N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: e92 335i FBO
Unhappy JB4 with Pump BEF - Fuel Trim Variance (Map 4) - 09-13-2021, 03:26 PM

Hi All,

Long-time lurker here on the forum. I have been able to troubleshoot all of my issues with existing threads until I ran into this and things have gone downhill. I finally resorted to making my first post.

I have a FBO 2007 e92 335i.

I recently installed new plugs, coils, new pre-*** O2 sensors, VC, VCG, OFHG.

Problem #1: Any WOT pulls result in being thrown into map 4 for the fuel trim variance. Occasionally a second bank misfire occurs if going to redline (cylinder is not consistent, but most times will be in cylinder 5). The car will pull into about 5000 RPMs and then the power saps, the noise changes, and I am thrown into map 4. Any partial throttle can throw me into map 4 with the same fuel trim variance notification, but it all depends on how much you get on the throttle.

Problem #2: The car now has some hesitation/surge problems from time to time (incredibly variable, some drives no problem, some drives I misfire on the second bank and have to clear out the codes). When present, it seems to get worse under light throttle load (cruising on the hwy at a constant speed for example).

I do (and have always) smell a consistent smell of fuel as if it's running rich, but I have always attributed that to the lack of cats in the car. The only code on startup I have is the 2C9F (Lamba probe heating behind catalytic converter #2).

When the misfires occur I have had a 2C7E (Lamba probe behind the catalytic converter, trimming control) and then the combustion misfire of whatever cylinder on bank 2).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things that have been done:

Tried other spark plugs/ moved them around - the problem stayed in bank 2

Tried moving around Eldor coil packs - the problem stayed in bank 2

Replaced intake manifold gaskets (this came up in an old thread from Terry and I thought I would try it as it seems to be one thing that can cause fuel trim variance - No change in the problem

Replaced all injectors from FCP Euro for a new set of index 12's - no change in the problem

Reset adaptations in both MHD and on the JB4

Installed the most current JB4 firmware as well as the most current BEF map

Ran on map 0 and the problem remains

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gone back and forth a bit with BMS. At first, they recommended a new LPFP, but from the logs, it looks like my PSI is in the healthy range. I am still sending map 1 logs at full throttle, but am pulling my hair out over here trying to diagnose this issue. I thought I would see if anyone can chime in.

Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated.

Last edited by nfitty4; 09-13-2021 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: accuracy of recent replacements
(#2)
Old

Default 09-13-2021, 03:33 PM

Also, my FF/Wastegate Adaptation always creeps up to 150 and I manually lower it to 100 - not sure if this is helpful or not.
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 09-14-2021, 10:58 AM

You'll need to upload a log for us to take a look at.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Default 09-15-2021, 11:36 AM

Hi Steve!

Thanks for chiming in. I have 3 logs below from map 0 to map 2.

Yesterday the car threw a code for the intake VANOS (2A82) for the first time as well with a 3100 code. I went ahead and cleaned the VANOS and swapped the exhaust solenoid with the intake solenoid.

Immediately after cleaning, I was able to do a few pulls that seemed clean to the redline, but now I am being pushed back into map 4 safety for fuel trim variance again.

Could the VANOS be the culprit here?

All of these logs are at datazap . me then each link - for some reason it won't let me post the full URL..

Map 0 - /u/nfitty4/map-0?log=0&data=1-4
Map 1 - /u/nfitty4/map-1?log=0&data=1-4
Map 2 - /u/nfitty4/map-2?log=0&data=1-4

Last edited by nfitty4; 09-15-2021 at 11:41 AM..
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-16-2021, 06:34 PM

Please upload the CSV file to this site for review.

Thank you

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old

Default 09-19-2021, 09:28 AM

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the noobness here - I now have them hosted here.

All of these are on 93.
Attached Files
File Type: csv map 0.csv (20.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: csv map 1.csv (17.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: csv map 2.csv (30.6 KB, 20 views)
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2021, 06:56 PM

1. LPFP is crashing...needs replaced/upgraded
2. As you said...trim variance is high...maybe exhaust leak, O2 sensor, or some other intake leak?

(#8)
Old

Default 09-21-2021, 10:23 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input! I have new rear O2s that I am installing tomorrow (the fronts were changed this past month). I also have replaced the intake manifold gaskets after reading up on Terry's thread about fuel trim variances.

I'll go ahead and order a new LPFP (on my list of upgrades, so that's exciting).

I'll report back once I have made these changes with additional logs.

Thanks!
Matt
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-21-2021, 07:08 PM

Sounds good...

(#10)
Old

Default 10-05-2021, 02:02 PM

Hi Steve,

Reporting back here - I replaced both rear O2 sensors along with upgrading to a Stage 2 LPFP.

Sometimes the car runs great occasionally after resetting adaptions via JB4. I attached the 2 logs I took when it was running well without a fuel trim variance large enough to throw it to map 4.

However, for the most part, I am still being thrown into map 4 on WOT acceleration. I occasionally will get O2 codes after extending driving (2C2E,2C7E, or 2C28). Not always, but occasionally..

Could a leak in the exhaust system by the ********* cause this? I know that was on your list to check, and it does sound like there could be a leak by the *********. Still scratching my head on this one.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 211005_1531.csv (16.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: csv 211005_1533.csv (15.5 KB, 8 views)
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-06-2021, 10:21 AM

The logs look good but if you are getting occasional trim variances...that's a PITA because it's probably a leak that is temperature sensitive or a short, neither of which are fun to track down.

(#12)
Old

Default 10-08-2021, 09:51 AM

Darn

Any suggestions on where to even start to identify where it is? With the O2 codes perhaps the ******** connections?
(#13)
Old

Default 10-13-2021, 11:22 AM

Hi Steve, sorry for the 2nd reply here.

I am starting to think it might be the MOFSETS for bank two. I had my MSD80 MOFSETS 'repaired' a while back and it seems that this could be the culprit. Have you seen this happen?