JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 535XI
Default Misfire cause injector to pop? - 09-28-2016, 08:54 PM

Hello n54 world this is more or less a learning thread and possibly looking for some insight on this issue.

I have an e60 535xi and recently have had a string of bad luck.

The other day I started my car and noticed it rumbled and idled really rough. It lasted 30 seconds and then went away. I took a mental a note and tried to drive it to see what was going on. I noticed immediately that I had lost power and the car felt like it was trying to push gravel through the engine. I ended up losing all power and upon getting my car back home and taken apart I noticed a few things.

First off I was issued a 29ce code and looked it up and realized it corresponds to rough idle and misfire on number two cylinder. While checking the code I smelt fuel start to come into the cabin of my car. This was also a huge red flag.

I then took off my engine cover and noticed immediately that my fuel line that connects to the fuel rail had snapped (pic below). I quickly called up the dealership and ordered a new one. After waiting a day for the part to get it I got back to work onto hopefully fixing my car.

I removed the fuel line and noticed that my number 2 injector seemed 'loose'. And by loose I could completely pull it out of its slot. This I know is not supposed to happen in such a way. Uponot further inspection I noticed that a misfire may have caused the injector to almost 'pop' and snap the bracket that holds the injector in place (picture below). This then resulted in what I assume the fuel line snapping and the fuel spraying all over my engine bay. I have since ordered new injectors, o rings, coils, and plugs due to the fuel being everywhere.

My question is I have a jb4 with dci ER CP and a tial BOV installed on the car. I recently changed to map 5 on the jb4 and was curious if maybe this may have caused the misfire or if it is in fact something more serious. I am by no means placing the blame on the jb4 due to me having it for 6 months and no issues. I am just trying to rule out what could have caused this issue and will it likely happen again with my new injectors?.. mind you I have 01 index injectors that have just now failed after 120k miles so the injector replacement was a must. I have done some reading up on this and others with the injector being loose issue have narrowed it down to the cylinder head becoming over-grown or too wide to properly house the injector. I hope this is not the issue because that is an extremely expensive fix if it cannot find someone who can sleeve it for me.

Any and all assistance would be appreciated.
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: E61 535XIt
Default 09-28-2016, 10:02 PM

My guess is that you had a leaking injector, the piston was at the bottom of its stroke and when you started the car it went boom. You took the right approach with the parts list you ordered. When you install the new injectors and decouplers just hope that injector goes in tight otherwise you might be right about the injector port being out of round in the cylinder head. I guess you will know once your parts arrive. Best of luck.

2008 E61 535xit MHD, VRSF CP, Tial BOV, DCI, RB Inlets and Outlets, VRSF 7"FMIC, Custom ***, BMS OCC, RB External PCV, M5 seats, LED interior/DRL, 20" Style 128 wheels, KWv3, M5 steering wheel, M-Sport conversion, Bimmer-Tech HD/Apple TV, RB Twos

2008 Lexus ISF I/H/E, Figs suspension arms, BC/swift, BC wheels, PSS (305 rear)....
1993.5 Supra 857 WHP, GT42R, CCW/R888 (305 rear)...
1968 Plymouth GTX 440 (For Sale)
2017 Chevy 2500HD Z71 LTZ

IG: CBBOOST
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i E92
Default 09-28-2016, 10:08 PM

the bracket needs to be put down correctly,
if it is there other way, it will cause to pop up the injector, brake bracket and fuel line

I cant say whats there as pictures are not opening
my 2 cents

2007 E92 335
ST - GTW3684
JB4 G5, ST Pump Flash, Fuel-It Stage 1, Meth
MT (after swap),
MFactory LSD
(#4)
Old

Default 09-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levan-i
the bracket needs to be put down correctly,
if it is there other way, it will cause to pop up the injector, brake bracket and fuel line

I cant say whats there as pictures are not opening
my 2 cents
Hmm.. OK. I apologize about the pictures. I have been having issues with them uploading. I am assuming that was the issue then. But will know more once I get the new injectors.
(#5)
Old
Nick_335i

Car: 2008 335i
Default 10-30-2016, 12:21 PM

any update on this?
(#6)
Old

Default 10-30-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_335i
any update on this?
I ended up replacing all 6 injectors with index 12 and have gotten some leaky injector symptoms. My number 6 injector will be completely replaced because the threads were damaged upon shipping. As of now my car has been sitting for a bit until I get the injector. Once I replace all o rings on all injectors and 6 installed I'll update some more.