N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Default DIY - Code Your Vehicle with NCSExpert - 10-21-2011, 10:17 AM

If you plan to provide coding services for friends and family, consider using this Liability Waiver. I drafted it quickly and with haste so you should double check =]

Please help the community out by updating Neutrino45's spreadsheet whenever possible. Reference below for more details.

.::FAQ::.
(click links for more information)
  1. What do I need to get started? Any laptop and a R232--OBD2 / USB--OBD2 Cable
    • This is the cable to purchase - $99. If you decide to purchase a different brand--YMMV: the Master thread and this FAQ assume the above-linked cable is purchased. It looks like this:
    • Choosing a quality cable is important otherwise you will have intermittent connectivity and other connectivity issues.
    • Comparison of other cables HERE. Response HERE; Owner chimes in HERE
    • Laptop can be x64 or x32 platform. x64: there is driver support but programs may not work properly--YMMV
    • Windows 7 compatibility confirmed--XP compatability mode not required.
    • XP also works ofc.
    • If you're using Vista go to hell. (edit: this is a joke, Windows 7 and Vista share very similar architecture...except Vista sucks)
  2. What else do I need?
    NCSExpert, Inpa, Ediabas. Download here | MediaFire Mirror
  3. Is this really hard to do??
    No.
    All you need is common sense. Reference the original thread if you have any further questions; thanks to xxxjecxxx and the community for laying all the ground work so it's easy peasy for the rest of us. Your R&D is truly appreciated.
  4. Ok I bought the cable, now what?
    Follow xxxjecxxx's PDF guide. Download here | MediaFire Mirror
  5. Why does xxxjecxxx insist on the airbag test in INPA before NCSEXPERT?? I can't get it to work, I'm stuck!
    Many who could not get it to work just skip this preliminary step. Here is why xxxjecxxx recommends it. Also make sure you are using INPALOAD.EXE.
  6. Ummm I'm getting a communication error?
    Make sure you are using the correct drivers. The ones in "\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD\USB2.0 Win XP" will not work because you are essentially using a third party cable. | MediaFire Mirror
  7. FIFO must be enabled? Tx and Rx set to "8"?? The hell is this, I don't have these options in my COM settings?
    The newer FTDI drivers do not have this feature. It's fine. It'll work. Just lower latency to "1". Leave rest default. If you decide to get the drivers straight from FTDI, reference this post for some clarification. | Update: Ok, technically the FIFO options still exist...but in registry, reference this post.
  8. Hmmm still not working. What gives?
    Reference this INPA FAQ | MediaFire Mirror
  9. Ok, ok. So I connected and stuff but when I press F1 it asks me to enter my VIN?
    After you load FSW PSW MAN, press F2 to load chassis (e89). After you select chassis (e89), press F1. Then press F3. Select CAS. Your VIN will be read and loaded. Now press F6 to go back. Select module. Read ECU.
  10. Can anyone tell me why I can not get into the CIC module??? everything else works fine.
    Update your Daten files.
    1. Download ISTA v42
    2. Update Daten Files - Reference this post
    3. THAT'S IT. Follow below ONLY if you have RETROFITTED your CIC.
    4. #0909 - FA_Write to CAS and FRM. Use #0910 if Combox.
    5. $609 - FA_Write to CAS and FRM
    6. $6VA - FA_Write to CAS and FRM
    7. now NCSExpert can read your CIC.
    8. If need more help/details reference this thread
  11. Whew! So I followed the guide, and I'm getting the hang of it...but is there a list of values somewhere? Don't really speak or read German...namsayin'
    Yes. Here is the spreadsheet------courtesy of Neutrino45 (and Genepool for implementation) and continually updated by the community.
  12. I screwed something up! Something is wrong with my vehicle! I wish I can just undo everything!
    Use the Expert Profile to code car back to OEM specs outlined in the VO. Do NOT use a blank .MAN file to return to stock settings. It is absolutely the wrong way to work.
  13. I just retrofitted my CIC and my Vehicle Info has some missing fields!
    Use the Expert Profile to code KOMBI module after Daten files have been updated. See below:

14. Alright, I see the value I want to change when viewing the main CAS module in FSW_PSW.TRC (~220 KB) but I just can't find it in any of the sub-modules!
    *Proceed at Your Own Risk* --> It's actually not completely necessary to go hunting for the values in each module. Make the changes you desire in FSW_PSW.TRC and rename it as FSW_PSW.MAN as usual. But instead of clicking "Process ECU", click "Process car" (F3), and then "Code Car" (F1).

***MAKE A FULL BACKUP BEFORE THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY***

Potential Risk - here is that you don't want your battery to run out as you recode every module.

***WARNING!*** - Known Risk - Reference this initial post. Also, please reference this followup post. <-- Solution #1 | Solution #2 <- DO NOT Use Blank MAN, Code with Expert Mode; Reference ABOVE

I have not personally fully coded an e90 this way since I throw an error at the second sub-module (see video below), but I have coded an e65 in this manner, which has 2-4x the number of modules. It went pretty quickly...2-3 minutes tops.

15. How long will it take for my cable to arrive?
    First cable took 12 days. Second cable took 14 days.

16. Having some trouble with COM port set up. Help? Disconnect from internet. Connect usb cable. It will prompt. Just cancel. Go to Device Manager. Right click-->Update Driver. Point to download directory. After installation, go back to Device Manager as shown below. Don't forget to select COM 1.

17. I read the PDF...holy ****! The setup process seems long. I'm lazy... Only need to do it once. Actual coding, assuming you already know the values to change, will take less than 5 minutes.

Video to Come...

meow~
(#2)
Old

Car: 335i & Jeep srt8
Default 10-21-2011, 12:26 PM

So are you saying you would like to code my car for me?
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 10-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Does this work for the 5 series as well?
I did a few of these already but think it was a different program. Took out the legal disclaimer screen from iDrive, killed some warning ding tones. Programmed the remote key to open and close windows and sunroof, etc.
Would like to do more as I prefer a QUIET car with minimum nanny interference.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#4)
Old

Default 10-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadd
So are you saying you would like to code my car for me?
What do you need done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
Does this work for the 5 series as well?
I did a few of these already but think it was a different program. Took out the legal disclaimer screen from iDrive, killed some warning ding tones. Programmed the remote key to open and close windows and sunroof, etc.
Would like to do more as I prefer a QUIET car with minimum nanny interference.
Yes all series except the new F series - so basically all series except the new 5, for now.

meow~
(#5)
Old
Legend

Default 10-21-2011, 04:15 PM

PDC auto engages on reverse and beeps like crazy. I want to kill beeps or not have it engage unless I ask it to.
Ring tones on ignition. Yes I know I started the car, thank you.
Fuel warning starts at 1/4 tank. Get rid of some of those as I have eyes and can read the miles remaining.
Stuff like that. Nuisances that don't make sense.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#6)
Old

Car: 335i & Jeep srt8
Default 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM

[QUOTE=AoshichanX;202756]What do you need done?
1)get rid of the idrive warning
2)auto fold mirrors when lock/unlock
3)seatbelt warning tone
4)roll up windows on lock

Maybe more ....
(#7)
Old
Legend

Default 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM

I was going for all those but some didn't work. May have been due to the laptop OS.

Sleeper 5 series
(#8)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-22-2011, 06:48 AM

You mention NOT using a blank MAN file but while modifying the options on my car I ended up screwing up a few of the modules. No flashers, no headlights, gauges all at zero except RPM gauge (?!?!).
I ended up flashing a blank MAN file twice and everything went back to normal.

Is there any reason that should never be done? The posts you linked to have no reference to blank man files being a problem.
(#9)
Old
Reaper of Speed

Car: 135i
Default 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Damn...I really gotta get my cable.

