N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: n54
Unhappy N54 Pcv ports blocked / oil consumption - 08-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Hiya all,

I blocked off my pcv ports on the head during my engine rebuild and now I’m experiencing oil consumption (1 litre top up required every 200 miles). I’m running the bms catch can high side (venting to atmosphere) alongside the Mishimoto occ with the RB turbo external pcv kit for the low side.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Appreciate any help.

Thank you

Last edited by gurdz_tp; 08-20-2019 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Adding description
(#2)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Looks like you also did an engine rebuild at the same time? Anything done with the turbos too? Anyone reputable perform this work?

Your oil consumption rate is very poor there is no question, so determining the proper cause at this point is definitely in order. As the engine was just rebuilt (which is a fairly complex job) we'd HIGHLY suggest doing a leak down test on it. The success of that build is beyond extremely critical to everything.

As for the External PCV setups we've been selling these things for right at 4 years now and they have been a rock solid product, as is the BMS High Side OCC setup; so they should not be causing you any problems in themselves.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Hey Rob,

Yes, did a fully forged engine rebuild (cp lower compression pistons and Carrillo rods) at the same time as blocking the pcv ports on the head. Recently did a low mount single turbo setup.

Both engine builder and single turbo setup was done by a reputable source. I’ll get a leak down test done and take it from there.

Would you recommend unblocking the ports to try see if the issue rectifies?

Appreciate all your help.
(#4)
Old

Car: 335i sedan
Default 09-06-2019, 04:42 AM

Check your IC piping and dawnpeep. That would indicate a leaking turbo as well
(#5)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurdz_tp
Hey Rob,

Yes, did a fully forged engine rebuild (cp lower compression pistons and Carrillo rods) at the same time as blocking the pcv ports on the head. Recently did a low mount single turbo setup.

Both engine builder and single turbo setup was done by a reputable source. I’ll get a leak down test done and take it from there.

Would you recommend unblocking the ports to try see if the issue rectifies?

Appreciate all your help.
If you have the RB External PCV there is absolutely no reason it combined with the head plugging would cause oil consumption in itself- provided you have the install correct which is fairly a simple intuitive process. While the PCV would be an easier solution, unfortunately it would seem that you have some larger issues unless something simple has been overlooked? Do you have the vent hose/flapper still intact right off the high side of the valve cover?

As many engine builds seem to be "botched" in this market, definitely get a clean bill of health on it via an engine leak down test. Make sure to get ACTUAL results from the test, and not a "cylinders were ok". These engines usually have around 5% leak down, or less, so greater than 10% leak down in a cylinder could be an issue. Outside of this the turbocharger or the draining could be suspect, what brand is the turbo and is it new?

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#6)
Old

Car: 135i 2008- Jb4 g5 ISO, VRSF ********, Inlets, fully ******* 3'' straight piped exhaust.
Default 09-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Any news on what the issue was?
(#7)
Old

Default 09-25-2019, 12:04 PM

Iíve unblocked the pcv ports on the head oil consumption seems to be a lot less. Going to try VTA on the low side instead of going back in to the throttle body and see if that makes any difference.
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-25-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I’ve unblocked the pcv ports on the head oil consumption seems to be a lot less. Going to try VTA on the low side instead of going back in to the throttle body and see if that makes any difference.
Sounds like you may have some other issues, that you are simply just trying to mask by fumbling around with other "fixes".

The reason being is that once you have Externalized your PCV system these plugs do absolutely nothing, aside to ENSURE that you have no pressure/vacuum leaks into the valve cover.

Did you get any cylinder leakdown figures on the engine?

Rob

(#9)
Old

Default 09-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Hi Rob,

Trying to find a reputable garage in the UK to do the leak down test. Finding it quite difficult as most garages have never heard of a leak down test :
(#10)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-25-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Hi Rob,

Trying to find a reputable garage in the UK to do the leak down test. Finding it quite difficult as most garages have never heard of a leak down test :
If you have an air compressor and have the ability to swap spark plugs, you are more than likely capable of performing a leak down test (it requires a tool you can get for sub $100).

While it is preferred to do a cylinder leak down test for fine results of cylinder health, a cylinder compression test is better than nothing. Have any shops heard of that?

Thanks,
Rob

(#11)
Old

Default 09-25-2019, 03:23 PM

Hey rob the guys who did the single turbo conversion did a compression test, please see results below:

1. 175
2. 165
3. 160
4. 175
5. 160
6. 165

They stated:

Thatís warm test, there is a lot of oil in each cylinder which is visible on the pistons and plugs.

Cheers
(#12)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-26-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hey rob the guys who did the single turbo conversion did a compression test, please see results below:

1. 175
2. 165
3. 160
4. 175
5. 160
6. 165

They stated:

Thatís warm test, there is a lot of oil in each cylinder which is visible on the pistons and plugs.

Cheers
The compression test results look good. When was this test done? Was the excessive oil consumption an issue at that time as well, or did it begin more recently?

Also what ST kit do you have? What turbo equipped?

