JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Q50
Default Boostane and Map 6 - 11-21-2019, 01:25 AM

Can boostane be used instead of using e85/e30 to e20 blend when using map 6 ect?

From doing some calculations, if I use half a bottle of boostane pro mixed with 12 gallons of 91, it will come out to a blend of 99 octane. Is boostane safe to blend with 91 octane for those higher maps?
(#2)
Old

Car: 16 Infiniti Q50 3.0t AWD
Default 11-21-2019, 12:06 PM

I have used boostane and torco both (in 93) when using levels up to +8. I would go ahead and give it a try but don't go past +5-6 without checking logs. I just used a full bottle to a full tank (20gal) and assumed about 98 octane. I did not have any timing issues with my logs and dyno testing.

2020 BMW M340ix Portimao Blue
K&N drop in, JB+, Intake muffler delete

2016 Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD (GONE)
K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
JB4 W/fuel wires Map 6 custom
E20ish mix made 413whp 410wtq (17-18psi peak)
(#3)
Old

Default 11-22-2019, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on using a half bottle with 12 gallons of 91 pump here, which comes out to 99 octane according to their guide calculator. Have you found any orange residue that left behind on the spark plugs or exhaust? I've heard that when going over a full bottle will do that, but haven't been able to find out if it occurs with octane % in the higher 90's (98-99).
(#4)
Old

Default 11-22-2019, 10:35 AM

All octane boosters I have ever used (over 20yrs) leave a colored residue when burned. This deposits itself on the plugs and O2 sensors. However, I have also never experienced any issue from this. I would not overly concern yourself with the residue. Fuel itself will leave black deposits on plugs and sensors also when running rich. It all has to do with balance. The correct amount of fuel will not foul the plugs and sensors. Not using too much octane booster will not foul the plugs and sensors. I currently use the booster for a tank or two then go off for a tank or two adding a e20-25 mix instead. This keeps me from stacking ethanol and from fouling from too much octane booster. I will say personally I have had vehicles that I used a half bottle as you mentioned every tank for a year or more with no issues in the past. Just make sure you are running the tank close to empty before filling with fuel and adding more ethanol or booster. This will help keep you from stacking it over time. (Meaning the gals of fuel remaining in the tank at fill up will have a higher octane so if you keep adding booster or ethanol if you don't account for that you may stack the ethanol percentage or booster to a level too high). In a perfect world we would go to completely empty each tank to make sure the proper amount of additive is used.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
(#5)
Old

Default 11-22-2019, 06:57 PM

Thats basically my plan, is to switch it out after running a tank of the octane booster and just run a tank or two of 91 and flush it all out. I usually will add a e20-e25 blend to my 91 on the weekends if theres some meets going on Friday/Saturday night and then during the work week/M-F run only 91. I always make sure to run the whole tank to empty before adding any E and is the plan with the boostane as well, like you explained. Basically only going to be using it for weekend use only and probably won't be using it every weekend, but even so, if I was, I go through two tanks of 91 usually M-F.

Is it possible to clean off some of that residue or you think I won't really get much after one weekend use of it? (I'll only be using a half a bottle with 12 gallons 91, for 98-99% octane).
(#6)
Old

Default 11-23-2019, 11:02 PM

You should be fine running the way you explained. I would not be worried about the color and don't think there is a practical way to clean it other then discontinuing use long enough for it to burn off over time or replacing the plugs and o2 sensors. Again, I have used octane boosters for many years and not once experienced an issue from the color that it leaves behind. Even one bottle will cause the coloring to appear on the plugs, etc. Think of it like adding a small amount of food coloring to glass of water. It adds color but does no harm.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
(#7)
Old

Default 11-27-2019, 09:15 PM

Appreciate the response/help. Was wondering how your megan racing "Y" pip3 is working out for you? Is there any rattling noises ever or anything like that coming from it?

I was looking into it since its a cheap add on mod since I already have the megan lower ********* on. I've heard mixed reviews about it.
(#8)
Old

Default 11-28-2019, 06:43 AM

The only problem from the Megan racing y-pipe is that the rear flange that goes to the midpipe has too large of an opening for the stock midpipe flange. If you use the stock metal gasket and carefully line everything up you can cover the hole but it is not enough material overlap for a good seal. Mine leaks a little at the bottom and makes a noise under certain loads. It is not very loud and most of the time I don't hear it but it does annoy me and I plan to do something about it soon. Most likely I will buy the Tanabe midpipe. The only thing that sucks is the damn midpipe is more then I paid for the Megan lower *** and y-pipe together. It's $465. Every other option I have found is buying a whole catback (expensive) or buying the Rev Y-pipe and midpipe combo for $415, but then I am having to buy another y-pipe I dont need and its all slip fit cheap stuff. If you have a good muffler shop, you probably could have the end of the Megan y-pipe modified to fit better then what it will cost to buy the midpipe. Personally I really want to get rid of the last of the weeny 1 3/4 piping in the midpipe anyway so I am probably going to bite the bullet and shell out the dough for the Tanabe.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
(#9)
Old

Default 11-30-2019, 11:09 PM

Any difference between the Tanabe and the rev9 or is it just price? I might just go with the rev9. That way can get the mid pipe as well and kill two birds with one stone. Currently I have lower down ***** by megan already on, so this would be a good addition for me. Seems like a decent enough price. Was going to get an axle back by remark, but instead the rev9 thinking would be a better choice as long as my lower down ***** fit...

https://shop.redline360.com/products...BoC8ycQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Goodfella; 12-01-2019 at 04:30 AM..
(#10)
Old

Default 12-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Tanabe is better quality. Rev9 is slip fit instead of flanges and usually needs some adjustment for proper fitment via many people who have used it. It will work and the adjustments are fairly minor. Your choice.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
(#11)
Old

Default 12-01-2019, 07:04 PM

I was actually thinking of just going with the whole rev9 catback now that I see the setup and understand better now. Cheapest catback there is, 700 bucks or maybe just go with the tanabe y-pipe set up like you mentioned and then add a remark axle back. So both set ups 700-800. I don’t care much for sound and care more to have the car running and breathing better, so I’m look at those two for my setup. Also, thanks for the feedback on the boostane. Had a chance to run it last night and felt great in the car! Ran much smoother than the e85 blend route ect. Probably will end up switching between the two each weekend for those higher maps ect.
(#12)
Old

Default 12-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Sounds like a plan. I'm also done with obnoxious exhaust, just looking to breathe better with a little additional note. Definitely don't want anything raspy or droning. I will probably just stick with my plan to get the Tanabe midpipe and call it a day.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger
(#13)
Old

Default 12-06-2019, 04:37 PM

So sounds like boostane might have got in some trouble for how they ship their product cus now it can only travel by truck or some specific way that takes a week to get to me. So have a question for you. Since torco is based in CA/local to me, it's easily available and can drive to pick it up if need be. Noticed Torco is about 8 bucks cheaper as well. How is torch compared to boostane? Can they be equally the same feeling/drive when your calculating out the desired octane number you're after?

I would use half a bottle of boostane with a half tank for 99-100 octane. As for torco, it explains to used a half bottle with 10 galloons and a half bottle (16oz) of torco for 95 octane or a full bottle (32oz) of torque with 10 gallons for a 102 octane.
(#14)
Old

Default 01-18-2020, 10:46 PM

Torco is good stuff too. I have used both on my Q50.

K&N drop ins
Megan Racing Lowers
Megan Racing Y p!p3
BMS Heat Exchanger