N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default New to N54 world - PCV valve or Turbo Seals? - 08-14-2019, 12:14 PM

Hey everyone, just got a 2008 335i e90 with.. don’t die but 180k miles 2 week or so ago. Was a PA car all highway and the car drives smooth, accelerates perfectly, hits boost like it should, and shifts smooth. (Even the suspension is mint)..
Was supposed to just be a daily until I picked up an M6 later this year but once I hit boost the first time it would be stupid not to have some more fun with it.
Changing the serp belt and pulleys this week, as well as a 5w-40 liquimoly oil change. The one step colder NGK plugs on the way, and put in all new Delphi coils.. CP-e ********* and a 5” fmic when I do the pulley as well.

Happy but here’s where I run into a issue, the car smells like oil burnt but idk what ****ty oil could’ve been in the car prior.. was with my friend e90 m3 on the highway for some “spirited” driving and got off the highway and saw my car was smoking.. no over heating no nothing.. noticed my oil went from max to min and when we saw under the hood it looked as if there was oil dripping onto the exhaust ***** causing the smoke.. drove the car soft and all was well.
Topped off the car with more oil and stayed at max the next few days until last night a “cruise” with my friends c63.. ends up with hard driving again.. not hard enough to cause it to smoke but went from max to 25% over minimum.. my friends with n54’s say it’s gonna burn oil but I doubt this is normal.
Gas mileage cruising on the highway gets me 34mpg average(cruise control)
Regular city driving shows average 15.5 currently and I don’t beat it on the streets roads are too crap in nyc to book it everywhere.
My friend checked the metal tray around the engine where if the valve cover was leaking we’d see some trace of oil but it’s clean. Read it might be turbo seals but the smoke was ON the exhaust pipe not in, small amount from exhaust but not enough to imply turbo seals. I read it might be a PCV valve issue, and my Oil cap is also leaking. Can a guru give me some advice on what to check or what he believes it may be? Really appreciate it - and even with this.. I’m happy to have the keys to enjoy this n54 engine first hand , great car for what it is!
(#2)
Old

Car: E92
Default 08-14-2019, 01:26 PM

Prabaly over due for a walnut shell blasting on ontake valves.
(#3)
Old

Default 08-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEddy
Prabaly over due for a walnut shell blasting on ontake valves.
100000000% but my concern is I can literally go from max to minimum oil within 20-30 min of aggressive driving
(#4)
Old

Car: E92
Default 08-14-2019, 04:29 PM

that wouldhave to be one worn turbo seal. Mine smoked and had a constant drip into exhaust portion of turbo , but nothing like what u got
(#5)
Old

Car: '08 535xi
Default 08-24-2019, 06:58 PM

N54's leak heavily if the oil filter housing seal has died. There will be oil on the front of the engine. Valve covers leak often too but you said there was no oil there.
(#6)
Old

Default 08-25-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1111
N54's leak heavily if the oil filter housing seal has died. There will be oil on the front of the engine. Valve covers leak often too but you said there was no oil there.
Yeah, this ended up being the culprit. Found it when I changed the pulleys and belt. Thank god nothing worse