JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2019 BMW 330i
Exclamation 2019 G20 330i - Map 2 Logs (boost/throttle fluctuating) - 12-04-2021, 03:44 AM

(pardon the new account, don't have the email for my old lurker account)

Howdy y'all,

I'm currently running a 330i on Map 2 with a DP and ~94 octane fuel (AKI). I'm noticing some weird behaviour (from throttle closures?) when running the car in cooler (sub 15C) weather. The behaviour doesn't seem to occur in Map 3 where boost is a lot flatter (far less throttle dips) but trim steps up fairly fast.

I have a log of the Map 2 run. I apologise that its a little junk as I ran it spontaneously after noting the boost swings/throttle closures.

Any help would be appreciated as this foreign territory for me coming from NA BMWs and turbo Audis.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M2_R1_211203_2329.csv (16.1 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by bombstar; 12-05-2021 at 02:44 AM..
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 12-08-2021, 10:58 AM

Something isn't right there. Maybe an install issue? Upload pictures of your install so we can check them out.

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#3)
Old

Default 12-09-2021, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Something isn't right there. Maybe an install issue? Upload pictures of your install so we can check them out.
All of the issues went away for the most part by lowering gain to 10 and/or just running Map 3. But, it is still a little funky.

I'll try to get some photos in the morning. One suspected question is my EWG connection (A friend had the connector/wire melt) as I had an issue shortly after going to V20 where the waste gate was locked open (and the car built 0/negative boost) until I popped the car into neutral and back into drive. After that, the car behaved completely normally.

A Map 3 log is attached to show the difference.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M3_R1_211208_2235.csv (40.5 KB, 55 views)

Current:

2019 BMW 330i
2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T

Former:

2015 Audi A3 Quattro [EQT]

Last edited by bombstar; 12-09-2021 at 02:32 AM..
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-09-2021, 11:36 AM

Yeah, post pics....you shouldn't have to drop PID gain to 10 and it still seems a bit wonky. You could also disconnect the EWG connector completely to test.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#5)
Old

Unhappy 12-12-2021, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Yeah, post pics....you shouldn't have to drop PID gain to 10 and it still seems a bit wonky. You could also disconnect the EWG connector completely to test.
Sorry for taking a few days, work took most of my time so I elected to drive my other car.

Photos aren't great (May upload them separately and I have a few more) as I took them after work but this is the current state of things. I can take more with things unplugged to show the state of the pins/connectors if you need. I tried to keep the JB4 away from the OEM wiring as it wasn't terribly well done when it was replaced.

Also attached is a Map 0/2 log. The first run is 0, then I drove the car around to relearn Map 2 before doing 2 runs.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M0_R3_211211_1827.csv (29.8 KB, 49 views)

Current:

2019 BMW 330i
2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T

Former:

(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: Evo VIII
Default 12-13-2021, 03:39 PM

It's getting better as it was REALLY bad. Throttle closure isn't great, but may need some more time for adaptions?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Question 12-13-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon @ BMS
It's getting better as it was REALLY bad. Throttle closure isn't great, but may need some more time for adaptions?
Yeah, I’m not too familiar with JB4 but from a general tuning/automotive standpoint things looked and felt rough. I’m going to keep things weak for now because I’m a little worried about the car. I was quite surprised by how lax my DME is and I can’t imagine it being a replacement DME would make much difference.

Anything else you want to see regarding wiring?

Current:

2019 BMW 330i
2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T

Former:

(#8)
Old

Default Update after time for adaptation + ~10 more runs - 12-24-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon @ BMS
I’ve let it settle in for a while on Map 1, this is about as good as it’s really getting. I’ve attached another log.

Some info:
- Car is running E20
- Oil consumption seems to have spiked no matter the map, safety map included. No smoke or smell though.
- No idle issues or surging.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M1_R1_211222_1643.csv (24.7 KB, 44 views)

Current:

2019 BMW 330i
2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T

Former:

(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-27-2021, 11:58 AM

Not too bad...update to V21 and put all your user adjustment settings back to the default values...then lets see how a log on map 1 looks.

(#10)
Old

Car: 340ix
Default 12-27-2021, 05:58 PM

Mind posting the default values for the g20 @steve. It seems like terrys post on default values seem outdated for gen1 b58
(#11)
Old

Car: G20 330i, F25 X3, B9 SQ5, C7.5 A7
Default 12-27-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800
Mind posting the default values for the g20 @steve. It seems like terrys post on default values seem outdated for gen1 b58
It's the same as in the link below.

JB4 B48/B58 Firmware, Settings, and Notes - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
(#12)
Old

Unhappy Update and quite a severe issue. - 01-23-2022, 03:32 AM

Sorry for being gone a hot minute!

Here is a Map 1 log that came out well. The log was done with ~E24 mix as even Map 1 was a no go with anything less than E20. The most success I had was with a Map 6 based on my Map 2 which built timing far more linearly.

However, last night everything came to a head where the car started knocking hard and then the JB4 cut out about 5 minutes after I swapped to Map 8 to try to minimise any further timing drops. Unfortunately, Map 8 showed basically the same pattern of timing drops after changing up a gear; even at partial throttle. I've attached the auto logging from after the first incident. This was also the first time the car threw knock codes. I noticed in the Map 6 log that the boost targets vs what I set didn't seem quite right when compared with any of my previous driving.

At first I thought it was just the mobile connector dropping out and it was unrelated. This was because after the connection dropped and I had to stop the car it was now stuck on 'awaiting handshake' whenever I tried to reconnect. However, I can't get anything from the JB4 wired either. For now I've removed the JB4 and the car stopped having timing drops immediately.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P58_M1_R1_211227_1521.csv (7.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: csv P58_M1_R1_220107_2114.csv (7.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: csv P58_M6_R12_220122_2300.csv (73.8 KB, 28 views)

Current:

2019 BMW 330i
2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T

Former:

(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: Evo VIII
Default 01-24-2022, 12:48 PM

Logs look good, definitely making more power in map 1.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#14)
Old

Default 01-26-2022, 04:56 AM

Cool, glad at least something looks good right now. I’m still wary of the misfires though. It looks to coincide with the trim spikes after shifting gear. I have a few other logs from the Map 6 and 8 after as well.

I’ve managed to get the JB4 going as a test on Map 8. Judging by how I had to try a few times (moving the wiring loom around at the JB4 end after disconnecting the 2 batteries) it looks like the JB4 probably lost power while I was driving.

Current:

2019 BMW 330i
2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T

Former:

Last edited by bombstar; 01-26-2022 at 05:01 AM..