Your oil consumption rate is horrendous at 1L per 200 miles, so something is certainly SERIOUSLY wrong, and we highly doubt it is some basic ventilation issue. If you do not have some fair sized oil leak(s) then best chances it is something serious with the engine or turbo.

Rob

(#13)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 10-01-2019, 08:38 PM

Actually, those numbers are horrible, and if your seeing oil on top of the piston, then you have other issues. If this was a recent rebuild, those numbers should be within 3-5psi if that. You are seeing as much as a 15 psi difference on 2 cylinders, these look like a motor with 90k. What did they do to the block, was it bored, honed, torque plated, or just left alone? This is just a guess on looking at those numbers, that the cylinders were left alone, and not measured, and if it was standard rings, then this would make sense. You may see some oil loss during break in, that’s normal, but if you racked up some miles, this is even more of suspect.
(#14)
Old

Default 10-03-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
The compression test results look good. When was this test done? Was the excessive oil consumption an issue at that time as well, or did it begin more recently?

Also what ST kit do you have? What turbo equipped?

Your oil consumption rate is horrendous at 1L per 200 miles, so something is certainly SERIOUSLY wrong, and we highly doubt it is some basic ventilation issue. If you do not have some fair sized oil leak(s) then best chances it is something serious with the engine or turbo.

Rob
Hey Rob did the leak down test today please see results below:

Snap-on kit
1- 8%
2- 8%
3- 7%
4- 7%
5-9%
6-7%

The test was done by a snap-on leakdown tester so we can confirm results are on point. In regards to the turbo kit itís the one in the link below:

N54 single turbo - rhd n54. - Leadfoot Racing - LFR

The turbo is a Garrett gtx3584rs gen 2.
(#15)
Old
Stalker

Default 10-04-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Hey Rob did the leak down test today please see results below:

Snap-on kit
1- 8%
2- 8%
3- 7%
4- 7%
5-9%
6-7%

The test was done by a snap-on leakdown tester so we can confirm results are on point. In regards to the turbo kit itís the one in the link below:

N54 single turbo - rhd n54. - Leadfoot Racing - LFR

The turbo is a Garrett gtx3584rs gen 2.
The leak down results look good for a built motor, being that they are typically built a bit looser. The OE motor builds are usually around 2-5% when healthy. Anyway I would not expect any issues with your engines health at this point, both compression and leak down are in good standing IMO.

So back to the oil consumption, and guess this should've been asked prior as it was not specified, but are you seeing smoke out of the exhaust or leaks anywhere around the engine bay?

Rob

(#16)
Old

Default 10-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
The leak down results look good for a built motor, being that they are typically built a bit looser. The OE motor builds are usually around 2-5% when healthy. Anyway I would not expect any issues with your engines health at this point, both compression and leak down are in good standing IMO.

So back to the oil consumption, and guess this should've been asked prior as it was not specified, but are you seeing smoke out of the exhaust or leaks anywhere around the engine bay?

Rob
Hey Rob,

So did a few things, I was running a turbo smart opr (oil pressure regulator) which has now been blocked off. Theory was that the turbo already has a oil restricter which was causing back pressure causing the oil going back in to the drain to also be pressurised.

This unfortunately didn’t help and seems like oil is still being burned in the cylinders. I’ve taken the down pipe off the turbo and there doesn’t seem to be a signs of wet oil. I’ve head that I should be using thicker oil (diff grade) for a forged engine, currently running 5w40 ( millers nano drive motor sport oil).

What oil specs would you recommend?

Thank you
(#17)
Old

Car: E90-355I
Default 10-15-2019, 11:34 AM

no oil in the inlet ?
Did you redo the head? Wondering if it's valve seals. Were they done?
(#18)
Old

Default 10-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohugh
no oil in the inlet ?
Did you redo the head? Wondering if it's valve seals. Were they done?
Yeah the valve steam seals were done during the engine build along with the ferrea valve train.
(#19)
Old
Stalker

Default 10-15-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Hey Rob,

So did a few things, I was running a turbo smart opr (oil pressure regulator) which has now been blocked off. Theory was that the turbo already has a oil restricter which was causing back pressure causing the oil going back in to the drain to also be pressurised.

This unfortunately didnít help and seems like oil is still being burned in the cylinders. Iíve taken the down pipe off the turbo and there doesnít seem to be a signs of wet oil. Iíve head that I should be using thicker oil (diff grade) for a forged engine, currently running 5w40 ( millers nano drive motor sport oil).

What oil specs would you recommend?

Thank you
You really need to follow your engine builders oil recommendations, we'd imagine they'd have you on a 5w-40 or maybe even a 20w-50. It is a head scratcher you have going on here sir, all seems well on every front yet you are using an absolutely disgusting amount of oil.

As it was not addressed from my last post, let's try it again:
"So back to the oil consumption, and guess this should've been asked prior as it was not specified, but are you seeing smoke out of the exhaust or leaks anywhere around the engine bay?"

Thanks,
Rob