N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: 2007 335
Default 12-14-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Worth a shot although I don't see any reason for newer firmware to work any differently than older firmware in that regard.
I had v15 and was having the high battery drain and ended up replacing the battery.

Had the same warning after I replaced the battery.

Flashed to v12 and now there is no high battery drain warning. Nothing has changed on the car other than the firmware.

Something is wrong within your code. I did notice in the change logs you were messing around with the CAN traffic and even though you didn't change previous code, anything added could also impact things in a negative way. CAN can be tricky as I have dealt with this a lot in the past, just being passive on the CAN network can still cause issues.

My prediction is you are waking things up and draining the battery.
(#27)
Old

Car: 2010 E60/535i AT FBO+WMI
Default 12-14-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Worth a shot although I don't see any reason for newer firmware to work any differently than older firmware in that regard.
Im using the BT unit... could that be a common denominator among us here?

--------------------------------------------------------------
2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, APEX EC-7 race wheels w/ST Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) 25/75%, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV w/BMS Vac adapter, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#28)
Old

Car: 2008 535xi
Default 12-14-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarContact
Im using the BT unit... could that be a common denominator among us here?
Ditto.

2008 535xi JB4 E85 HYBRID BEF DCI Inlets Stage 1 Turbos Outlets 7.5 HD FMIC Chargepipe with BOV OCC Vacuum Side OCC Performance Ignition Kit with 2-Step Colder Plugs Stage 2.5 LPFP 3" DPs
(#29)
Old

Default 12-15-2020, 09:04 AM

I am not using the BT unit. I do have a 535xi.
(#30)
Old

Car: M
Default 12-15-2020, 05:14 PM

I'm using the BT adapter as well.
(#31)
Old

Default 12-15-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410bn
I'm using the BT adapter as well.
Are you driving an E60 variant, by chance?

2010 535i M-Sport w/Sport AT/6-spd xHP Stage3, Alpine White w/Natural Leather, APEX EC-7 race wheels w/ST Coilovers --- JB4 G5 ISO Trebila (Map-6/BEF) Custom Tune, Custom Meth Setup (link) 25/75%, VRSF 3" free-flow D/Ps, MMPe DCIs, Wagner 1060 Stepped FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe/Tial BOV w/BMS Vac adapter, BMS Oil Cooler Valve
(#32)
Old

Car: M
Default 12-16-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarContact
Are you driving an E60 variant, by chance?
E92
(#33)
Old

Default 12-16-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410bn
E92
Hmmm... well thats not it then!

(#34)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-16-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboyee

My prediction is you are waking things up and draining the battery.
The JB4 is on switched power so when the ignition turns off, the JB4 loses power, and can't send anything...So that should be impossible unless something is attached to the JB4 jumping it over to constant power like a miswired FSB, PI controller, or flex fuel sensor.

What is the battery drain fault code specifically?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#35)
Old

Default 12-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The JB4 is on switched power so when the ignition turns off, the JB4 loses power, and can't send anything...So that should be impossible unless something is attached to the JB4 jumping it over to constant power like a miswired FSB, PI controller, or flex fuel sensor.

What is the battery drain fault code specifically?
Hi Terry, thanks so much for looking into this problem a few of us are experiencing.

So, the codes I have are as follows, and I dont know if one or both apply:

1) appropriately named too dead, 2DED Power management, standby current control
and
2) 2E8D Intelligent battery sensor, signal transmission

Again, thank you!

// Radar //

(#36)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-16-2020, 12:19 PM

Anything in the ECU box not powered by the orange wire on the green connector (switched power)?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#37)
Old

Default 12-16-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Anything in the ECU box not powered by the orange wire on the green connector (switched power)?
also really appreciate you looking into this. What I can say is that I have flashed the v12 about 2 days ago and have not had one high battery drain message. On v15, I would have the message if I left my car for 30 minutes or so and came back. The only variable was the version of JB4 firmware.
(#38)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-16-2020, 01:27 PM

Have you tried turning off in dash gauges to see if it's related to that? And does it not happen on map0? If it happens on v15 but not on v12 then has to be something in there just not sure what.

Burger Motorsports

(#39)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 535xi
Default 12-22-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboyee
@Dave, will BMS please investigate this? There has not been a resolution to this with multiple people having the same issue.

Since you won't supply v12, which has been said to work, please correct the issue.

Thanks!
Found it. Just a little backwards engineering to get the 12 firmware from the site. Here is the link: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/j..._32_12_T10.hex
(#40)
Old

Default 12-25-2020, 04:15 PM

I can confirm after 3 days since rolling back to 12 I no longer have the high battery drain issue. I also no longer have the gauge hijacking unresponsive until the car is driven.

Thought it might just be the battery and cold weather so I went ahead and replaced my battery a couple of weeks ago as it was 5 years old and weak. Put on trickle charger overnight and registered battery next day. I started it I still received the HBD message. This was on JB4 firmware G5_ISO_32_15 BETA. I have not tested 14 but I read it may have the same issue. Everyday since 12, and without trickle charging, no more HBD messages. There is clearly an issue here and I would like to help resolve it if you would like me to do some testing.

