N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08' 335i
Default First time install of *********, need advice - rusted nuts/bolts - 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Hello Forum Users,

I'm doing my first install of my first set of ******* *********, and it seems that the nuts and bolts that bind my exhaust to my OEM ********* are super rusted. I'd wager someone had ********* on the car beforehand, but then replaced the OEM ones with garbage nuts....maybe I'm wrong, I dunno, and it's not really relevant as I'm in this situation, whateves... The car hast 174k KMs on it (108miles).

I took a wire brush to the nuts and threads and it appears that large portions of nut missing due to corrosion. It's so bad, the threats that protrude beyond the nut are unidentifiable as threads.

Since I had cleaned off the rust from the bolt and have a good amount of socket, +hammered it on, I figured it would knock off with the impact wrench, but it did not loosen. All that happened was I turned the nut as I held down the GO button on the wrench...

SOOO I devised a NEW strategy on the next nut, which involved tighten and loosen impact attacks, and even though I can see a visible crack between the nut and the flange, it's still quite stuck.

At this point, I'm don't pretending I can deal with the rusted shiz with WD-40 and the next two nuts are a harder to get at and so I as you kind folks, what are my next best moves?

I understand heat is good, but this is super rust, and as I imagine heat is good for seized nuts and maybe not so much nuts and bolts rusted into incomprehensible bits of metal.

Thank you in advance!
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default 07-25-2019, 05:35 AM

I had to cut mine off. If you don't have a grinder just drill at the sides of the nuts and hammer them with a chisel until they come apart

335xi sedan 6mt / MMP 1k turbos / MHD FlexFuel + AIC6 PI / South Bend Stg3 clutch
535xi wagon 6mt / ebay 17t / FBO
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 07-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Sadly, don't be surprised if the O2 sensors stop working afterwards, due to impact.
(I'm assuming DeePees, as it's all asterisked out)

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#4)
Old

Car: 08' 335i
Default 07-25-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codesx
Sadly, don't be surprised if the O2 sensors stop working afterwards, due to impact.
(I'm assuming DeePees, as it's all asterisked out)
Yes, this I'm aware of...they are fragile as I understand.