N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#76)
Old

Car: e92 335iA
Default 07-01-2019, 04:50 AM

Sorry, vent as for ventilator or fan/blower if you like... anything to force feed air through the core at idle/low speed (bellow 30 or so, after that incoming air does the job).
Plus to have a proper size opening/screen to the wheel liner - has anyone tried to fit these new Air-curtains openings?
Attached Images

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. [Mario Andretti]
(#77)
Old

Car: 2014 335i
Default 07-12-2019, 05:08 PM

Any chance you could make one of these kits with a thermostat? I live in Wisconsin and would need that. Please PM me with the details if this is possible.

Thanks.
(#78)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-15-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126
Any chance you could make one of these kits with a thermostat? I live in Wisconsin and would need that. Please PM me with the details if this is possible.

Thanks.
We're working on it, but it will be a while. Most likely easier for you to add the thermostat inline.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#79)
Old

Car: 2009 335i xDrive
Default 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM

I'd also be interested in a kit that incorporated a thermostat. Nothing too warm 150-160 degrees is plenty.
(#80)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 07-20-2019, 10:52 PM

I like the idea of leaving in the original heat exchanger and sending the oil output to a Tstat, and then either flow back to the heat exchanger if <160F for quicker warming up, or to the BMS heat exchanger in the left wheel well if above 160F for cooling.
This will solve the under cooling and overheating problems. It will also help to quickly heat up the transmission fluid by staying in line with the coolant while heating up in the winter. So we need 2 SS lines each with a connector to the stock heat exchanger, and the other ends to a Tstat, like -10AN. And then two shorter SS lines between the Tstat and the BMS heat exchanger. I’ll pay $600 - $700 to beta test.

2008 E90 335xi AT 67K MILES
MHD CUSTOM FLEXFUEL 24 PSI, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, TIAL Q BOV WHITE SPRING, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS HIGH AND MISHIMOTO LOW OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, xHP STAGE 3, SCOOPS, PR IGNITION
(#81)
Old

Default 07-20-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iE91
I would like to retain the original cooler/heater and put a thermostat and the bms cooler kit in between the return line. Would like do fit this myself but i can't find the right adapter fittings. Anyone know where to find these?
This is a great idea. Iíd like to be able to get the right fittings as well as I mentioned above. A little more involved, but better functioning for guys like us in the north with cold winters.

MHD CUSTOM FLEXFUEL 24 PSI, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, TIAL Q BOV WHITE SPRING, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS HIGH AND MISHIMOTO LOW OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, xHP STAGE 3, SCOOPS, PR IGNITION
(#82)
Old

Default 07-20-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetpro
Stock heat exchanger cools oil just after it reaches 200 degs by opening the passage in the water leg - T-stat is controlling the water, there is no T-stat in the oil line...
Otherwise the oil would not circulate if there would be closed valve in line (T-stat)... think about the engine oil cooler/T-stat, it is the same thing...
A proper solution is to dump the whole heat exchanger, run a cooler w T-stat (170-200max) + a vent to keep the temps happy in the city/low speeds
But keeping the stock heat exchanger helps with fluid heat up when itís cold outside. So one could ADD a Tstat and the BMS cooler as I suggested above may be an even better solution.

(#83)
Old

Car: e92 335iA
Default 07-22-2019, 12:09 AM

AT oil heats up by itself very quickly no matter of heat exchanger... the purpose of that heat exchanger is really to combat high temps, not the low ones...

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. [Mario Andretti]
(#84)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default 07-22-2019, 06:56 AM

When running 3" jpipe that stock heat exchanger is in the way,like to get rid of it and run it separate to a cooler,seems I hear no issue when running without the stock heat exchanger

E90 SEDAN '08
-SiNGLE TURBO AUTO TRANS*FSB G5 ISO*100%METH**FUEL iT!STAGE 2*ALPiNA FLASH-
-NGK PLUGS*BMS OCC*RB VALVE-
-E85 MHD FLASH-
(#85)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPANKY
When running 3" jpipe that stock heat exchanger is in the way,like to get rid of it and run it separate to a cooler,seems I hear no issue when running without the stock heat exchanger
No issues at all. That's what we do with our transmission oil cooler, you should get it

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#86)
Old

Default 07-22-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
No issues at all. That's what we do with our transmission oil cooler, you should get it
Thanks, Payam. Iím getting very close to pulling the trigger. But has anyone used it in a real winter yet and reported transmission temps? I want data!

(#87)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman
Thanks, Payam. Iím getting very close to pulling the trigger. But has anyone used it in a real winter yet and reported transmission temps? I want data!
I've mostly only tested extreme heat at 110F+ Lowest testing done here is at 35F lol.

