N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default Normal condensation in the oil for N54s? - 01-01-2017, 10:36 PM

Hi Guys,
changed my catch can today and it had emulsified water in the oil. Mybe 2 teaspoons worth of oil in 4 months? First time I've ever had that, which was a little worrying. Normally it's just the thick black oil.

So I lifted my oil filler cap and it was like peanut butter.

Now it sounds like short journeys where the oil doesn't get up to operating temp (to boil off the water) and cold, damp weather can cause this. My work is only 8 miles away and I've been on holiday for the last 4 weeks so the car hasn't seen much driving. Lots of very short trips lasting often only 10 mins as well. The car barely moved off the drive in the last 3 days but I did have to start it to keep the battery from being too low. (Working on some electronics for the car which drained the battery to the warning.)

Is this perfectly normal do you think? I've had no codes, misfires or rough running. Car is running great in fact.

Temps here are around 30 degrees at night maybe around 40F day time. So not super cold. My car does seem to take a really long time to heat up (like 6 miles into the 8 mile journey to work) but my coolant level hasn't dropped. Which is promising. Worrying about a head gasket.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#2)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 01-03-2017, 12:44 AM

Pretty normal really. It's that same condensation (usually as a result of short trips and not enough time to warm up) that commonly confuses the oil level sensor and triggers sudden "very low" oil warnings.

2016 F22 M240i | 8ZF