N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#351)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 06-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glfdriver18
Just traded my 18 R for a 2019 RS3, canít wait to get a JB4 on it. However, this intermittent loss of boost issue is making me wary. I just want something that works, every time. Probably stay stock until they manage to figure it out.
Honestly, it's not THAT big of a deal. The BMW B58 headaches were much worse. While annoying at times, it's so worth it to have the JB4 for logging and additional safeties.

Don't worry, Terry will figure it out and will be a simple firmware or board change. JB4 for life!

2018 Audi RS3 | Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#352)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 06-24-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Given the intermittent nature and the fact that the issue comes up on the RS3/TTRS but not the B9 S4 that uses the same hardware, it's been really tricky to pin down. We're testing a circuit board change right now to see if that has any effect on it.
I hope a board swap isn't required...getting a JB4 shipped to me is already kind of a pain.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#353)
Old

Car: 2010 335i
Default 06-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Honestly, it's not THAT big of a deal. The BMW B58 headaches were much worse. While annoying at times, it's so worth it to have the JB4 for logging and additional safeties.

Don't worry, Terry will figure it out and will be a simple firmware or board change. JB4 for life!
Maybe if it was $200 sure. But I don't like the idea of paying money for 1/2 mile events, 1/4 mile events, just to have it potentially cut out and not work properly.

If its just for logging then it needs to be a lot cheaper.

Additional safeties are great but not when it introduces a no boost scenario randomly.

I'm coming from N54 and am a big proponent for jb4 on that platform. But this is reminding me of my 4bar issues and I am not gonna go down a road like that again.

335i LMB E92 6MT MSport Logic7
(#354)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder
Maybe if it was $200 sure. But I don't like the idea of paying money for 1/2 mile events, 1/4 mile events, just to have it potentially cut out and not work properly.

If its just for logging then it needs to be a lot cheaper.

Additional safeties are great but not when it introduces a no boost scenario randomly.

I'm coming from N54 and am a big proponent for jb4 on that platform. But this is reminding me of my 4bar issues and I am not gonna go down a road like that again.
Lol, proper logging tools cost more than just $200. They also don't have any safeties implemented either.

The 4bar issue never had anything to do with the JB4, it was the sensor itself.
Just want to clear that up...

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#355)
Old

Default 06-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Lol, proper logging tools cost more than just $200. They also don't have any safeties implemented either.

The 4bar issue never had anything to do with the JB4, it was the sensor itself.
Just want to clear that up...
Hey Payam, lets keep it professional. Like I said I am a JB4 proponent.

I can find tools for logging many other brands for $200. Hell you can take MHD and use it for just logging. My point must have gotten missed. If I am paying full price for JB4, I personally expect it to perform to the same standards as it does on other platforms.

The 4bar issue was not JB4 and you guys were amazing in replacing it 3 times for me. I am referring to it since it was an unsolvable (at least for me) issue for 2yrs, 3 sensors, multiple firmware or parameter adjustments, and it would pop up randomly and cause issues. That type of experience is not something I will be bringing with me to the RS3 platform. The 2.5tfsi is known for its repeatable performance. Not misfire/issue city the N54 has.

(#356)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Maybe but the 2.5L engines pop often so don't undervalue the potential JB4 safety benefits especially if already flashed. A new engine starts at $15k+.

Also FWIW for the TTRS/RS3 there are not good logging tools that record knock in cyl2-5 real time to your phone. There is just the VagCom cable system which is a huge headache to use and has slow sample rates.

You'll have to decide what makes the most sense for your build. Our development TTRS has been tearing it up running 10.8 1/4 mile times JB4 only on 30% E85 literally problem free. I think only one time in the last six months have I had an aborted run due to low boost.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#357)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-25-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegxsi
I hope a board swap isn't required...getting a JB4 shipped to me is already kind of a pain.
Yes we're just not sure yet since it's difficult to recreate the issue here. I suspect the problem is somehow related to flash versions. Some of the versions from the factory might be more susceptible to it than others.

