N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#901)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-20-2017, 07:29 PM

For those running EWG connectors on absolute maps I've had a few reports of "EWG sluggish" faults during low throttle... If anyone can trigger them on demand drop me a note I have something for you to test!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#902)
Old

Car: BMW F30 LCI 320i 2017
Default 08-20-2017, 08:10 PM

Got the error and the connector. Will contact Terry for the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
For those running EWG connectors on absolute maps I've had a few reports of "EWG sluggish" faults during low throttle... If anyone can trigger them on demand drop me a note I have something for you to test!
(#903)
Old

Default 08-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Anybody running jb4 on a 320i B48 engine with no hardware modifications at all? any input about the possible gains? anything running smooth?

car is from my wife, so it should be a no brainer in daily use...
(#904)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Most people running a JB4 on the B48 are otherwise modified I'd guess.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#905)
Old

Default 08-22-2017, 10:42 AM

Don't want to max out the car at all, it just needs some extra juice to not fall asleep while flooring it :D

I would say around 230-250hp and a reasonable amount of torque would be more than enough for the car. Realistic with no hardware mods?
(#906)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2017, 03:27 PM

In terms of gains I'm not as familiar with the new 320 B48 but throw the JB4 on, do some logs, and we can help you get as much out of it as you safely can. I know the model is popular in China and our resellers there have reported promising power gains.

Burger Motorsports

(#907)
Old

Car: 120i
Default 08-23-2017, 06:29 AM

If you want to hit 250 make sure you also get EWG and fuel pressure connector form my 120i experience.

1) Fuel pressure is key as you will quickly run into fuel trim issues, >14-15 PSI, with fuel pressure connector and FOL set to 60 is no issue up to 18+

2) EWG is good for holding boost in higher RPM region before I got that it would be way under target >5000 RPM.

Ohh and I forgot to add, just get it, it will totally transform the car!

Last edited by RMM; 08-23-2017 at 06:35 AM..
(#908)
Old

Default 08-23-2017, 07:21 AM

Thanks for your answer - the kind of answer i wanted to see

What about those connectors you wrote... where to get them? I am Jb4 N54 User since the very beginning so not too much into that B48 stuff up to now.

In the shop, i can't see any options for EWG and Fuel Pressure stuff...
(#909)
Old

Car: 420i
Default 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM

I have one on my car 420i (B48). Map one is great, smooth and powerful. Map two really adds power but is not as smooth. I will submit some logs to see if all is well.

Get one you won't regret it. Oh and the Bluetooth module is a must also.

Matt
(#910)
Old

Car: 120i
Default 08-23-2017, 10:05 PM

I just checked I didn't see these on website either, you probably need to talk with support when you place your order I ended up with "B48 Small Style" and EWG for the B58 worked on my car, see photo of what they look like on my car, first is on the fuel rail, second is on the turbo. Just to be sure you might want to send photo to support of your connectors when you order like I did.

BT APP is great, you want that too it would be PITA for tuning or data-log using USB connector.
Attached Images

(#911)
Old

Car: 340xi 8at
Default 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Anyone running straight meth? I switched over from 50/50 and ive noticed that it pulls alot harder.
(#912)
Old

Car: 540i G30
Default 08-24-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Hey guys,

Been plugging away on the B58 E85 tuning and have some information to share.

First the good news. With sufficient octane the turbo hardware has plenty of room for more power. I turned boost up and was able to get around 440whp out of the car 100% stock on E40 with a much too lean AFR. I suspect the factory turbo with just a high flow intake added will ultimately support around 460-475whp.

Now the bad news. It looks as if BMW has placed an IPW fuel limiter in to the DME firmware. This could be an attempt to hinder flash tuners or could simply be to avoid some sort of an injector or fuel system flow limit we don't know about yet. On previous models we've altered the DME's fuel pressure signal as a back door to to raise IPW. On this model when altering the fuel pressure the DME responds by lowering it's load target proportionally to keep IPW consistent.

We can work around it fairly easily with a CANbus JB4 by dynamically altering the load back to the DME to be within its new lower range and add dutycycle to bring boost up. While we get the boost curve we want the IPW is fixed so AFR leans out.

What this means is that pump gas JB4 tuning is no problem. Race gas only tuning may get a bit sketchy at higher power levels. Maybe around 400whp. And E85 tuning is for the most part a no-go at least for now.

We're likely going to have to turn to something external like meth or TBI to further extend the fueling range.

