N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive 6mt
Default SPEC 2+ Clutch Done after 2 years - Looking at Upgrade - 04-30-2018, 05:31 PM

I bought a Spec 2+ with the lightweight SMFW in 2016. Held strong and was amazing for two years. Now it has started to slip, getting worse and worse everyday.

Is this the normal life of an aftermarket clutch for high HP cars? My last Dyno was at 502AWHP and 512 AWTQ. I don't ever high rev dump the clutch for launching. I've maybe raced from a dig once in the two years having the clutch. 90% of my full throttle driving is during logging runs, so not very often. Never been to a track or drag strip.

If the clutch is gone and slipping, what is my flywheel going to look like, should I be replacing that as well?

Does anyone have suggestions for what I should look for in an upgrade that will hold the power for more than two years?

Thanks so much for any input!

2011 E92 335i xDrive N55 6MT PWG

PS2, Pure Inlet, GFB DV+, BMS Intake, ********* DP, ER CP, Dinan Exhaust, CM10 + CM5 Dual nozzle BMS Meth (99.99%), JB4 ISO 5.14, Pump BEF MHD
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 05-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Have been running 20psi daily and 25 when needed since 2015.

Am DCT and have had no issues with the OEM clutch providing high enough plate pressure is trigger via load in the BEF.

Not done too many miles over that time though - probably 20k ish.

Providing you've not done a really high number of miles, based on what you said in post 1 re how the car is used, 2 years doesn't seem very long

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s | KW3 Coilovers

Last edited by keyap; 05-01-2018 at 07:38 AM..
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i 6MT RWD
Default 05-01-2018, 09:09 AM

I don't know what a DCT has to do with his manual trans clutch question.
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 05-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I don't know what a DCT has to do with his manual trans clutch question.
OP asked if experience was normal lifespan and given I've been running an OEM DCT clutch at similar levels and used the car in a similar way for a longer period, I would expect an upgraded manual to hold up better.

Mileage however hasn't been quoted - depending on this, lifespan may be correct?

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | Berk Race Full Exhaust | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s | KW3 Coilovers

Last edited by keyap; 05-01-2018 at 11:03 AM..
(#5)
Old

Default 05-01-2018, 11:11 AM

Sorry guys should have specified 6MT

What are people running with similar power levels to mine? Keep in mind I am AWD. Correct me if Iím wrong but AWD dyno numbers translate a bit higher at the flywheel than similar RWD dyno numbers right?

Anyone seen a SPEC 2+ not able to handle these power levels before? Is it reasonable that the clutch died after two years?

What would most users reccomend for an upgrade?

Been searching a lot but most guys are FBo + meth around 400 - 450 RWHP and are fine with the spec 2+. Iím having a hard time finding info on PS2 500+ clutch and flywheel information.

Any help is much appreciated, even just pointing me in the right direction!

PS2, Pure Inlet, GFB DV+, BMS Intake, ********* DP, ER CP, Dinan Exhaust, CM10 + CM5 Dual nozzle BMS Meth (99.99%), JB4 ISO 5.14, Pump BEF MHD
(#6)
Old

Car: 2011 535xi
Default 05-07-2018, 08:01 AM

Judging by your dyno, you just answered the question for yourself. The Spec Stage 2+ on their website states 545 ft lbs power handling, which is measured at the flywheel. Figure 20% drivetrain loss for AWD and youre looking +/- 430 ft lbs max capacity. You stated you put down 512 to the tires, so just going by that, you've exceeded the "max torque" of that clutch. Their best offering, in my opinion, is the Stage 3+ anyway, as it drives incredible, doesn't have the chatter of the puck design Stage 3 or 4, and still offers a decent service life, while having a 671 lb/ft of torque limit.

As far as service life, aftermarket performance clutches are built to a different standard than a factory, or OEM style clutch. The discs are thinner, often the materials are softer, and the target is performance and the ability to withstand heat as opposed to a nice quiet and long living service life. Think of it as a comparison to brake pads since the materials are similar... your race pads are never going to last as long as a set of factory pads because they are engineered for a different purpose.