Burger Motorsports

(#358)
Old

Default 06-25-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes we're just not sure yet since it's difficult to recreate the issue here. I suspect the problem is somehow related to flash versions. Some of the versions from the factory might be more susceptible to it than others.
I suppose we can start reporting our Box Code/Software version and the frequency of the no boost condition. Maybe collect some useful data.

Considering your TTRS is all stock, could hardware mods cause the problem to reveal itself more often?
I have an upgraded FMIC and the spool-up delay is noticeable compared to stock since many are almost 2x larger than stock.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#359)
Old

Car: 2018 Golf R
Default 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Cost of the JB4 is not an issue. I’m not planning on flashing the car, at least not before warranty is done. With that in mind, I think the JB4 is a steal for what it does. (The BT module not so much lol, but it is nice to have).

My two chief concerns would be 1) is the issue going to cause any other problems? Or is it simply an annoyance and nothing to worry about. And 2) potentially, this could cause a safety issue. If you need to floor it to make a turn, or avoid an accident and that’s the time you have no boost... yikes. Should I put myself in a situation where only acceleration would save me from an accident? Well no, probably not. But at least right now I know 100% that if I smash on the go pedal, it’s gonna go.

Last edited by Glfdriver18; 06-25-2019 at 01:59 PM..
(#360)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Not sure how much seat time you have behind the wheel but the turbo doesn't spool quickly on these to start with. Don't expect it to move you quickly unless you're in launch mode or already have it spooled up under heavy throttle for a couple seconds. Anyway it's never going to be slower than all the non-turbo cars out there even if boost is disabled momentarily.

Burger Motorsports

(#361)
Old

Default 06-26-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Maybe but the 2.5L engines pop often so don't undervalue the potential JB4 safety benefits especially if already flashed. A new engine starts at $15k+.

Also FWIW for the TTRS/RS3 there are not good logging tools that record knock in cyl2-5 real time to your phone. There is just the VagCom cable system which is a huge headache to use and has slow sample rates.

You'll have to decide what makes the most sense for your build. Our development TTRS has been tearing it up running 10.8 1/4 mile times JB4 only on 30% E85 literally problem free. I think only one time in the last six months have I had an aborted run due to low boost.
Can you go over the safety features some more? How do these work better than the stock ECU? Are your knock correction settings more strict than stock? Lean conditions? Looking for some empirical data on this.

I ask because after the 6 years of N54 ownership I had quite a few times where I could feel a miss, but JB4 and the car didn't go limp, I was able to look at logs (because of JB4) and see the misfire. Be it coil or plug related.

(#362)
Old

Car: 2019 RS3
Default 06-26-2019, 06:04 PM

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is support for the 2019 RS3 with the current JB4?
(#363)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2019, 06:34 PM

Not had any issues reported on the 2019s.

Burger Motorsports

(#364)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-26-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Can you go over the safety features some more? How do these work better than the stock ECU? Are your knock correction settings more strict than stock? Lean conditions? Looking for some empirical data on this.

I ask because after the 6 years of N54 ownership I had quite a few times where I could feel a miss, but JB4 and the car didn't go limp, I was able to look at logs (because of JB4) and see the misfire. Be it coil or plug related.
The safety systems on the JB4 side monitor everything real time and react however we program them to react. The programming varies based on customer needs as the platform evolves.

In a lot of cases the current safety systems are efficiently there to protect the car from bad situations that arise when custom flash tuning as that has been the largest need so far. But we'll expand on them and strengthen them up as needed.

Burger Motorsports

(#365)
Old

Car: 2018 RS3/ 2018 M240i
Default 07-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Hi guys
Has anyone run Map5 on a fully stock car, and what fuel was used if so?

Thanks!
(#366)
Old

Default 07-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luqmaanmall@gmail.com
Hi guys

Thanks!
I run E30 mix (4 gal E85, rest of the tank with 91)

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#367)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-07-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luqmaanmall@gmail.com
Hi guys

Thanks!
It's all about octane! You can email logs to George who can review them with you to ensure the octane is sufficient.

