N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Audi a3
Default 2018 A3 FWD JB4 giving EPC Light - 01-22-2018, 12:31 PM

I had a 2017 VW GTI that I recently sold. I wanted to move my JB4 from it over to my new 2018 A3 FWD. I plugged it all in and set it up and I got some warning lights as soon as I turned on the car:

1) EPC Light
2) Something about unable to exceed 4000 rpm.

Any thoughts?
(#2)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 01-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddtt
I had a 2017 VW GTI that I recently sold. I wanted to move my JB4 from it over to my new 2018 A3 FWD. I plugged it all in and set it up and I got some warning lights as soon as I turned on the car:

1) EPC Light
2) Something about unable to exceed 4000 rpm.

Any thoughts?
Hi,

On the FWD with the air masss meter there is a different unit that is being developed. Remove plug C and put the stock one in place and the car should run well without it. IF not then its another issue.
We have some testers on the model so if you want to jump on board we can get you sorted. Drop me a email George@burgertuning.com for the way forward.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3
(#3)
Old

Car: Audi a3
Default 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
Hi,

On the FWD with the air masss meter there is a different unit that is being developed. Remove plug C and put the stock one in place and the car should run well without it. IF not then its another issue.
We have some testers on the model so if you want to jump on board we can get you sorted. Drop me a email George@burgertuning.com for the way forward.
Thanks for the quick reply. I removed the plug and the errors don't show up anymore and the car appears to be driving just fine. I couldn't delete the error codes with the app for some reason. I had to use OBDeleven to do it. I'll send you an email to be a tester. Thanks!
(#4)
Old

Car: 2017 GTi SE
Default 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM

George,

I'm not sure if this also applies to my situation, but I have a '17 GTi that I've been running a JB4 successfully for about 1,200 miles.

Yesterday I was pulling onto the freeway in 3rd, hitting it hard, and the car lost power and the EPC light came on. I pulled off, turned the car off and waited a few minutes. Then when I started back up the light was off. But then as soon as I accelerated fairly hard a few miles later, both the EPC and CEL illuminated.

I was close to home so limped there. Started up this morning and the CEL is still on, so I took another car.

Can you guide me on what to do tomorrow morning when I have time and light to work with?

Thanks,
John
(#5)
Old

Default 02-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullserve
George,

I'm not sure if this also applies to my situation, but I have a '17 GTi that I've been running a JB4 successfully for about 1,200 miles.

Yesterday I was pulling onto the freeway in 3rd, hitting it hard, and the car lost power and the EPC light came on. I pulled off, turned the car off and waited a few minutes. Then when I started back up the light was off. But then as soon as I accelerated fairly hard a few miles later, both the EPC and CEL illuminated.

I was close to home so limped there. Started up this morning and the CEL is still on, so I took another car.

Can you guide me on what to do tomorrow morning when I have time and light to work with?

Thanks,
John
Hi,

Are you running one of the ready maps?
Sounds like its a misfire issue of some kind. If it did it the second time and you not running too much boost might be spark related. Try read the faults using the JB4 and email what you find over to George@burgertuning.com and we can work out what is happening.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3
(#6)
Old

Default 02-17-2018, 12:24 PM

Thanks. Unfortunately after looking all morning for it, it looks like my wife threw away my data cable so I have no way or reading codes. So I guess I'll order a replacement.

I'm running whatever was preloaded on the JB4. Ran fantastic for the 1,200 or so miles with nothing but smooth power.

If I uninstall the JB4 in the meantime would it be okay to drive?

Thanks,
(#7)
Old

Default 02-17-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately after looking all morning for it, it looks like my wife threw away my data cable so I have no way or reading codes. So I guess I'll order a replacement.

I'm running whatever was preloaded on the JB4. Ran fantastic for the 1,200 or so miles with nothing but smooth power.

If I uninstall the JB4 in the meantime would it be okay to drive?

Thanks,
Hi,

You can pull the JB4 unit and see if the light still persists under load. If so then take it into a dealer if you don't want to diagnose the issue yourself.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3
(#8)
Old

Default 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Thanks George.

I pulled it and the dealer said it was a bad misfire on one cylinder and slight on another. They changed out both ignition coils under warranty and didn't seem otherwise concerned.