As far as comparing yourself to others, you cant do that with a wearable item because things like your vehicle being AWD, your driving habits, particular climate you live in, condition of the transmission and supporting components etc will all vary. I would always get 20K+ out of my clutches, and on every one of my cars I installed a Spec 3+ on, I never had failures, and every car exceeded 800 horsepower. That being said, the one time I had a shop do it long ago before I had time and the ability to do it myself, it lasted 11,000 miles, and when I sent it back to Spec, they told me it was installation error and incorrectly setting up the clutch. At the time I didn't want to believe them, however after not only 100+ successful installs of their product myself, but 7 vehicles that ran the same clutch over and over with drag strip runs, daily driving etc, I never had a failure or premature wear, but ive seen others that didn't have the same results. With that though, I also didn't beat on the cars other than when at the drag strip. With your AWD, you are likely slipping the clutch quite a bit (whether you know it or not) due to the fact that the laws of physics wont allow a 3600 lb vehicle to go from zero to fast in a split second when the tires don't spin, and the car is at a dead stop, so the only point of load and slip will be the clutch. On a 2WD car, typically the tires will spin and allow lockup of the clutch (unless you slip it when launching), which will reduce the wear, or you run large enough slicks with a big sidewall, and you see the sidewall flex in conjunction with the internal springs on the clutch and a combination of slip.
(#7)
Old

Default 05-09-2018, 05:19 PM

Thanks so much for the insight! I pulled the trigger on the Spec 3+ with steel SMFW. Will update When installed.

(#8)
Old

Car: 2011 535xi
Default 05-09-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtyr
Thanks so much for the insight! I pulled the trigger on the Spec 3+ with steel SMFW. Will update When installed.
I dont think you will be disappointed... thats about as good as it gets until you get into high dollar specialty and twin disc setups, but I honestly appreciate the simplicity of a single disc, and not having to worry about issues, adjustments etc.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Sport
Default 05-10-2018, 03:20 AM

2 years for a clutch with more than 2.5 torque than oem car is great. It depends different driver style and how many times the clutch is holding tq against trans.
Double or Tripple disc usually you get best results on e.t but lifespan is less for normal street/ highway use.

13 BMW 335ix Full Weight 10.64 @129mph N55 WR SOLD
15 BMW M4 Full Weoght 10.69@133mph stock turbos SOLD
18 BMW XXXX Car in Process
drag track online set up contact on Instagram @luchocampusano YouTube Lucho Campusano
(#10)
Old

Default 06-05-2018, 05:00 PM

Installed the spec 3+ with new spec steel SMFW this weekend and have been slowly breaking it in like a grandma. I have to give a big shoutout to Jeff at top gear solutions. He sold me the last one and was again super helpful, very quick to ship, and a true professional. He happened to also be the lowest price but even if he wasn’t I would do business with him again. I’ll make another post after breaking in 500 miles of city granny driving. Every day it gets smoother and smoother. Had a rock shatter my sunroof on the highway so will have to get that fixed before I finish break in and start to let her unwind.

(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtyr
Installed the spec 3+ with new spec steel SMFW this weekend and have been slowly breaking it in like a grandma. I have to give a big shoutout to Jeff at top gear solutions. He sold me the last one and was again super helpful, very quick to ship, and a true professional. He happened to also be the lowest price but even if he wasnít I would do business with him again. Iíll make another post after breaking in 500 miles of city granny driving. Every day it gets smoother and smoother. Had a rock shatter my sunroof on the highway so will have to get that fixed before I finish break in and start to let her unwind.
Awesome man, now you can really turn her up!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#12)
Old

Default 08-21-2020, 01:32 PM

Just to follow up on my above post saying I'll come back when it's broken in, sorry took me a bit here! After about 50,000kms it is a wonderful clutch/flywheel, been holding strong and it is very comfortable to drive daily, even in traffic. The SMFW chatters a bit but i found it actually goes away if i rest my hand on the shifter and put a bit of pressure towards 4th gear. I know there's a transmission fluid combo out there guys say works to make it go away but can't recall what the mix was if someone wanted to chime in on that but for me the chatter is completely tolerable and I barely notice it even when windows down.

(#13)
Old

Car: 2011 e90 335xi
Default 08-24-2020, 12:44 AM

I have a similar setup as you, and am waiting for my OEM clutch to fail and change for a mfactory smfw and SPEC clutch. From what i read in forums comparing these two the 2+ seemed to be an appropriate option, however after reading your experience, ill get the 3+, so thanks for the writeup

BTW on the smfw chatter, did you try raising your idle in MHD? From what i read it should help

2011 e90 335xi 6mt
Pure Turbos Stage 2 | PT Inlet | GFB DV+
Wagner Tuning Catted DP | Performance Evo2 FMIC
Performance Exhaust
BMS Intake | JB4+BEF | WMI | Masata CP
MovIt Front BK | H&R coilovers