N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 02-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
The possibilities are endless. I can add a new table to be blended in about 30 minutes now. The functionality will blow past the Subaru implementation.
I really hope this eventually gets ported over to the f series N55. What is required to make it work with larger percentages of e85? An MHD pi controller? And the obvious lpfp and pi setup?

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#27)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-16-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Not use a JB4!!!?

Cool development.

Will BMS flashes be able to perform the similar magic to the MHD flex fuel adjustment?

I'll always be keeping my JB4 for the meth control and easy boost adjustment.
Would be nice if England would bring back the dam E85!
It probably can't adjust IGN timing, and afrs so that'd be up to the ECU's knock sensor and O2 sensor to compensate for.

(#28)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Or you could just wait for MHD flex fuel, which automatically adjusts timing, AFR, fuel scalar, timing IAT correction factor, cranking enrichment, spool mode timing and AFR, and load target for ANY E% mix, in any direction. It gives an exact ethanol % reading. And I can add any other tables needed to be blended as well.
I think the new MHD tables are great and it looks like there will be a lot of overlap. When it's released I'll see if we can incorporate any of what you're doing in to what we're doing. Absent of that we're confident we can provide a great level of ethanol tuning with minimal/no additional cost or effort to our customer base.

On the JB4 ethanol tuning end our basic plan:

Ethanol %: Via existing Fuel-IT flex fuel sensor kit, virtual sensor reading (less precision but no sensor required), or both.

Boost: JB4 will adjust the target as a function of the ethanol mixture also considering historic knock feedback and other factors.

AFR: JB4 will adjust the target proportional to boost above using the load feedback to the DMe and o2 bias as needed.

Timing: Looking at a couple options but the easiest option right now looks to be to use the IAT compensation table we adjust for anti-lag as the mechanism to add/subtract timing as a function of ethanol mixture. The JB4 will keep track of actual IAT and then spoof the signal back to the DME as needed for the desired target. I've got a couple other options I need to look at first though. It's possible we can do what we need using the load feedback alone which would simplify it.

Fuel-Scalar, cranking fuel, etc: We'll expand on the current fuel pressure bias back to the DME, in conjunction with another newer method, I've recently discovered.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
Not use a JB4!!!?
I know, right? Fuel-IT has a parallel solution that is meant more for the flash only crowd. Just to ensure he has his bases covered. He can discuss that down the road in another thread.

What we're talking about in this thread is simply the JB4 virtual ethanol sensor algorithm I'm working on. And of course how we plan to expand the JB4s autotuning map. The WMI changes we're working on are pretty cool too.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#30)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 02-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Terry,
how does this sensor interpolation get on with meth injection and water meth injection? Meth being 50% oxygen by mass and water being a great octane booster but not in theory combusting. It will of course change the % weight of the Air and fuel mixtures.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#31)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 10:04 AM

The virtual sensor logic? The approach we are testing right now works best at low throttle/cruise/idle. So we won't do any measurements at full throttle. The idea is for the system to monitor the gas level sender in the tank and then reset itself in to a quick learn when it detects fuel has been added. So it can determine what was added and how that changes the current ethanol mixture.

Burger Motorsports

(#32)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS

Ethanol %: Via existing Fuel-IT flex fuel sensor kit, virtual sensor reading (less precision but no sensor required), or both.

Boost: JB4 will adjust the target as a function of the ethanol mixture also considering historic knock feedback and other factors.

AFR: JB4 will adjust the target proportional to boost above using the load feedback to the DMe and o2 bias as needed.

Timing: Looking at a couple options but the easiest option right now looks to be to use the IAT compensation table we adjust for anti-lag as the mechanism to add/subtract timing as a function of ethanol mixture. The JB4 will keep track of actual IAT and then spoof the signal back to the DME as needed for the desired target. I've got a couple other options I need to look at first though. It's possible we can do what we need using the load feedback alone which would simplify it.

Fuel-Scalar, cranking fuel, etc: We'll expand on the current fuel pressure bias back to the DME, in conjunction with another newer method, I've recently discovered.
So in other words, a bunch of hacks and spoofs to try and come close to what the DME will be doing itself.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#33)
Old

Car: 335i m sport
Default 02-16-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I think the new MHD tables are great and it looks like there will be a lot of overlap. When it's released I'll see if we can incorporate any of what you're doing in to what we're doing. Absent of that we're confident we can provide a great level of ethanol tuning with minimal/no additional cost or effort to our customer base.

Am VERY excited for this!
(#34)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-16-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I know, right? Fuel-IT has a parallel solution that is meant more for the flash only crowd. Just to ensure he has his bases covered. He can discuss that down the road in another thread.

