N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Default Octane Boosters - 08-04-2019, 08:14 AM

Does anyone use/recommend an octane booster other than Torco or Boostane? Only reason I ask is because I can't find either of those at the local auto stores, they only have brands like Lucas, STP, Turbo, Royal Purple, VP Racing, etc.

2019 GT2 AWD
Panthera Metal
JB4 - BMS Intakes - Denso Plugs
(#2)
Old

Car: Genesis G70 3.3T
Default 08-04-2019, 01:36 PM

I use BOOSTane Pro...I get it from Amazon.

2019 Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Sport
(#3)
Old

Car: N55 335i
Default 08-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNStinger
Does anyone use/recommend an octane booster other than Torco or Boostane? Only reason I ask is because I can't find either of those at the local auto stores, they only have brands like Lucas, STP, Turbo, Royal Purple, VP Racing, etc.
It’s hard to find Torco or Boostane in local stores because they actually work unlike the others you’ve listed. Careful using any of them though. For an octane booster to work, it will contain MMT. MMT has a tendency to coat everything it touches in a orange film and it lowers the life of your spark plugs. If you have access to E85 it’s preferred to the octane boosters.

If I had to use it, I’d use it sparingly, maybe on the track days, but not each time I fill up.

Race Gas and Orange Spark Plugs - YouTube

What MMT does in your motor - YouTube

Last edited by ecko04; 08-04-2019 at 01:54 PM..
(#4)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 08-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04
It’s hard to find Torco or Boostane in local stores because they actually work unlike the others you’ve listed. Careful using any of them though. For an octane booster to work, it will contain MMT. MMT has a tendency to coat everything it touches in a orange film and it lowers the life of your spark plugs. If you have access to E85 it’s preferred to the octane boosters.

If I had to use it, I’d use it sparingly, maybe on the track days, but not each time I fill up.

Race Gas and Orange Spark Plugs - YouTube

What MMT does in your motor - YouTube
It's funny that I keep reading and seeing the same things about the orange soot, yet if it were brownish everything would be considered fine? It's not like it's any more accumulated soot, just a different color. I've ran Boostane for quite some time. Never a sensor failure and no plug issues. I get the orangish soot on my exhaust, but not much on my plugs due to using WMI. I definitely see the improved timing and detonation resistance for CA91 piss gas. Especially when we're having 110F+ days in the SoCal desert area

I figure, in the end, were all taking risks when we modify our cars past stock. What makes using a fuel additive any different? If you wanna play the game, you must accept that you could lose. Odds are still in our favor with most mods/additions, but **** happens. Lol. In the end it's about what risks are you willing to take. If race gas was more accessible/cheaper for me, it would be my go to. Ethanol tends to fluctuate to much for my taste. In the end, Boostane fit my needs and delivers.
(#5)
Old

Car: N55 335i
Default 08-05-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe
It's funny that I keep reading and seeing the same things about the orange soot, yet if it were brownish everything would be considered fine? It's not like it's any more accumulated soot, just a different color. I've ran Boostane for quite some time. Never a sensor failure and no plug issues. I get the orangish soot on my exhaust, but not much on my plugs due to using WMI. I definitely see the improved timing and detonation resistance for CA91 piss gas. Especially when we're having 110F+ days in the SoCal desert area

I figure, in the end, were all taking risks when we modify our cars past stock. What makes using a fuel additive any different? If you wanna play the game, you must accept that you could lose. Odds are still in our favor with most mods/additions, but **** happens. Lol. In the end it's about what risks are you willing to take. If race gas was more accessible/cheaper for me, it would be my go to. Ethanol tends to fluctuate to much for my taste. In the end, Boostane fit my needs and delivers.
Not here to argue.
That orange stuff builds up and lowers the life expectancy of plugs, sensors, and the catalytic converter.
Some folks clean their plugs after running it for a while to try to retain some of the life expectancy.
If it works for you, great, but folks should know about it to make an informed decision based on their own circumstances.
(#6)
Old

Car: Genesis G70 3.3T
Default 08-05-2019, 07:21 AM

^ you cannot present blank statements on all boost additives.

Read up on BOOSTane and how they use suspension techniques to address MMT. None issue.

Post #43...

Boostane vs Torco test results - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

2019 Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Sport

Last edited by Beefer; 08-05-2019 at 07:29 AM..
(#7)
Old

Car: M240i
Default 08-05-2019, 07:37 AM

It's easy to spark an argument with such a topic. I'm definitely not going to do so and I don't read any posts, such as these, with ill will. I just shared my experience and thoughts as that was asked for. As a long time user of Boostane... I can recommend it.

Last edited by JBoe; 08-05-2019 at 06:32 PM..
(#8)
Old

Car: 2019 STINGER GT2
Default 08-05-2019, 03:26 PM

+1 for Boostane Pro
+1 for E85

Let's rock!