N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
ferocity02 ferocity02 is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 586
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default Wastegate Rattle - 06-18-2014, 04:25 PM

I installed a JB4 G5 ISO on my otherwise stock 07 335i, this thing is sweet!

But now the wastegates seem to rattle much more than before (the rattling is not coming from the exhaust flap). It is more prevalent at zero throttle low rpm, like coming to a stop. More noticeable when cold. I see that menu 10 and 12 could be used to reduce some of the rattle.

Menu 10: DWP. Adjustment used to mask off throttle wastegate rattle or reduce low throttle lag, Value is multiplied by 2.

Menu 12: Base duty cycle, Adjustment used to mask low throttle rattle and/or alter low throttle boost behavior.


First question is, how do these settings work? What do they do? How are they different from each other? (they sound very similar)

And secondly, how should I change these values to better mask the rattle? What would stock settings be?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
zach1328's Avatar
zach1328 zach1328 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 198
Join Date: May 2013
Car: 535i
Default 06-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Did you already pass the 82k mile mark? I'm sure you're aware that BMW warrants the rattling waste-gate issues for 8 years and 82,000 miles.

If you're not past 82k miles I would try the local BMW dealerships to see if they will replace your turbos. I was hoping to get the rattle before 82k miles so I can get new turbos, but I'm at 77k right now and no signs of a rattling waste-gate yet.


2007 335i - JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, BMS DCI, VRSF **, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV, MMP inlets, VRSF aluminum outlets, XHP Stage 3, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms
2008 535i
N54
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
ferocity02 ferocity02 is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 586
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1328
Did you already pass the 82k mile mark? I'm sure you're aware that BMW warrants the rattling waste-gate issues for 8 years and 82,000 miles.

If you're not past 82k miles I would try the local BMW dealerships to see if they will replace your turbos. I was hoping to get the rattle before 82k miles so I can get new turbos, but I'm at 77k right now and no signs of a rattling waste-gate yet.
I am at 79k.

So without the JB4 the wastegates did rattle, but only barely on cold start. I doubt it was enough to warrant changing the turbos. With the JB4, they rattle much more, so much that the dealer might do something about it. But, if I take it in for dealer work I would have to remove the JB4 first and then the rattle would go away.
Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
zach1328's Avatar
zach1328 zach1328 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 198
Join Date: May 2013
Car: 535i
Default 06-19-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
I am at 79k.

So without the JB4 the wastegates did rattle, but only barely on cold start. I doubt it was enough to warrant changing the turbos. With the JB4, they rattle much more, so much that the dealer might do something about it. But, if I take it in for dealer work I would have to remove the JB4 first and then the rattle would go away.
Hmm that's a tough one! You can always try going to the dealer with the JB4, but if they see you have a JB4 tune they may deny the service and put it into their information systems.
If thats the case it will certainly void the extended warranty on the waste-gates and all dealerships will see that information in their system. Some mechanics won't mention your mods and will fix the issue anyways, but most will probably note your mods and void the warranty.

I would recommend taking the tune off and see if they will notice the rattle and replace the tubos. You may have to try a few local BMW dealerships if you get denied. If they all deny the rattle and replacement, then throw the JB4 back on and try again at 81k miles. If they notice the tune then it can't hurt as you'll already be losing the extended warranty in 1k miles from then.
Although if you're caught that could possibly void the HPFP extended warranty too.


2007 335i - JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, BMS DCI, VRSF **, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV, MMP inlets, VRSF aluminum outlets, XHP Stage 3, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms
2008 535i
N54
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
GtiGyver GtiGyver is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jul 2009
Car: 135i
Default 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM

bump

i too would like to know how these two parameters function and how they are different from each other.
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
Spxxx's Avatar
Spxxx Spxxx is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 711
Join Date: Mar 2014
Car: E92 335i
Default 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM

10 = DWP = default wastegate position
- this is where the WG sits at 0% open throttle
- settings range from 0-100% (0-5 on tach)
- 0 = wide open , 5= almost closed? I think
- 0 = wastegate further from closing and less chance of rattling but longer time to close and more lag.
- 5 = WG almost closed = better throttle response = more likely to rattle (but all cars vary)
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
Spxxx's Avatar
Spxxx Spxxx is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 711
Join Date: Mar 2014
Car: E92 335i
Default 06-26-2014, 05:41 PM

