N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 135i
Default N54 Single Turbo 1/4 Mile Launch Discussion - 02-11-2015, 10:05 PM

So what is looking to be the best way to launch one of these with the auto transmission?

Launch in first with heavily limited boost in first and second and short shift into third?

Launch in second and brake boost HARD?

Just kind of curious what everyone has had success with.

2008 135i 4L80E Swap - 807 WHP
VM 6466 Single Turbo Kit | JB4 | BMS Flash via MHD | Fuel-It Stage 3 | BMS Port Injection | E85

For all JB4 Mobile/Connect Kit requests, email me at: support@jb4connectkit.com

For JB4 Mobile feedback (bug reports, minor annoyances, etc.), email me at: feedback@jb4connectkit.com
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 02-11-2015, 10:10 PM

I don't have a big single but 2nd gear launching just makes a lot more sense. Longer gears are great for big power cars. Good weight transfer set up and sticky azz tires

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#3)
Old

Car: 09' 335i Sedan
Default 02-12-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacpro91
So what is looking to be the best way to launch one of these with the auto transmission?

Launch in first with heavily limited boost in first and second and short shift into third?

I'll be going to the local strip this weekend to figure this out.
Just hope the trans holds up.
(#4)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 02-12-2015, 07:42 AM

I only tried one launch and rarely launch the car regardless, but coming into 3rd it wanted to blow the tires off in a major way. This was a 2nd gear launch.

Bottom line: it's hard to get the big singles + 6AT to get out of the hole.

NOS!
(#5)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 02-12-2015, 08:15 AM

A bit off topic but does anyone have a list of the say top 5 quickest/fastest 1/4mile ST cars out there (aside Shivs)?

Thanks,
Rob
(#6)
Old
ex deus machina

Car: E92 N54 335i
Default 02-12-2015, 08:39 AM

I found that its completely pointless to practice launches on the street and try to apply the same technique to the tack, on the street car does a huge burn out, but hooks like a son of a bitch on a prepped track…so that’s that

Daily: G30 M550i JB4
Winter Beast: Audi S4 4.2L V8, Supercharger, brakes, suspension & exhaust mods
Wifes': F15 M50d clone, DUDMD tune, WMI, MPPK front & 50i rear brakes, M50d grill and trim
Gone: E92 N54 468wtq
(#7)
Old

Car: AW 135i
Default 02-12-2015, 09:05 AM

Even though I'm 6mt, I feel like starting in second with a single will always be better. I was gonna give it a shot becuase I've found 1st has always been too short and just spins, especially when making more power with a single and not even having a gear long enough to build full boost..

2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD & Axles, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV
Best stock turbo 12.5 @ 19.46 spinning all the way down
RIP 2008 AW/BL 135i
(#8)
Old

Default 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
A bit off topic but does anyone have a list of the say top 5 quickest/fastest 1/4mile ST cars out there (aside Shivs)?

Thanks,
Rob
Aside from shivs car, there are only 2 single turbo guys i am aware of who have hit the quarter mile.

I know a guy in florida named matt had a proven power kit 6at car and theres a vid of him going 13.0 @ 120 mph. 19-20 psi, conservative timing, hta3586r, easing it out of the hole from 2nd gear it seems. on street tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWBpm8GYAI

Also, Dan (ak335i) has been mid 12s with a high 120s mph trap speed, and currently holds the trap speed record with 133mph. 12.8 @ 133mph with a 2.7 60 ft. proven power 6466, 6at, street tires. picking up 33 mph on the back end is pretty huge though. def making some serious power.

Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe.

Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Past 1998 acura integra rs: jrsc @ 6 psi and bolt ons.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 135i M Sport
Default Holy Thread Revival Batman! - 07-30-2017, 06:44 PM

Now that people have had some time to try different things, how are the ST 6AT people doing over the 1/4?

I did a 12.7 at 17psi brake boosting in 1st a few weeks ago. I have my Meth kit working now so going to start playing with the anti-lag to see what sort of boost I can make on the line.

2008 135I M-SPORT. AT. ST GTX3076R. JB4/TREBILA BEF. XHP STAGE 3. PUMP98 & 70/30 METH DPI. FOCAL IFBMW-C +IFBMW-S.
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 07-31-2017, 03:36 AM

I see this was an old thread but I'd be interested to see how things have progressed in the last 2 years. It must be pretty frustrating to suffer so much from a dig.

I guess now you guys have more twin scroll options. I thought a 1st gear launch would be best to get the rpms up as fast as possible to drive the turbine but I never considered the brake boosting. I thought the 2nd gear launches are best for those people struggling for traction in 1st.

I'm European so a single setup wasn't an option. I have a DCT as well so brake boosting isn't possible. I tried launching my stock twins in 2nd from idle and it was painful how slow the launch and spool up was. But as I say idle launch from 0 boost. Still on twins though. You'd want some kind of 2 step but in an auto I guess that's not possible yet. Maybe with some TCU coding. Who knows what could happen?

UK FBO 335i, ̶V̶T̶T̶ ̶G̶C̶s̶ China 19T, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#11)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 07-31-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
I see this was an old thread but I'd be interested to see how things have progressed in the last 2 years. It must be pretty frustrating to suffer so much from a dig.

I guess now you guys have more twin scroll options. I thought a 1st gear launch would be best to get the rpms up as fast as possible to drive the turbine but I never considered the brake boosting. I thought the 2nd gear launches are best for those people struggling for traction in 1st.

I'm European so a single setup wasn't an option. I have a DCT as well so brake boosting isn't possible. I tried launching my stock twins in 2nd from idle and it was painful how slow the launch and spool up was. But as I say idle launch from 0 boost. Still on twins though. You'd want some kind of 2 step but in an auto I guess that's not possible yet. Maybe with some TCU coding. Who knows what could happen?
Did you ever try launching with anti lag?

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#12)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 08-01-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54QC
Did you ever try launching with anti lag?
No not on a DCT. Don't think it's an option.

UK FBO 335i, ̶V̶T̶T̶ ̶G̶C̶s̶ China 19T, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#13)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 08-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac @ BMS/DMD

Brake boosting is the only option right now. However, from a hardware perspective the transmission can support a transbrake function. There would need to be an add-on box as well as flash updates to take advantage of this via xHP....but it is being worked on.
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-01-2017, 08:10 PM

You can brake boost and use anti-lag to pull back timing while brake boosting to build even more boost before pushing through your brakes.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#15)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 08-03-2017, 06:17 AM

With a big single, and an AT unless you stall it up, there is no good way to get of the hole. It simply will not build enough boost at the line. Doesn't matter what gear you are in. I fyou can get it to build boost. You want a tall sticky slick, get them nice and hot, and launch in 1st, NOT second. People who launch in second, are doing so because they are traction limited. If you have traction you want the low gear to get that 60 ft down which will pay multiplied dividends on the back end.

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time