N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default Probably rod bearing failure , options ? - 09-22-2021, 07:25 AM

I bought a 2008 xi a year ago and have put a lot of money into the car in maintenance that previous owner had neglected.
The list is huge of what Ive done. Unfortunately I had not done the rod bearings yet and now my car sounds like a helicopter !!
Started as a small tick and thought Id limp it home a few miles away. No less than a mile from home horrible sounds like a helicopter and slapping noises from inside engine.

So I need to have the oil pan removed to figure out the extextent of the damage of course.

What I dont fully understand is at what point is the engine not save-able and why ?
If rods are bent they can be changed right ? What else makes it not worth saving damage wise ?
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-22-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverb5
I bought a 2008 xi a year ago and have put a lot of money into the car in maintenance that previous owner had neglected.
The list is huge of what Ive done. Unfortunately I had not done the rod bearings yet and now my car sounds like a helicopter !!
Started as a small tick and thought Id limp it home a few miles away. No less than a mile from home horrible sounds like a helicopter and slapping noises from inside engine.

So I need to have the oil pan removed to figure out the extextent of the damage of course.

What I dont fully understand is at what point is the engine not save-able and why ?
If rods are bent they can be changed right ? What else makes it not worth saving damage wise ?
As you mentioned, a bent rod, damage to crank, cylinder walls, metal shavings throughout the motor since you kept driving it like that.
There may be quite a bit of damage now. Only way to know is tear it down.
(#3)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 09-22-2021, 10:59 AM

Thanks for reply

Tearing it down myself is not something my spine is capable of anymore unfortunately with no hoist

Sadly car may get dumped as is