12 = partial throttle WG position
- settings range from 2-4 (around there)
- can be no more than 2 times your DWP setting
- lower value = WG forced further open at partial throttle = less rattle (usually)
- higher value = WG closer to being closed at partial throttle = more rattle & better throttle response
- too high of a value = chances of surging boost and (3.2 is nice for throttle response but often creates rattle)
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
Spxxx's Avatar
Spxxx Spxxx is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 711
Join Date: Mar 2014
Car: E92 335i
Default 06-26-2014, 05:42 PM

someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
GtiGyver GtiGyver is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jul 2009
Car: 135i
Default 06-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spxxx
10 = DWP = default wastegate position
- this is where the WG sits at 0% open throttle
- settings range from 0-100% (0-5 on tach)
- 0 = wide open , 5= almost closed? I think
- 0 = wastegate further from closing and less chance of rattling but longer time to close and more lag.
- 5 = WG almost closed = better throttle response = more likely to rattle (but all cars vary)
Thanks Spxxx, that follows my observations, at least for DWP.
I'll have to do some more testing but it makes sense.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
ferocity02 ferocity02 is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 586
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 06-26-2014, 08:38 PM

So what would be considered stock settings?

Do the wastegate settings revert to stock on Map 0?
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
GtiGyver GtiGyver is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jul 2009
Car: 135i
Default 06-27-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
So what would be considered stock settings?

Do the wastegate settings revert to stock on Map 0?
Not sure how to answer your first question, but "yes" to the second.
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
Spxxx's Avatar
Spxxx Spxxx is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 711
Join Date: Mar 2014
Car: E92 335i
Default 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver
Not sure how to answer your first question, but "yes" to the second.
From what I've heard, the stock (BMW) equivalent setting for DWP is somewhere between 1 & 2.5...
Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
Vorsprung_CJB's Avatar
Vorsprung_CJB Vorsprung_CJB is offline
Pessimistic Poster
 
Posts: 1,337
Join Date: Jun 2011
Car: 135i N54
Default 06-30-2014, 04:48 PM

On Map 0 you are still getting ISO boost control, just stock boost targets, so you would still get rattle.

It is tough to say there are equivalent settings for menu 10 and 12 because the stock program adjusts the setting in different situations to mask the rattle, which can lead to undesirable boost response. That is why ISO is more consistent, because it always uses the same setting, but can make rattle more obvious.

What settings cause what rattle depends on your car and WG condition/tightness. Also, since there are two WGs, a setting may quiet one but bother the other. You just need to find the right compromise you can live with. Or get an N55
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
ferocity02 ferocity02 is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 586
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 06-30-2014, 08:44 PM

I've played with both settings (menus 10 and 12) and was not able to get the rattle any better (or worse). These settings didn't seem to any difference. With it set to Map 0 the rattle is still there.

Without the JB4 installed at all there is almost no rattle at all. With it installed the rattle is embarrassing and to the point where people ask me if there is something wrong with my engine, even on Map 0.
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
chi335xi chi335xi is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Nov 2010
Car: 2008 335xi
Default 07-01-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1328
Hmm that's a tough one! You can always try going to the dealer with the JB4, but if they see you have a JB4 tune they may deny the service and put it into their information systems.
If thats the case it will certainly void the extended warranty on the waste-gates and all dealerships will see that information in their system. Some mechanics won't mention your mods and will fix the issue anyways, but most will probably note your mods and void the warranty.

I would recommend taking the tune off and see if they will notice the rattle and replace the tubos. You may have to try a few local BMW dealerships if you get denied. If they all deny the rattle and replacement, then throw the JB4 back on and try again at 81k miles. If they notice the tune then it can't hurt as you'll already be losing the extended warranty in 1k miles from then.
Although if you're caught that could possibly void the HPFP extended warranty too.
A rattle alone will not necessarily result in new turbos, especially without consistent 30FF codes. My warranty claim was denied because BMW claimed the issue was with the wastegates, and not with the turbos themselves, a position I feared they would take. The turbos hold boost just fine, and the rattle was not considered to be a failure of the turbos. Definitely put your car as much back to stock as you can if you decide to dealer it. In my case, the inspection was pretty intrusive (dealer had my car for over a week), which included looking at the ***.

I'm also only at about 65k miles, so your story could have a happier ending.
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
Spxxx's Avatar
Spxxx Spxxx is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 711
Join Date: Mar 2014
Car: E92 335i
Default 07-01-2014, 03:30 PM

When adjusting settings, you need to leave the settings menu to apply the settings.
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
ferocity02 ferocity02 is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 586
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
On Map 0 you are still getting ISO boost control, just stock boost targets, so you would still get rattle.

It is tough to say there are equivalent settings for menu 10 and 12 because the stock program adjusts the setting in different situations to mask the rattle, which can lead to undesirable boost response. That is why ISO is more consistent, because it always uses the same setting, but can make rattle more obvious.