My vehicle is a 2009 535xi with MHD Pump BEF, new AGM 80ah battery.
(#41)
Old

Car: 2010 E61 535xi, 2011 E90 335i
Default 01-02-2021, 10:33 AM

Have been a long-time lurker, and joined the forum in order to chime in and say that I believe I have this issue on my 2010 535xi wagon as well. It has a new battery. It's only had JB4 since version 14 of firmware, and it's had this issue for the entire time. The JB4 was installed about 1 year ago and purchased new then from BMS website (in case that's helpful for hardware info).

I'm traveling for the holidays, but will be glad to rollback to 12 when I get back home, in order to test this hypothesis. Also willing to do any other things needed to help in diagnosis.

I've owned and worked on BMWs for years, and have installed JB4 successfully on multiple cars of my own and others. I love the product, and am willing to help in whatever way possible to get to the root of this issue.

Edit:

More relevant details -- I also have BMS Pump Gas BEF through MHD and Bluetooth adapter. Have tried unplugging all accessories and it has no effect on the issue.

Last edited by jlmcgehee21; 01-02-2021 at 10:40 AM..
(#42)
Old

Car: E60 535i xDrive
Default 01-11-2021, 11:08 AM

To answer Terry's question - the issue stops happening whenever I switch to map 0. I've toggled between maps 0, 1, 4, 5, and 8 and it always happens unless I'm on map 0. It has never happened when on map 0.

I do have gauges enabled and I noticed that they have been a little wonky since upgrading to the .14 firmware. I have JB4 configured for IAT on Oil (which is the MPG gauge in the E60) and it's worked great for years. Now I noticed that even when the JB4 is active it doesn't show my IAT until it gets up to 60F, the gauge minimum. Until the IAT hits 60, the gauge continues its stock behavior of showing MPG.

Like jlmcgehee21 I'm a long time lurker and have always been able to find the info I needed without posting but I signed up as well to chime in on this.

I also have a 2010 535i xDrive (sedan) and it seems that most of the people reporting this issue also have N54 E60/E61s. I don't have the bluetooth interface, but rather a regular USB cable and it's coiled up in the glove box not connected to anything.

I was running the JB4 Race BEF via MHD, but have flashed back to MHD Stage 0, and then did the complete flash back to stock (uninstall MHD, takes about 20 mins to write). The issue persisted regardless of BEF or stock, only map 0 has solved the issue.

I agree with bmwboyee that this seems CAN related, like a module is staying awake. I had a similar issue a few years ago when my VTG went bad and was keeping the CAN bus active and causing excessive current draw when the car was in standby.
(#43)
Old

Default 03-13-2021, 02:23 AM

This issue has been unresolved for quite a while. Does anyone know if Terry or anyone else at Burger is working on a new firmware to address?
(#44)
Old

Car: 2009 335i XDrive
Default 03-13-2021, 02:54 AM

I also have a slow battery drain on my modified 335xi, 2DED Power management

Last edited by Xantac; 03-13-2021 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: added code for battery drain
(#45)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 03-20-2021, 07:27 AM

Bump
(#46)
Old

Car: E60 535i xDrive
Default 04-04-2021, 08:10 AM

So I flashed back to the .12 firmware a few months ago and this issue completely went away. I upgraded to .14 last week to take advantage of the improved antilag logic and I've already had a few "high battery drain" warnings and corresponding 2DED codes.

There was definitely a change between the .12 and .14 firmware that's keeping something in the car "awake".

If there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot further, l'm game.

Last edited by hav; 04-04-2021 at 08:20 AM..
(#47)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-04-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown07
I found 32_12_T10 on my phone that I may flash back to as I'm having the same issue. I can also send this to anyone who wants it.
I know this probably is an old message, but could you please share the V12 file with me, Im having the battery drain issue and I want to troubleshoot it.
Thanks!
(#48)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav
So I flashed back to the .12 firmware a few months ago and this issue completely went away. I upgraded to .14 last week to take advantage of the improved antilag logic and I've already had a few "high battery drain" warnings and corresponding 2DED codes.

There was definitely a change between the .12 and .14 firmware that's keeping something in the car "awake".

Well yes please! I updated my jb4 firmware to the latest one a few months ago, since then, my car started throwing low battery codes especially 2DED, as of yesterday, she really freaked me out since its the first time I saw this error code: 2AB4-DME, internal error, have you ever got this message? And could it mean that my DME is shot? (Hopefully not)
Thank you!
(#49)
Old

Default 04-04-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav

Thanks, gonna have to revert back to 12 then.

(#50)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 04-04-2021, 12:57 PM

I flashed v12.. will report back. I do see v14+ have made changes to 2step/NLS making relay not required.. I do have relay still installed.. not sure if that is related. Looking for a pattern here.
Attached Images