01:12 PM

So, I assume that's the problem. Codes say the thermostat is stuck open. The oil temp gauge on the car's instrument panel says 160* once driven long enough to warm up.

I just noticed after ordering a thermo and pump kit of course, my JB4 gauges says oil temp is 205* while the car says 160*.

How likely do you think this is an indication problem?

Also, the radiator fan cycles to high/fast speed then off, while it's showing 160*.

Thanks for reading.

2013 BMW 335i F30 6MT PWG - JB4 - MHD - VRSF Charge pipe and Intercooler - BMS Intake
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Indication - 05-20-2021, 04:39 AM

Since I've already asked the question, I'll finish off the troubleshooting process with or without comments.

I'm thinking it is an indication problem.

Otw in to work today, the JB4 gauges indicated normal warmup and operating temperatures. I don't think the thermo is faultly anymore, but since my E90 left me stranded at 80K miles with a bad pump and I have 79K miles on this F30, I'm going to go ahead with the thermo and pump change as preventive maintenance anyway.

I failed to mention earlier that I have a low voltage issue and need to change my battery. It's original, 8 years old. I wonder if that is related to the indication problem? The ECU shutting down unnecessary systems to save the electrical system???

Well, I'll change the battery first, once I get my MHD to register the battery and see if the issue changes, then I'll move on to the thermo and pump.

2013 BMW 335i F30 6MT PWG - JB4 - MHD - VRSF Charge pipe and Intercooler - BMS Intake