N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: F83
Default S55 JB4 does not work - how to debug? - 11-13-2018, 11:07 AM

Hi,

Just got a second hand JB4 for my F83 M4. I've had one on my previous E93 335i that I installed myself. Installation of the F83 version was easy. I installed stage1+OBD plug.

The problem is I cannot activate it using the steering wheel. I did see a Bluetooth device (bluetooth option is installed) but don't know the PIN to connect, it's not 0000 or 1234. So I replaced the bluetooth option with the USB cable. Using the client software I could connect. I've upgraded the firmware to 4/184//5 (it was running 4/17//5). Future Use D is "0" so steering wheel controls should work. Just in case, I've set it to 1, saved, and back to 0 and saved both times to no avail. In "User Adjustment", the VIN is all X's by the way, don't know if that indicates something.

The car does run like normal, so I would take it that the hardware is doing *something* (without these connectors hooked up correctly, surely things would not go smoothly). The sticker on the PCB says BURGER160236.

To make sure it's getting some data, I started data logging and had the car run for a few seconds. Alle the items are 0 (or very close to 0) except "FP H" which fluctuates between 3 and 4.

What would be a good way to debug this further?
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-13-2018, 11:17 AM

Post the log and photos of the install so we can look into it, ensure OBDII is properly in.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 11-14-2018, 01:39 AM

Hi,

OBD is properly in as far as I can tell. There's only one way the OBD cable fits to the JB4 harness. It is in the OBD at the driver's side.

I re-flashed JB4_M3_OBDII_1_8_3 because JB4_S55_1_8_4 did not have "OBD" in its name but that was not it.

Attached is data logging (start logging - start car - stop car - stop logging).

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018_11_14 09-23-14.csv (114.3 KB, 46 views)
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Don't see anything in the log. Are you sure you connected the obd to Jb4 correctly?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-15-2018, 01:04 AM

Ah, so my guess is the JB4, when the stage-1 connectors are in place, will function normally (result: the car still ran as usual, in map 0).

And: without the OBD correctly in place, the steering wheel controls do not work.

I checked the molex connecting the OBD plug to the JB4 harness. It was in the wrong way. I did check when connecting it, but haven't really looked at it during debugging, as I was under the impression that the connector only fits in one way (the 4 holes have different shapes). Apparantly it can be connected wrong.

After reconnecting, it now works. Thanks for your help, and for future users: if the car is running but the steering wheel controls do not work, the fault is in the OBD connector cable, check to see that the molex is connected the right way.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Yup exactly.

Without molex/obd you can't change map via wheel that's why I wanted you to double check

Sounds like that was it, glad it's an easy fix!

Burger Motorsports