Work continues... The logs have been purposefully not posted as I've noticed some would-be competitors IP addresses reading these B58 JB4 threads.
Terry how much boost was this run? Thanks!
(#913)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 08-24-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdirty340
Anyone running straight meth? I switched over from 50/50 and ive noticed that it pulls alot harder.
Yeah I have only ever run straight meth with dual CM7
(#914)
Old

Car: 340i M-Sport
Default 08-25-2017, 05:21 AM

This engine needs fuel more than it needs cooling for high boost

340i 8AT DME Stage 2 | JB4 | AP Intake | ER ** | Meisterschaft GTC | Ohlins R&T | Ground Control Camber Plates | MP LSD | 437M | RE-71R
(#915)
Old

Car: 2017 340i / 2016 328i
Default 08-25-2017, 05:27 AM

I just recently switched to version 8 from 5e. I'm running map 2 and whenever I get on it my fuel quality guage needle goes to zero even though the tank is full. Once I let off it returns to the reading it was showing before. Anyone else experience this?
(#916)
Old

Car: BMW 440XI MPPSK
Default 08-25-2017, 05:29 AM

Whats the fuel quality guage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz28/40
I just recently switched to version 8 from 5e. I'm running map 2 and whenever I get on it my fuel quality guage needle goes to zero even though the tank is full. Once I let off it returns to the reading it was showing before. Anyone else experience this?
(#917)
Old

Car: BMW 440XI MPPSK
Default 08-25-2017, 05:31 AM

Boost isnt everything - you need advanced timing plus boost to make any power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster
This engine needs fuel more than it needs cooling for high boost
(#918)
Old

Car: M140i
Default 08-25-2017, 05:36 AM

I think the boost gauge is on lfor him, where it uses fuel level
(#919)
Old

Car: 2017 340i / 2016 328i
Default 08-25-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risktaker76
Whats the fuel quality guage?
I meant to say fuel quantity guage.
(#920)
Old

Car: Bmw F30 340i
Default 08-25-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdirty340
I run straight meth all the time and the car definitely feels stronger and more consistent...however I think full meth is corroding the inline filter...apparently plastic inline filters don't hold 100% meth too well and leaks start to show up..
(#921)
Old

Car: BMW F30 330i
Default 08-27-2017, 07:01 PM

Hi. Just got an update on the new update to version 8 and noticed the settings have been changed abit.

I'm driving a F30 330i LCI which is the B48 engine. Used to use map2 during the previous version and now after the update I'm using map3. I heard that map5 is a little more aggressive than map3 but worry that my engine can't take it as it recommends using octane 93+ but in Malaysia we uses RON97. Please advise if the current fuel can be used for MAP5.

Already got the ***** full exhaust system and the BMS Billet intake. (IAT at
60 Celsius when full throttle)
(#922)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonyong
Hi. Just got an update on the new update to version 8 and noticed the settings have been changed abit.

I'm driving a F30 330i LCI which is the B48 engine. Used to use map2 during the previous version and now after the update I'm using map3. I heard that map5 is a little more aggressive than map3 but worry that my engine can't take it as it recommends using octane 93+ but in Malaysia we uses RON97. Please advise if the current fuel can be used for MAP5.

Already got the ***** full exhaust system and the BMS Billet intake. (IAT at
60 Celsius when full throttle)
Log with the least aggressive map and post in the Support Section. People will be able to assess your fuel and boost limits from there.

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#923)
Old

Car: 340i M-Sport
Default 08-28-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risktaker76
Boost isnt everything - you need advanced timing plus boost to make any power...
well yeah... you need the fuel for the timing though... preferably octane.

340i 8AT DME Stage 2 | JB4 | AP Intake | ER ** | Meisterschaft GTC | Ohlins R&T | Ground Control Camber Plates | MP LSD | 437M | RE-71R
(#924)
Old

Car: BMW M135i N55
Default 08-28-2017, 04:45 AM

Hi Terry

I have recently sold my Mini Cooper S (B48) and removed my JB4 from it and now driving an M140i (B58)..

Is my JB4 the same unit as used for the B58 and is it just a simple firmware update needed to use with my M140i?

What maps are safe to use using 99 RON pump fuel (UK) as I have read that there may be fuel restrictions with my model car which may restrict what can be map used?

Thanks
(#925)
Old

Car: 420i
Default 08-29-2017, 03:30 AM

Are there any installation instructions for the EWG and fuel pressure connectors for B48 engines anywhere?
Is it just a matter of installing them, running REV8 of the firmware and that's it?