N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default Donor Car - who keeps one on hand? - 08-23-2019, 08:02 PM

Questions in the subject.

Since I'm investing both money and time (knowledge) I'm starting to consider picking up a donor car of the same model. Not for new performance parts, but for the basics. Turbos will turn into RB purchase. Replaced transmission, alternator, and all the tuning hardware bought new... may as well reuse the good stuff. Even to have e93 vert roof stuff to pillage. Maybe an old ****e box with blown turbos and leaking oil everywhere.

Thinking to keep my eyes open for a poor second, not for when I blow my turbos, but for motor, accessories, vert-hard-top parts and so I don't have to sell all the nice parts I'm buying and ultimately start over with the learning curve.

Would I be putting 1 foot in the grave, or securing a fun (5-7 year) future? (Index 12 injectors, jb4, everything else BMS sells for this car, RB turbos, alternator, transmission, vert-freedom, tuning knowledge...

1. Forget the future?
2. Buy what's needed, when needed in the future? (Will stock deplete or rise in price?)
3. Prep (cheap and proactive, but up front) for the inevitable explosion and restart of this specific grand entertainment?

----

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (190,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4 Map 6 | RACE BEF | 94 Octane | @19 PSI
BMS JB4 | BMS WMI @ 60/40 (CM10) | BMS 5" FMIC | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | BMS Cowel Filters
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
RB PCV Valve
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019 - VCG | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Water Pump & T Stat
(#2)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 08-23-2019, 09:23 PM

Me personally, I would not unless I were building a car that required many parts to begin with. A full functioning car, I would maintain and replace parts as needed. We only invest in donor cars for classic cars we build. Mainly cars from 50s and 60s
(#3)
Old

Car: 2011 335i Convertible
Default 09-05-2019, 07:55 PM

I'm with you. Maybe it's a crazy E93 thing.

My original goal of running the PS2 at 21psi only lasted for about a year and now I'm looking for more power/mods. I started looking into what it would cost to buy a junkyard engine and then have it built up and for just the engine, I'm about 1/2 way into a donor car of the same year. If I wait, eventually I'll find what I'm looking for (cheaper) and have a spare trans and top as well. Who knows if I'll actually end up with one, but I had several parts DSMs in my garage in my younger years.

2011 335i - JB4 ISO | MHD E85 PI BEF | Exhaust Mods | CP | 5" stepped FMIC | BMS Meth Injection | BMS Intake | Pure Stage 2 | Pure Inlet | FF wires | Fuel It Stage 2 | DV+ | N20 TMAP | Ethanol mix