Burger Motorsports

(#368)
Old

Default 07-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Hey guys! New 2019 RS3 here. Only 400 miles. I am looking to tune some time after break in. Maybe a long time if recommended. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with using the JB4 E30 tune on stock motors and stock everything else. I do have the sport exhaust with the dynamic pkg. I love the idea of being discreet with JB4. Did some homework and noticed people recommending not to tune until 20k. Has anyone had experience with a blown setup? I hear am aware that any motor can blow, even stock, but most people are pushing them pretty hard without problems. How long would you wait? I only have 91 around me and hate it pretty much but am punching above my weight and dont want to deal with a blown motor and potentially not getting it covered under warranty. You never know what other ways they can detect piggy back aside from flashing the ECU. I'm sure they read these forums.
(#369)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nardo19
Hey guys! New 2019 RS3 here. Only 400 miles. I am looking to tune some time after break in. Maybe a long time if recommended. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with using the JB4 E30 tune on stock motors and stock everything else. I do have the sport exhaust with the dynamic pkg. I love the idea of being discreet with JB4. Did some homework and noticed people recommending not to tune until 20k. Has anyone had experience with a blown setup? I hear am aware that any motor can blow, even stock, but most people are pushing them pretty hard without problems. How long would you wait? I only have 91 around me and hate it pretty much but am punching above my weight and dont want to deal with a blown motor and potentially not getting it covered under warranty. You never know what other ways they can detect piggy back aside from flashing the ECU. I'm sure they read these forums.

With a DSG car generally wait to do around 600miles or so. This is also the recommended period when users change clutches so let them bed in a bit.
On the JB4 you dont risk blowing a engine as the tunes are not extreme shooting for major torque values.
On our side we have a RS3 and a TT RS and run E30 permanently since both cars are in areas with 91 as well and no issues thus far from over a year of use. Typically we also look at regions like Brazil where they only have E30 and up at the pumps and see if the factory has region specific cars which isnt the case with any models out of the Audi factory for many years now.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#370)
Old

Default 07-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
With a DSG car generally wait to do around 600miles or so. This is also the recommended period when users change clutches so let them bed in a bit.
On the JB4 you dont risk blowing a engine as the tunes are not extreme shooting for major torque values.
On our side we have a RS3 and a TT RS and run E30 permanently since both cars are in areas with 91 as well and no issues thus far from over a year of use. Typically we also look at regions like Brazil where they only have E30 and up at the pumps and see if the factory has region specific cars which isnt the case with any models out of the Audi factory for many years now.
Very comforting. Has anyone reported getting denied on a warranty claim because of JB4. I understand if you can't say or whatever, but I just think its healthy for the community to know. Obviously, if you're going to tune, know the risks and be prepared to pay either way, but has this happened with proper removal of the device before sending it in? If I blew the engine while driving, I would remove it for sure.

Also, can you clarify what you meant about changing clutches at 600mi? Why would anyone change the clutch so soon?
(#371)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 07-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Very comforting. Has anyone reported getting denied on a warranty claim because of JB4. I understand if you can't say or whatever, but I just think its healthy for the community to know. Obviously, if you're going to tune, know the risks and be prepared to pay either way, but has this happened with proper removal of the device before sending it in? If I blew the engine while driving, I would remove it for sure.

Also, can you clarify what you meant about changing clutches at 600mi? Why would anyone change the clutch so soon?
When doing a DSG clutch change the recommended interval is 600mi where you shouldn't do launches etc. Same assumption then should apply for a new car since the clutches are new.
To date there are no reports on any Audi vehicles we cover over 5 years that have got more advanced ECU than the one found in the RS3.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#372)
Old

Default 07-10-2019, 01:59 PM

I did the 10k maintenance at the dealer and had no problems. I did remove the JB4 400-500 miles before I brought it in just to get the E30 mix out of the system. Probably isn't necessary to pull the JB4 out so soon....I just wanted to fuel trims to adapt to 91 before I bring it in.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#373)
Old

Default 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I did the 10k maintenance at the dealer and had no problems. I did remove the JB4 400-500 miles before I brought it in just to get the E30 mix out of the system. Probably isn't necessary to pull the JB4 out so soon....I just wanted to fuel trims to adapt to 91 before I bring it in.
Great tips. Do you happen to be sure if they even checked your car for any tuning? I have read the fairly recently, Audi has implemented new strategies to look for tuning which involve checking the ECU for flashes everytime the car comes in, regardless if a warranty claim or not. They've even put a section on the forms that say something along the lines of:

[TD1 - ?]
[Checked - ?]