What we're talking about in this thread is simply the JB4 virtual ethanol sensor algorithm I'm working on. And of course how we plan to expand the JB4s autotuning map. The WMI changes we're working on are pretty cool too.
I guess because the DME once set properly can control the engine alot better than a piggy back can providing a better driving feel? Also tubing really isn't on the same level from piggy back to flash, the ECU flash can acess more parameters offer what some believe to be a better feel. While the piggy backs are a really smart boost controller with extra features.
I mean the only reason why the piggy back units work on our cars is because the ECU is so smart it prevents the motor from gernading. If you were to put a piggy back on a less advance ECU like for example on my sti I'd loose a ring land in probably one pull.

Not to hate on jb4 or anything since I really like it's port injection control. But this is how most flash guys see things, and why fuel-it would appeal to flash users since that community is growing every day with introduction of boot mod 3 and MHD improvementd, flash tuning keeps progressing and thus begins to offer features you wouldn't be able to attain before. Thus attaracting more users.

(#35)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
So in other words, a bunch of hacks and spoofs to try and come close to what the DME will be doing itself.
It's effectively no different than the hacks and spoofs added to the DME code to allow boost scaling and your new tables to function. The real difference will be higher level of logic we're able to implement given the higher programming flexibility with the JB4.

Burger Motorsports

(#36)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
Not to hate on jb4 or anything since I really like it's port injection control. But this is how most flash guys see things, and why fuel-it would appeal to flash users since that community is growing every day with introduction of boot mod 3 and MHD improvementd, flash tuning keeps progressing and thus begins to offer features you wouldn't be able to attain before. Thus attaracting more users.
With the N54 JB4+BEF the flash is doing the majority of the work, and this platform is much more highly advanced than the F series platform you're talking about. With any platform we do as much as we can on the flash side and then use the JB4 to supplement things the flash along isn't able to accommodate. What we're able to provide and how we provide it varies greatly on the platform and what tools exist for it.

In all cases having a JB4 in the mix adds greatly to the overall performance, features, safety, and improves drivability.

Burger Motorsports

(#37)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
With the N54 JB4+BEF the flash is doing the majority of the work, and this platform is much more highly advanced than the F series platform you're talking about. With any platform we do as much as we can on the flash side and then use the JB4 to supplement things the flash along isn't able to accommodate.
That's why people like me run stacked lol

Hopefully you try and port some of this stuff over to the F series as well.

(#38)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 02-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It's effectively no different than the hacks and spoofs added to the DME code to allow boost scaling and your new tables to function.
Hahahaha. That's actually hilarious. You keep believing it though

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#39)
Old
The Backyard Mechanic

Car: BMW 1 Series M
Default 02-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Or you could just wait for MHD flex fuel, which automatically adjusts timing, AFR, fuel scalar, timing IAT correction factor, cranking enrichment, spool mode timing and AFR, and load target for ANY E% mix, in any direction. It gives an exact ethanol % reading. And I can add any other tables needed to be blended as well.
Yes I will test both ways on my new development/track/drag car iam building here In Aus
(#40)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha. That's actually hilarious. You keep believing it though
I don't see why you're always so negative all the time. The more we can do on the DME side the better, and I'm very excited to incorporate anything new that comes along so we continue to provide our customers the best possible tuning solution. Keep up the good work on that front!

But as I've documented many times there is just a lot the DME can't do. You are starting to find this out yourself now by having to slop on extra piggyback boxes to do simple things like control water/meth, control port injection, read a flex fuel sensor signal, add a 2step/NLS, control a 33hz solenoid, output blue tooth data to a phone, run anti-lag, etc. At some point you might come to the conclusion that one solution that does all that in a highly integrated way is much better than 5 disparate boxes working largely independently. With one solution you can implement the same features in a safer and better way, and implement several other features that are only possible when fully integrated.

When you release your flex fuel implementation we'll take a good look at it in detail and incorporate what we can where it fits in to our plans.

Burger Motorsports

(#41)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 02-16-2017, 03:19 PM

Unless MHD comes up with a way to purposefully block it, there is no reason you won't be able to use the new MHD flex fuel tables alongside a JB4. In fact it will probably benefit JB4 users the most as Terry can put out one basemap and have all the bases covered.

The virtual flex fuel is a decent idea but without being able to pull timing it's pointless IMO. For free though it's not a bad idea

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#42)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Adjusting timing based on ethanol mixture will be no problem with or without the latest flash developments. That is the easy part...The fuel scalar is harder but I think we're OK there now. Perfecting the virtual sensor logic is the hardest part. But as the video showed, even if you have a physical flex fuel sensor, it's quite useful to have a 2nd opinion on the mixture.

Burger Motorsports

(#43)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 02-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Big things coming!

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#44)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I don't see why you're always so negative all the time. The more we can do on the DME side the better, and I'm very excited to incorporate anything new that comes along so we continue to provide our customers the best possible tuning solution. Keep up the good work on that front!