What settings cause what rattle depends on your car and WG condition/tightness. Also, since there are two WGs, a setting may quiet one but bother the other. You just need to find the right compromise you can live with. Or get an N55
So the ISO (whatever that is exactly) does not allow the wastegates to retain stock operation in Map 0? The rattling seems to have gotten progressively worse since I installed the JB4.

The rattling comes and goes almost like an on/off switch. If I am slowing down with zero throttle the rattling stops (or gets MUCH quieter) as soon as it hits ~1100 RPM. The ratting at non-zero throttle is minimal but noticeable.

What are the default settings for Menus 10 and 12?
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
tofu tofu is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 187
Join Date: Jul 2010
Car: 335i e92
Default 07-07-2014, 03:36 PM

Have you checked for a vac leak?
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
suspenceful's Avatar
suspenceful suspenceful is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 810
Join Date: Mar 2014
Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 07-07-2014, 04:10 PM

I have wastegate rattle pretty bad.

Default settings are:
Menu 10 - 4K RPMs
Menu 12 - 2.8K RPMs

I can get rid of my rattle by changing menu 10 to 1K RPMs.

I no longer care about it. I'd rather have performance. Does anyone know if running menu 10 maxed out at 5K or 100 is bad?


🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Reply With Quote
(#20)
Old
hkninja's Avatar
hkninja hkninja is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 217
Join Date: Feb 2011
Car: 535i 6MT
Default 07-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful
I have wastegate rattle pretty bad.

Default settings are:
Menu 10 - 4K RPMs
Menu 12 - 2.8K RPMs

I can get rid of my rattle by changing menu 10 to 1K RPMs.

I no longer care about it. I'd rather have performance. Does anyone know if running menu 10 maxed out at 5K or 100 is bad?
From what I heard if you set it at 100 the turbo is working harder since the default position is closed but you build boost a lot faster.


2008 535i 6MT * JB4 G5 ISO * Luke performance flash * E40 * BMS 100% Meth * AR meowless DP * ETS FMIC * BMS OCC * BMS DCI * ER chargepipe * HKS bov * CDV deleted * Ksport coilovers * UUC short shift kit * AC schnitzer rear spolier *
Reply With Quote
(#21)
Old
ferocity02 ferocity02 is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 586
Join Date: Jun 2014
Car: 2007 BMW E90 335i
Default 07-08-2014, 03:44 PM

Apparently I was setting mine incorrectly... I tried again this morning and was able to reduce the rattle quite a bit with Menu 10 set below 2 on the tach.
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
suprchrgd's Avatar
suprchrgd suprchrgd is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 33
Join Date: Nov 2013
Car: 335i
Default 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkninja
From what I heard if you set it at 100 the turbo is working harder since the default position is closed but you build boost a lot faster.
Would 4800 (98%) closed be a safe number without causing any damage? i have zero wg rattle at any set point, so im just looking for the best wg position for throttle response.


JB4G5 ISO/BMS E85 Flash, vrsf dp's, vrsf 7" fmic, vrsf cp with tial, 255 walbro inline,e60,alpina trans flash
Reply With Quote
(#23)
Old
Russell @ BMS's Avatar
Russell @ BMS Russell @ BMS is offline
Tuner
 
Posts: 5,673
Join Date: Nov 2008
Car: 2009 335i AT
Default 02-13-2015, 09:33 AM

98 or 100 percent makes no difference on turbo life.


Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Reply With Quote
(#24)
Old
suprchrgd's Avatar
suprchrgd suprchrgd is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 33
Join Date: Nov 2013
Car: 335i
Default 02-13-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell @ BMS
98 or 100 percent makes no difference on turbo life.
thanks bud


JB4G5 ISO/BMS E85 Flash, vrsf dp's, vrsf 7" fmic, vrsf cp with tial, 255 walbro inline,e60,alpina trans flash
Reply With Quote
(#25)
Old
swat's Avatar
swat swat is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 281
Join Date: Jan 2015
Car: 07 335i
Default 02-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell @ BMS
98 or 100 percent makes no difference on turbo life.
Out of curiosity then, why is defualt at 80? If response is razer sharp at 100 lag wise, why wouldn't they default to 100?


----------------
Stacked BMS Flash & JB4, Dinan CAI, ER Chargepipe, 7" VRSF Intercooler, VRSF DP's, ER Sport Oil Cooler w/Steel lines, Gunmetal 19" VMR V710's, 335is clutch, Wavetrac LSD, M3 FSB, M3 Front & Rear Control arms, M3 RSB, M3 rear subframe bushings, M3 guide rods
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com