So, not sure when this 10k maintenance was, but maybe you recall or have the paperwork you received. Either way, I know JB4 isn't a flash so its not a worry there, but they do have a code for piggybacks. I think its TB1 or something like that. I have a feeling thats a scare tactic ( or for those silly enough to leave it installed) but I like your idea of clearing the ECU of history, however, if you blow an engine, that's not going to be a possibility. The concern I guess is this. Sometimes stock, factory engines blow through no fault of the tune, and if they want to look deep. It's plausible to think that they can do some digging and figure it out. I am speculating that the odds of something like this are pretty damn low though. Seems the overwhelming majority of people have no issues with the vehicle at all when tuned modestly.

Quote:
When doing a DSG clutch change the recommended interval is 600mi where you shouldn't do launches etc. Same assumption then should apply for a new car since the clutches are new.
To date there are no reports on any Audi vehicles we cover over 5 years that have got more advanced ECU than the one found in the RS3.
Thanks George for all your info. I wouldn't tune until 1k miles anyway, and don't really plan to launch except maybe a once in a while kinda thing (if ever) Ideally, I'd like this car to last forever. When I traded my WRX it was because of the limited potential of the trans and motor. Cannot get over 425hp without seriously endangering the FA20 motor and transmission, which means full build and STi transmission swap (big bucks). I was already at 400awhp to the wheels and pretty much was stuck there unless I wanted to throw another $25k at it, and even then, will be lucky to get in the high 500s. No thanks. This RS3 has all the power potential I'll ever need, so I don't see myself trading it in for a long, long time.
(#374)
Old

Default 07-10-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
So, not sure when this 10k maintenance was, but maybe you recall or have the paperwork you received. Either way, I know JB4 isn't a flash so its not a worry there, but they do have a code for piggybacks. I think its TB1 or something like that. I have a feeling thats a scare tactic ( or for those silly enough to leave it installed) but I like your idea of clearing the ECU of history, however, if you blow an engine, that's not going to be a possibility. The concern I guess is this. Sometimes stock, factory engines blow through no fault of the tune, and if they want to look deep. It's plausible to think that they can do some digging and figure it out. I am speculating that the odds of something like this are pretty damn low though. Seems the overwhelming majority of people have no issues with the vehicle at all when tuned modestly.
Maintenance was done about 2 months ago. I get along well with my service advisor and he was open to talking about warranty stuff. He did ask if my car was flashed. I was told that they would check if the car is operating within it's parameters. Kind of the reason I weaned my car back to 91 lol.
Paper work is clean. So, they either didn't plug my car into the VW/Audi mother brain (unlikely) or nothing out of the ordinary was detected.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#375)
Old

Default 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
One more question George. Do the built in safety features have much bearing on stock ecu files? I noticed you guys talking about it a lot in relation to custom flashes. Sounds fantastic to have an extra layer or protection built in. What of stock tunes? Is this necessary?

I apologize for the noobish questions, but I want to understand your product before i drop money into it. Questions of tuning. I assume you have OTS tunes ready to program the JB4 depending on octane and supporting mods. Does Burger offer additional tweaks to the OTS files for my specific car? Obviously every car is slightly different and will likely need some adjustments from car to car on one of your files. How does that work? Is there cost for each adjustment? Thank you

Quote:
Maintenance was done about 2 months ago. I get along well with my service advisor and he was open to talking about warranty stuff. He did ask if my car was flashed. I was told that they would check if the car is operating within it's parameters. Kind of the reason I weaned my car back to 91 lol.
Paper work is clean. So, they either didn't plug my car into the VW/Audi mother brain (unlikely) or nothing out of the ordinary was detected.
That's great news and a great strategy. Thanks for sharing. Seems very reasonable.