Would running a higher boost than stock possibly expose a weak factory coil like this? Have you seen this happen before?

Thanks much.
(#9)
Old

Default 02-19-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks George.

I pulled it and the dealer said it was a bad misfire on one cylinder and slight on another. They changed out both ignition coils under warranty and didn't seem otherwise concerned.

Would running a higher boost than stock possibly expose a weak factory coil like this? Have you seen this happen before?

Thanks much.
This has happened before. Typically with more boost it will bring up spark issues if they exist be it old plugs or a coil issue. Happy it got sorted.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3
(#10)
Old

Default 02-21-2018, 08:41 AM

Thanks George. Two questions. First, is the boost gauge in the car console at all accurate?

Second, what are the peak boost numbers I should be seeing stock vs. JB4 stock map?
(#11)
Old

Default 02-21-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks George. Two questions. First, is the boost gauge in the car console at all accurate?

Second, what are the peak boost numbers I should be seeing stock vs. JB4 stock map?
The console shows boost request plus barometric pressure so its absolute pressure.
Car should run 17psi peak stock and up to 23psi relative to the map you running and weather conditions. The ECU targets torque and intake temps is one of the main parameters when calculating torque.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3
(#12)
Old

Car: SEAT Leon Cupra 290 (2016)
Default 03-06-2018, 02:57 AM

Can you explain a little bit more about the console boost gauge. I know it supposed to show absolute pressure, but when the car is in idle it show 0 in D-mode and 4-6 PSI in S-Mode. Barometric pressure at sea level is 14.7 PSI, so something does not add up, also when accelerating "normal" the boost gauge on reaches 13-14 PSI, which should then mean that the turbo is not spinning at all?

I'm confused, can you explain :-)
(#13)
Old

Default 03-06-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY-HoRsE
Can you explain a little bit more about the console boost gauge. I know it supposed to show absolute pressure, but when the car is in idle it show 0 in D-mode and 4-6 PSI in S-Mode. Barometric pressure at sea level is 14.7 PSI, so something does not add up, also when accelerating "normal" the boost gauge on reaches 13-14 PSI, which should then mean that the turbo is not spinning at all?

I'm confused, can you explain :-)
Our cars dont have the boost gauges so havent managed to figure out what it shows. My understanding is it shows ECU target and not actual boost hence it going to 0 at idle. Not sure wh the S mode will affect anything though.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3
(#14)
Old

Car: 2017 Audi A3 EA888 Gen3.B
Default 05-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Hi,

This is the B-Cycle engine right? I also have it on my 2017 A3. Do I need to have an older JB4 like him to be able to beta test?
(#15)
Old

Default 05-07-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @titan
This is the B-Cycle engine right? I also have it on my 2017 A3. Do I need to have an older JB4 like him to be able to beta test?
Hi,

He bought the unit in error but we got it working with partial function for him. Its better to wait till we announce we sending proper beta units out.
There is a hardware variance on the harness so its not something we can fix with software on the current VW JB4's.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3
(#16)
Old

Car: 2017 Audi A3 EA888 Gen3.B
Default 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Hi,

He bought the unit in error but we got it working with partial function for him. Its better to wait till we announce we sending proper beta units out.
There is a hardware variance on the harness so its not something we can fix with software on the current VW JB4's.
Oh ok! Iíll sign up when beta units come out, thanks!
(#17)
Old

Car: 2017 Audi A3 FWD 2.0
Default 09-11-2018, 03:02 AM

No fix to this yet? I just found this thread after messing with my JB4 and doing a trial and error I had narrowed it down to plug C and not being able to rev/drive over 4k rpms. I'll mess with it more tomorrow to make sure it's just Plug C for me.
(#18)
Old

Default 09-11-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhalstead
No fix to this yet? I just found this thread after messing with my JB4 and doing a trial and error I had narrowed it down to plug C and not being able to rev/drive over 4k rpms. I'll mess with it more tomorrow to make sure it's just Plug C for me.
It is sorted now and we sending out test units.
Email me name and address and a telephone number and I will send you a new circuit board to swop out. George@burgertuning.com

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2015 VW Golf 1.4TSI
2017 Audi 8V RS3