But as I've documented many times there is just a lot the DME can't do. You are starting to find this out yourself now by having to slop on extra piggyback boxes to do simple things like control water/meth, control port injection, read a flex fuel sensor signal, add a 2step/NLS, control a 33hz solenoid, output blue tooth data to a phone, run anti-lag, etc. At some point you might come to the conclusion that one solution that does all that in a highly integrated way is much better than 5 disparate boxes working largely independently. With one solution you can implement the same features in a safer and better way, and implement several other features that are only possible when fully integrated.

When you release your flex fuel implementation we'll take a good look at it in detail and incorporate what we can where it fits in to our plans.
Prop's Terry for always keeping a level head and staying professional while others try to blast you and your products. I'm glad you continue to evolve the platform and integrate things into the JB4. That being said, I'm assuming that with these new features coming out, we will be able to display the ethanol content via the mobile app and therefore would no longer be required to buy a ethanol sensor to keep track of ethanol content? I say this because I have had my eyes on getting a PI system for a while, but having a little problem biting the bullet on the price. This would save me some $$ and I would be able to justify buying it if the sensor would not be needed since I like the idea of keeping track of the content...

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#45)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM

On whether its worth it to add in a fuel fuel sensor or not, that depends entirely on how good we're able to make the virtual sensor logic. And that is an open area of development. But something we're committing to getting right so expect good things to come.

Burger Motorsports

(#46)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Couple nice logs of the new PWM meth in place. One at 70% across the board, another at 100%. Note how the signal updates sooner now which means for those running the progressive boost mapping you'll get in to boost sooner.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#47)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 02-16-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Jake you have access to the DME, the brain of our cars, which gives you a lot of power but there's no need to be a prick about it. The JB4 is still loved by many and it's thanks to Terry's hard work that it continues to be popular. As said above, the fact that a JB4 can work with a flash tune gives it all the options it needs. Having additional features like this flex fuel is really nice to have. The pwm meth control is something I've wanted for ages. However the best thing is the easy on the fly signal manipulation that means I can do all kinds of changes without reflashing my car and sitting by the side of the road waiting for that change to be written into the dme.
I know on the fly changes is something you're working towards. So how about being constructive rather than just coming across as a douche bag.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#48)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 02-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I'm still baffled as to why Jake H made you part of the Motiv team. Jake H is a great guy but you my friend are as negative as hell 99% of the time. You attack anyone that has an opinion that may differ just slightly to yours. Your the new Tony Vargas with your posts. You've forgotten how to conduct yourself online. How old are you, 18??

So you cracked the N54 DME, that doesn't make you Superman. Maybe superwomen.

Sorry Terry but he was really getting under my skin. Back onto WMI.

135i - JB4 15ohm l Mr 5 Intake l AA C@tless ********* l ETS Intercooler l BMS Methanol Injection l Berk Tech Mids l Berk Tech Axleback l BMS OCC l ER CP l Turbosmart BOV's. SOLD

335i DCT - JB4 G5 ISO l AA C@tless ********* l ETS Intercooler l Custom Intake l Meth l BMS E85 Flash l BMS OCC l ER CP l Walbro 255 l Turbosmart BOV's. CURRENT
(#49)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 02-16-2017, 08:54 PM

virtual flex fuel sounds great however it will be done, great to be able to add additional features like this to a Jb4 without having to purchase a Jb5 or a new box, glad you are sticking with the currently hardware.

anyways, I enjoy the JB4 for logging, and gauges with the android tablet as well as gauge hacking, for me alone its worth it, nice also to change boost setting on the fly, I wouldn't mind 2 maps for user control boost like two map 6 options.

From my understanding the n54's stock wide bands read in Lambda, and that is great for being able to reach stoic and being able to get to .85 or there about on any type of fuel, be it 91 or full e85. now my only guess is maybe your virtual software is going to read fuel volume passing vs lambda/afr value vs maybe air volume to determine the E content.

Really all this is over my head, but the good thing is you don't have to be 100% accurate, being that our cars run closed loop and do have wide bands that run trims real time the difference if you car is running e50 or e55 probably will be made up for in trim resolution as well as hopefully the virtual sensor will be accurate to 5 or so points....
(#50)
Old

Car: BMW 135i N54
Default 02-16-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Honestly I'm surprised you were so tolerant of his initial post in this thread considering it was an obvious attempt at pushing his own solution in a topic dedicated to testing what you're doing.

As much as we are thankful for Jake decoding so much of the DME his attitude is not what was when he was doing things purely for the good of the platform (and a few donations). While I don't blame him for wanting to capitalize he really makes a poor competitor in terms of conduct. The constant Facebook digs from the likes of him, Martial, Ken and others really are petty as they seem to have forgotten where their respective businesses owe their existence to.

2016 F22 M240i | 8ZF