N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 bmw 535xi
Default Knock Talk ['08 535xi pure stage 2 running e30] - 02-05-2020, 09:27 PM

Hey guys,

So recently i've been getting a knock code, 2E69. I'm FBO with pure stage 2 turbos EXCEPT intercooler. still on stock intercooler. MHD race BEF with jb4.

so the strange thing is, I've NEVER gotten a knock code during or immediately after a pull. it has only happened when cruising on the freeway. the first time it happened, i had been driving on the freeway for about an hour, and it threw the following codes:

2E69 Knock sensor signal
29E0 fuel mixture control
2B28 DMTL micro leak
3100 low boost mode engaged

I have since gotten the knock sensor signal, however, the fuel mixture stuff hasnt come back since. After reading up I've written it off to running e30.

I've been mainly running Jb4 in map 5 since first knock event. first knock event was map 6, 20 psi max target.

I am really at a loss, because I log all my pulls and nothing stands out. Ive even tried to log on the way home from work and 'catch' it throwing a knock code but nothing yet.

this has left me with a few questions about knock in general:

1. if the engine knocks, will it immediately throw the code and go into low boost? or can it happen minutes later?

2. knock can happen at different intensities. To throw a knock code does the knock need to be fairly strong or violent?

3. what should I be looking for in logs to indicate a knock event?

thanks so much for help guys!

Edit:

Very interesting thread on knock code types and bad cam causing knock code:

2e69 code

Last edited by inline6xi; 02-06-2020 at 08:49 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 02-06-2020, 08:44 AM

which BEF are you running? the bms ethanol one on 20PSI might have timing that is too aggressive for e30

335xi sedan 6mt / MMP 1k turbos / MHD FlexFuel + AIC6 PI / South Bend Stg3 clutch
535xi wagon 6mt / ebay 17t / FBO
(#3)
Old

Default 02-06-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn42
which BEF are you running? the bms ethanol one on 20PSI might have timing that is too aggressive for e30
Good question, I should have stated.

MHD Race BEF.
(#4)
Old

Default 02-06-2020, 05:01 PM

just came across this thread. god I hope this isnt the case.

N54: Knock sensor bank 1
(#5)
Old

Default 02-08-2020, 05:57 PM

bought a new knock sensor, installing today.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-08-2020, 08:58 PM

Curious what happens here..

Hoping for the best for you

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 02-08-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6xi
Hey guys,

So recently i've been getting a knock code, 2E69. I'm FBO with pure stage 2 turbos EXCEPT intercooler. still on stock intercooler. MHD race BEF with jb4.

so the strange thing is, I've NEVER gotten a knock code during or immediately after a pull. it has only happened when cruising on the freeway. the first time it happened, i had been driving on the freeway for about an hour, and it threw the following codes:

2E69 Knock sensor signal
29E0 fuel mixture control
2B28 DMTL micro leak
3100 low boost mode engaged

I have since gotten the knock sensor signal, however, the fuel mixture stuff hasnt come back since. After reading up I've written it off to running e30.

I've been mainly running Jb4 in map 5 since first knock event. first knock event was map 6, 20 psi max target.

I am really at a loss, because I log all my pulls and nothing stands out. Ive even tried to log on the way home from work and 'catch' it throwing a knock code but nothing yet.

this has left me with a few questions about knock in general:

1. if the engine knocks, will it immediately throw the code and go into low boost? or can it happen minutes later?

2. knock can happen at different intensities. To throw a knock code does the knock need to be fairly strong or violent?

3. what should I be looking for in logs to indicate a knock event?

thanks so much for help guys!

Edit:

Very interesting thread on knock code types and bad cam causing knock code:

2e69 code
I think you will be fine. Generally if a cylinder knocks, it shows which cylinder in the code. Seems more like the signal from the sensor is bad. So a code for bad sensor is what I would think you are seeing. Although I havent specifically looked up that code.
(#8)
Old

Default 02-09-2020, 02:47 PM

got another knock code this morning, with new sensor. I'm installing INPA on an old laptop so I can get more info on this.
(#9)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 03:15 PM

So I am still getting knock codes. This is usually happening during light load, 2-3000 rpm and not under much boost, usually 1-4 Psi. I've never had this code under heavy boost, pulls etc.

Freeze frame data using INPA was at 2200 rpm, 4.7 V.

I inspected all of my plugs, and they all look almost new (replaced 4000 mi ago) except cyl 4 plug is fouled and smeeled like fuel. So, I inspect my injectors and they are all index 8 or 9 EXCEPT cyl 4 injector is index 7. Coincidence? I don't know.

I'm thinking that I need new injectors, or possibly just replace the one injector for cyl 4.

Thoughts?
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-16-2020, 10:52 PM

At minimum id replace the cyl 4

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.