N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E91 335xi
Default Stock Logs, Preparation for more Mods - 09-21-2021, 05:00 AM

Hi all!

First and foremost: Thanks for this extensive collection of knowledge called N54tech. Really helped me a lot to understand stuff and get further with issues!

I am in the process of learning how to be a DIY-mechanic with my E91 335xi. Step by step I want to go from all the preventative maintenance items up to tuning the car.

So far I did the following work:
  • Walnut blast
  • Vacuum Lines
  • Changed all fluids
  • Installed JB4 G5 ISO + JB4 Mobile (pretty neat to have the gauges in the headunit!)
  • Gaskets: OFHG + everything on Intake side
  • RB PCV Valve
  • 5" Intercooler
  • Modified Fan Shroud
  • Aluminium Coolant Flange

For now I just wanted to test the logging functionality and do some stock runs in order to rule out any major flaws. Since I dont have much experience yet, I hope you could take a look at the data and tell me if it has been done right!

What I found out so far:
  • Unfortunately I forgot to enable all cylinder logging, so only ign_1 is available in these logs
  • When I tried out Map 1, the car had misfires on cylinder 6 as soon as boost has surpassed stock levels. I suspect the coils since they are stock with 115k miles
  • There is an occasional hickup in idle, which didnt go away after walnut blasting. I suspect it might also be due to the faulty coil.
  • Even on stock boost levels, there are ignition drops on cylinder 1. Can this be caused by the issues with cylinder 6?

There are 4 log files. 1 (I hope) clean WOT run in 3rd, then a grouped log (should include a good run at the end), a log in idle and a log with Map 1 which was aborted due to misfires.

Alrght, enough text. Here are the logs:
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M4_R1_210920_192223_Map4WOT.csv (61.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: csv P32_M4_R8_210920_1828_Map4Grouped.csv (163.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: csv P32_M4_R1_210920_193214_Map4Idle.csv (38.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_210920_192028_Map1Misfire.csv (36.6 KB, 15 views)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 09-21-2021, 07:07 PM

We can't do much for your misfires...that's something you have to systematically troubleshoot via hardware (plugs, coils. injectors, etc.). Nothing other than the misfire stands out as an issue in the log.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Car: E91 335xi
Default 09-21-2021, 10:07 PM

Hi Steve.

I know that I have to sort out the misfire issue to move further, I have a set of Index 12 injectors and new coils on the way and can't wait to put them in

However I am happy that nothing else seems to stand out. Thank you for taking a look!

Best regards from Bavaria