Burger Motorsports

(#88)
Old

Default 07-23-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I've mostly only tested extreme heat at 110F+ Lowest testing done here is at 35F lol.
Thanks, Payam. But FYI, water freezes at 32F LOL. We need to see how the thing works when there’s ice and snow everywhere!
(AKA “winter”)

(#89)
Old

Car: 2009 335i xDrive
Default 07-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetpro
AT oil heats up by itself very quickly no matter of heat exchanger... the purpose of that heat exchanger is really to combat high temps, not the low ones...
I've ran non-thermostated trans coolers on other vehicles here in Michigan and in the winter i'd be lucky to find 110-120 degrees unless on the road for hours and itll be double digits most of my trip.

There is definitely merit in having a plan to get the fluid to at least a reasonably warm temp somewhat quickly. Or plans to bypass the aftermarket unit and use the stock piece in winter, but thats a hassle.
(#90)
Old

Default 07-24-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew
I've ran non-thermostated trans coolers on other vehicles here in Michigan and in the winter i'd be lucky to find 110-120 degrees unless on the road for hours and itll be double digits most of my trip.

There is definitely merit in having a plan to get the fluid to at least a reasonably warm temp somewhat quickly. Or plans to bypass the aftermarket unit and use the stock piece in winter, but thats a hassle.
Exactly why we need a 160F thermostat in the ATF cooling loop with the engine coolant. When the ATF leaving the AT is <160F the ATF passes through the OEM heat transfer unit (180-200F), but when the ATF leaving the AT is >160F the ATF passes through the trans cooler.

(#91)
Old

Car: 2011 335i xdrive
Default 08-10-2019, 08:16 PM

+1 for bundling a t-stat. Been down to 0F several times the past few years, 35F is warm for mid-Jan here.
(#92)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM

We'll have a variant up in a couple of months, just in time for winter

Burger Motorsports

(#93)
Old

Default 08-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
We'll have a variant up in a couple of months, just in time for winter
Excellent! I hate futzing around with connectors. Gimme what works - once!

(#94)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 09-20-2019, 05:17 PM

just got around to installing this. gotta say, this is the most janky mounting system I've seen. Also, no thought to any modifications for the wheel well liner.. guess I'll find some kind of vent to mount in it or drill a bunch of small holes

The bottom pinch mount would not stay solid, it would pivot around easily. I drilled another hole through all the bits and the chassis to prevent this from moving. Feels a LOT better with this third bolt. This cars a 2010 xi and the outer side of the seam had longer material than the inner. That coupled with the spot welds made the pinch mount insecure

keeping it clear of the intercooler hose

2010 335ix - pure 600 turbos @ 30psi, dps, cp, 7.5in hd ic, inlets, outlets, jb4, pi, fuel-it stg3, at cooler

Last edited by nyt; 09-21-2019 at 03:03 AM..
(#95)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 09-20-2019, 06:34 PM

I was always curious about the mounting solution on this kit. I am sure it is cost effective but not my favorite solution. Thanks for the honest feedback.

How is the cooler working out in terms of performance?
(#96)
Old

Default 09-20-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan
I was always curious about the mounting solution on this kit. I am sure it is cost effective but not my favorite solution. Thanks for the honest feedback.

How is the cooler working out in terms of performance?
Can't say, car is apart still. lots of work queued up. Adding the bolt to the lower mount made it nice and solid. The top seems fine enough.

2010 335ix - pure 600 turbos @ 30psi, dps, cp, 7.5in hd ic, inlets, outlets, jb4, pi, fuel-it stg3, at cooler
(#97)
Old

Default 09-21-2019, 04:37 PM

meh, just drilled some holes...

(#98)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
meh, just drilled some holes...

👀
(#99)
Old

Default 09-22-2019, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the photos and advice. Ideally for me, I would love to be able to keep the stock coolant heat exchanger for quicker warm ups, especially in cold weather, and to integrate a thermostat that opens at ~160F to then shunt the transmission fluid to this transmission cooler.

(#100)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt
just got around to installing this. gotta say, this is the most janky mounting system I've seen. Also, no thought to any modifications for the wheel well liner.. guess I'll find some kind of vent to mount in it or drill a bunch of small holes

The bottom pinch mount would not stay solid, it would pivot around easily. I drilled another hole through all the bits and the chassis to prevent this from moving. Feels a LOT better with this third bolt. This cars a 2010 xi and the outer side of the seam had longer material than the inner. That coupled with the spot welds made the pinch mount insecure
We opted a no drill PNP style bracket system. Out of the few hundred we have sold, that's the first issue I've heard about the bracket being loose.
Sounds like you found and easy fix for it.

Not sure on the fender liner stuff, it's not a sealed piece. Air will go through it
no matter what and you'll have increased performance over stock.

Burger Motorsports