"Game Plan=Don't DIE!"-GriMM
"Plan B:Capture The Enemy Flag!"-PHANTOM666
(#10)
Old

Default 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver
You mention NOT using a blank MAN file but while modifying the options on my car I ended up screwing up a few of the modules. No flashers, no headlights, gauges all at zero except RPM gauge (?!?!).
I ended up flashing a blank MAN file twice and everything went back to normal.

Is there any reason that should never be done? The posts you linked to have no reference to blank man files being a problem.
It's not the orthodox approach.

You should use NCS Expert Profile to process the module or process the car. SG_CODIEREN.

What Expert Profile does is read your Vehicle Order and code the car per your vehicle order

--

The MAN file is a manipulation file. Under the FSW PSW MAN profile, you are telling NCSExpert to make changes according to the changes made in the manipulation file.

If there are no changes and it's blank, then it's goes to default. So basically the .MAN file is the settings/config file. What you are doing is deleting the contents of the config file.

On the PC, if you delete the config/settings file for a given software then run it...all your customizations are gone and you are left with the defaults.

The difference is that the defaults are not necessarily specific to your vehicle.

--

With NCS Expert Profile, it scans all your options and creates a config file custom to your vehicle.

meow~

Last edited by AoshichanX; 10-25-2011 at 09:34 AM..
(#11)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 12-24-2011, 11:17 AM

this seems hard lol...i just want someone to code my car so my mirrors fold in and my windows roll up.....if anyone in arizona or near let me know
(#12)
Old

Car: e89 z4
Default 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM

appreciate your great post!!!

this is Tommy a new comer in BMW
(#13)
Old
Administrator

Car: M340i,X5,Raptor,C7 ZR1
Default 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwhite
this seems hard lol...i just want someone to code my car so my mirrors fold in and my windows roll up.....if anyone in arizona or near let me know
Just get the Mods 4 Cars module if you are lazy.
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...ode=view&id=65

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#14)
Old

Car: 201 535i M sport
Default Need some help coding a E60 - 09-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Hello,

So I am following the instructions put forth here, in trying to code my E60. I am using a known to be good cable borrowed from a friend, and I am going though the PDF. I get as far as the point where you hit F6 and then hit F4 to get a list of modules to connect to. In my case, instead of pressing F6 to enable F4, I get a error after pressing F6.

COAPI-1141: FSW faulty TCM_ALIVE_MONITOR

See screenie..

So I get me VINM, and I get my FA (where can I decode that?)

Any help out there?
Attached Images

• 1987 Mazda MX-6 GT 4WS - RIP
(#15)
Old

Default Update.. - 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Well, I started off with a fresh install, and now I cant get the thing to read the FA anymore. It gives a ERROR_ECU_INCORRECT_RESPONSE_ID now after it pulls the VIN down..

(#16)
Old

Car: 2010 535i M Sport
Default 09-17-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buskeyl
Well, I started off with a fresh install, and now I cant get the thing to read the FA anymore. It gives a ERROR_ECU_INCORRECT_RESPONSE_ID now after it pulls the VIN down..
Sounds like you didn't put the JB4 into Map 0.

2010 535i M Sport - Platinum Gray/Dakota Black/Anthracite Bamboo
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, ER Charge Pipe, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 160 LED angel eyes
(#17)
Old

Default 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
Sounds like you didn't put the JB4 into Map 0.
Yep,

Thanks for the reply. I took the thread to the 535 forum in case it was a E60 thing, and I worked through it. But the JB4 had me there for a bit..

(#18)
Old

Car: Z4 s35i 7DCT
Default 10-09-2012, 02:23 AM

Does anyone know how to code/set the RPM for Launch Control??

