N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default Iso_22 - 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Hey guys,

Have a new JB4 N54 ISO firmware to test. ISO_22 is the same as ISO_21 only menu 12 in dash allows you to adjust base duty cycle between 25% to 38%. ISO_19 is set to 26% while ISO_21 is set at 32%.

This setting is used during low throttle and will have an impact on low throttle response as well as wasteagte rattle during these conditions. Higher settings seem to better mask rattle but can cause over boosting down low (e.g. 4psi instead of 2psi, etc), which makes throttle input less smooth. Lower settings are smoother but with less response and more of a rattle propensity. Default wastegate duty governs wastegate position until boost goes over 1.5psi so this setting would cover the 1.5psi up to say 5psi range.

I'm not sure we'll leave this field user adjustable so consider this an experiment. Any questions emailed in regarding this field will be redirected to this thread. So if you don't know what to do or why to do it, and don't want to experiment, don't touch it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 535xi
Default 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM

Up to what throttle percentage would be considered base duty cycle?? Whatvwas the base duty cycle of g5 integrated and stock?
(#3)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 05-26-2013, 01:00 AM

Sweet. Testing now!
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Curious to see if this proves useful for any of you.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Honestly, I welcome more user adjustability as I come from Cobb/STI ATR (very useful tuning tool). 21/22 felt real good to me at 32% so I went to 33% then 34%, car feels great. We'll see.

Last edited by Jnat; 07-28-2013 at 06:10 AM..
(#6)
Old

Car: 1M
Default 05-26-2013, 12:57 PM

It seemed like rattle was completely gone on the 1M, but of course each car is different, and on my friend's 335i it didn't really reduce his rattle.

Is this one supposed to be adjustable or not yet? Settings would not save after being adjusted.
(#7)
Old

Default 05-26-2013, 05:17 PM

Right, my settings do not save too...
(#8)
Old

Car: 09 335xi
Default 05-26-2013, 07:49 PM

Mine saved?

Last edited by Jnat; 05-28-2013 at 03:51 AM..
(#9)
Old

Car: n54 TOOPL3SS
Default 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Almost done downloading can't wait to try it out
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-26-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum996
Right, my settings do not save too...
If set between 25-38 it should return to that setting when you go back to menu 12.

Burger Motorsports

(#11)
Old

Car: n54 TOOPL3SS
Default 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
If set between 25-38 it should return to that setting when you go back to menu 12.
No rattle on 21 or 22 with can flap on or off

I've been playing with it from 34 to 38 how much higher can I safely go

Or better yet what number should I not pass
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-27-2013, 12:05 PM

The maximum you can set is 38. After that the software will roll it back to 32.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 05-27-2013, 01:55 PM

Ohh i see now, i must have been going over 38, then it would roll back to 32, got it now.
(#14)
Old

Car: 3dirty5
Default 05-27-2013, 02:00 PM

I just uploaded the ISO 22 and tried different base duty cycle settings.

Is it normal that my car feels better (and louder) with a setting of 25? There is also less rattle.

At 38, there is definitely more rattle than at 25 and it didn't feel more responsive vs 25 (and 32).

All this testing was done with a lagfix 0.

I still can't use any lagfix settings above 20% or else it rattles like crazy (at any base duty cycle settings). I used to be able to use lagfix 100% with the G4 with only little to no rattle.
(#15)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axing
I just uploaded the ISO 22 and tried different base duty cycle settings.

Is it normal that my car feels better (and louder) with a setting of 25? There is also less rattle.

At 38, there is definitely more rattle than at 25 and it didn't feel more responsive vs 25 (and 32).

All this testing was done with a lagfix 0.

I still can't use any lagfix settings above 20% or else it rattles like crazy (at any base duty cycle settings). I used to be able to use lagfix 100% with the G4 with only little to no rattle.
The short answer is use whatever feels best for your car. Each wastegate setup seems to respond differently to various settings.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Car: 3dirty5
Default 05-27-2013, 02:12 PM

^ ok good thanks! I'm happy with the way the G5 feels now.

I will do some logs soon.

