N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: honda
Default Opinion: Black Wheels Are Unattractive - 09-04-2021, 11:29 PM

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I sincerely don't understand the fad with black wheels these days.

Here's my logic: Large pretty wheels have always been to men what jewelry or engagement rings have been to women: A shiny, finely crafted accessory. Sure, you could argue that wheels are also functional objects, and that the black color fad could be derived from motorsports, but for the purposes of this metaphor, we'll stick with aesthetic reasoning because I doubt people are racing their street cars at Le Mans.

Nice Diamond rings are priced in the thousands because of their rarity and spectacle. The same could be said for a well designed wheel. But you don't see girls spray painting their rings black because "it looks cooler" or whatever.10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254

My point is, why would someone pay $3-5K for something that can't be read visually from more than a couple feet. You might as well just save some money and buy black steel wheels because that's what it looks like to 99% of the non-enthusiast population.

Black wheels are this decade's chrome spinners, and they need to die.

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for that aesthetic. If you're painting/wrapping your whole car flat black and you're going on a top secret spy mission, by all means, paint your $3000 performance wheels black.

But none of us are spies, or formula one drivers. Why are we putting black wheels on a brand new shiny car with a bright finish, and making it look like it just came out of a junk yard?

I know I'll get a lot of hate and down votes for this, but someone's gotta say it lol.

Last edited by SiyonKart; 09-08-2021 at 08:01 AM..
(#2)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 09-05-2021, 11:50 AM

See, to me any and all chrome is unattractive. Matte paint is unattractive. Lifted trucks are unattractive. Ridiculous amounts of camber is unattractive. Oversized wheels are unattractive.

Thats the beauty of life, we all have our own opinions. Personally, I'd rather have black wheels than silver. The way BMWs brakes dust, they're gonna end up black anyway. I wish somebody made 20" steelies that would clear the brakes. I'd buy them in a second. I'm not looking for attention, I'm all about blending in. Sleepers have always been the coolest cars.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550 xDrive
2010 Glacier Pearl Nissan Murano SL