E89 N54 / Wedge / RB Turbos / AFE DCI / HPF FMIC / Stett CP / Forge DV's / AR Cattless DP's / BMS OCC / RB PCV2 / BMS Spacers
(#19)
Old

Car: e92 335i
Default 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM

Ok, so I've got coding down on my car. Pretty easy. Now my buddy wants me to code his e82. Do I need to start all the way from the beginning as far as making the backup file of his ECU settings or can i just start at uploading the tsc file, renaming it to man changing the stuff i want to change then coding it?

2011 335is DCT, FBO
(#20)
Old

Car: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport
Default 01-15-2013, 02:31 PM

I notice that the link to the cable says that it works on 1998-2010 models. What about 2011 and up? Specifically, will this work with a 2011 135i? If so are the coding instructions the same?

Last edited by loesch; 01-15-2013 at 03:08 PM..
(#21)
Old

Car: 08 e90 sedan
Default 06-08-2013, 02:06 PM

If I follow these instructions to the letter, does that mean that when NCSexpert gets my modules and initially creates that file, that my alpina flash, bms flash and any coding someone else has done will be erased?
(#22)
Old

Car: 08 135i/00 Miata
Default 07-08-2013, 07:20 AM

other coding will likely be erased depending what you do. you won't lose your alpina b3 flash though.
(#23)
Old

Car: 07 335xi
Default 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM

I started here as this is a good write up but I encountered some issues that after a lot of time I worked out but was very frustrating.

I have a 2007 335Xi with JB4 and some other bits. The build date is 06/07

First thing I bought an Ebay cable which I think has worked as it should the whole time. I found other reasons and fixes every time I had a programming error.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251299283265...84.m1439.l2649
Came from user thinkpan in Cali. delivery was fast. 3 days CA to IN.

As for the driver I am using. Drivers in this thread might work as well as the drivers that came with the device but I am running the drivers that come packaged with the bimmerboost.com flash tool here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563 v1.0.0.4

My car did not like the software in most of these DIY pages and that gave me fits. I believe my issue came from 2 things. One, me trying to enable things that don't work on an 07 which in turn results in a failed coding process and two, out of date daten files for my car because I recently had the turbo's replaced under warranty and I believe they updated my car software/daten/firmware/whatever the proper term is here to the latest version which then required newer sp-daten version which then required a newer version of the EDIABAS than is included here.

I used.
Bimmerboost.com Flash v1.0.0.4 USB-ODB cable drivers (serial)
BMW Standard Tools 2.12
-EDIABAS v7.2.0 Beta 405
-NCSEXPERTv3.1.0
-INPA V5.0.2
SP-Daten V49 or V49.7 (have not been able to verify which I recieved)
BMW Coding Tool V2.5.0 -not required just an app to help you make changes faster and has built in translation

After hours of trying different daten files which are ~10gb ish for the whole package I finally worked my way up to V49 and then things started working better. I found one mention that you can tell the daten version of a stock car from the UIF page in INPA but I brute forced it stepping one version at a time until it worked.

MAKE SURE JB4 IS IN MAP 0. It got really late and I was testing between every flash and a couple times it spent 5 minutes thinking my chinese cable was quitting but really it was my fault.

I recommend reading one ecu module and editing one value at a time until you know if its a working option or not. I tried one thing and it worked so I thought I was good to go. I went wild changing every setting I want then did a CODE CAR and it failed and messed up all my instrument cluster and idrive. So I went back to stock and started with one module then I changed one setting in that module and flash it. if flash was successful/no errors, tested, changed next desired setting, repeat... If it failed then I changed that setting back to stock and moved on.

Turns out many things are not functional on the 07 that I was trying which caused a lot of failed coding.

Hope this helps somebody else
(#24)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335XI
Default 04-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Guys, The download links on step 2 are broken
(#25)
Old

Car: 335I
Default 04-14-2014, 02:21 PM

any one know where I can get these files. The ones I have dont work, I have searched and searched and cannot find a good source to get these from. Please help, getting very frustrated... Links in this thread do not work for downloading the software.

Thanks!
Rodney