2007 335i coupe AT

JB4 G5, *********, 7'' intercooler, DCI, Alpina B3 Flash
Aero Lip, M3 Sideskirts and spoiler

To do : BMS meth trunk kit and elbow, M3 rear bumper, RB turbos
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-27-2013, 05:16 PM

Seems stable enough so I added it to the ISO sticky.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 05-27-2013, 05:50 PM

ISO 22 works great. That new 12-menu feature is awesome.

I did the following to set up the WG's:
1. Set default position to largest value such that I get no rattle on decel
1a. This is 100 b/c I have new turbos, but I used 96 just to be cautious.
2. Set default duty cycle to lowest value such that I do not get rattle on low throttle
2a. Also easy since I barely got any rattle in the first place.
2b. This was 27.
3. Increase default duty cycle from previous point until response is what I like.
3a. This was 29.

At 29, I do not get any overboost at low throttle, but at 30 duty cycle I do. So I figure 29 is the best value.

Also, this is all with 93 octane. I suspect that when I go back to E85 mix I'll need to lower the duty cycle default.

With the above settings, the car is the best it has ever been. Extremely responsive and very linear throttle. No oscillation. No rattle.

Tuning Obsessed Central Oregon Engineer

08 E82 N54 (bimmerboost flash tuned by me)

Last edited by Milwaukee135; 05-28-2013 at 06:55 AM..
(#19)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee135
ISO 22 works great. That new 12-menu feature is awesome.

I did the following to set up the WG's:
1. Set default position to largest value such that I get no rattle on decel
1a. This is 100 b/c I have new turbos, but I used 96 just to be cautious.
2. Set default duty cycle to lowest value such that I do not get rattle on low throttle
2a. Also easy since I barely got any rattle in the first place.
2b. This was 27.
3. Increase default duty cycle from previous point until response is what I like.
3a. This was 29.

At 29, I do not get any overboost at low throttle, but at 30 duty cycle I do. So I figure 29 is the best value.

Also, this is all with 93 octane. I suspect that when I go back to E85 mix I'll need to lower the duty cycle default.

With the above settings, the car is the best it has ever been. Extremely responsive and very linear throttle. No oscillation. No rattle.
Perfect that is exactly how these user adjustments are supposed to be utilized.

Burger Motorsports

(#20)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 05-28-2013, 12:09 PM

terry what was the approximate setting on 20B for reference?
(#21)
Old
Power slide freak

Car: 09 E82 MT6 JB4 ST3
Default 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Will 38 % near 4rpm on tach or.....

If you are not going JUICE BOX then you are going SLOW
[N54 with RB`S, E82 MT, DCI aFe,CHARGEPIPE,SINGLE BOV&FMIC ACTIVE AUTOWERKES, NST CRANK PULLEY, 3' BMS **, M PERFORMANCE EXHAUST, BMS MCV, BMS OCC, BMS 2STEP, JB4 G5 ISO board BMS Flash at 20.5psi]
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu
terry what was the approximate setting on 20B for reference?
28 iirc.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Car: 335i e92
Default 05-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
28 iirc.
ha that's interesting.

19 was better than 20B, but 20D is better than both of them.
(#24)
Old

Car: 2007 E90 335i
Default 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM

has anyone had any issues with the gauges going out of whack when you use stealth gauges? (5/6)
Ive had to reset the gauges several times and cant seem to get the stealth gauges to turn on (always hijacked)
Im using ISO G5 21.hex
going to update to 22.hex and see if anything changes
(#25)
Old
Probably being sarcastic

Car: e46 323i & e90 335i
Default 05-29-2013, 04:54 AM

Read the g5 faq and reset the gauges via the steering wheel controls

200k mi 99 blk 4dr e46 m52 323i w/ h&r's k&n cai shark'd
95 e36 m3 s50 5spd stg2 turner re11a's autox toy lol
07 BSM 6spd e90 n54 335i jb4 g5 iso ar **'s SPEC 2+ w/ SMFW BMW ssk bms dci RB pcv 455lph lpfp 50% e85 Syn. BOV hijk lmnop
94 e34 530it 290k 350ci sbc tko600 project

Closed Thread