N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335i
Default Intermittent Electrical Issue (Dying) on Startup - 11-16-2020, 07:34 AM

Hello all! I have had strange, intermittent, lingering electrical issues with my 2011 335i xdrive since purchasing in 2014, but nothing like the current issue. I'm just looking for any troubleshooting guidance, thoughts, or previous experiences. Current issue is below, and then I'll also paste a brief history of all the weird things that happen to this car, as well as the various modifications on it.

Electrically dying on startup: Starting a few days ago, about 50% of the time I go to star the car, it completely dies electrically before startup. This happens when I push the start button, and EVERYTHING goes off. No lights, no chimes, nothing. If I exit the car, somewhere between 10 seconds and 2 minutes later, it will come back to life. Then the car starts up just fine. I keep the car on a battery tender inside a conditioned garage, it is driven daily, and the battery is only a few months old.

History of issues:
-Since purchase: occasional "elevated battery discharge" error message in idrive. Mostly went away when I started using a battery tender all the time. Car has always been daily driven.
-A few months ago, while on a spirited drive, I started getting all sorts of weird error messages, followed by the car completely dying. It wouldn't start, and sounded like the battery was dead. I suspected an alternator issue failing to charge the battery, causing it it die. However, after 10 minutes, the car started up and drove just fine. Error codes included electrical system shutdowns due to low battery charge/voltage, but no other smoking guns. I replaced the battery as a precaution, since it was 5 years old. Nothing similar has happened since.
-Car has a history of 'going into limp mode,' both the severe reduced-power mode as well as a version that looks like that on the instrument cluster, but the car still drives fine. Still does it on JB4 Map 0, but less frequently than Map 1 or 2.

Modifications:
-JB4 (usually run Map 1)
-Cobb backend flash using the Burger Tuning JB4_98G0B_PUMP file
-BMW PPK flash
-c-less dp

My plan right now is to:
-Scan for any codes of note (none so far, but that was before the non-start issue recurred)
-Remove JB4
-Remove flash tune(s)
-Replace IBS (ordered it after the first non-start event as a precaution; not sure it makes sense any more, but why not)
-Continue to monitor

Thanks in advance. Not sure what specifically I'm looking for, but it's a hard one to diagnose/search-for/troubleshoot!

2001 e36/7 M Roadster 5spd - stock-ish
2008 e90 335i 6spd - modified!
2011 e90 335xi 6spd - lightly modified
2011 e70 x5 diesel - stock (for now...)
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-16-2020, 12:37 PM

There was a recall on a battery cable on some models, might be worth looking in to. Also check the engine grounds.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 11-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Thanks! I did just find out about that recall in my research. It was done to my car in 2013, but I will check the positive battery cable where it enters the fuse box. Engine ground looks and feels good, and the voltage as measured across the jumping points under the hood and positive-terminal-to-cylinder-head are identical.

(#4)
Old

Default 11-17-2020, 08:06 AM

I received feedback from someone else that the power supply to the JB4 might also be a concern? It is currently wired per the instructions to the 50A fuse, but I was told to switch it to one of the ignition-switched fuses in the DME box instead. Any feedback or truth to that?

I still plan to just remove it as a variable while I troubleshoot, but that was new news to me.

(#5)
Old

Default 11-27-2020, 10:49 AM

I figured I'd follow up after a decent period of time on this - I took the actions previously discussed (remove JB4, remove backend flash, replace IBS) and went ahead and used the Cobb AP I already have to flash their Stage 2 (mainly for the CEL delete). No recurrence or similar issues since, though I'll continue to monitor.

(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-27-2020, 11:04 AM

Sounds like you have a V1 PWG system. The V2 systems don't have a power wire and pull power off the solenoid harness instead. Might be worth upgrading the board and rerouting the power to rule that out.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.