N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: '08 135i MT
Default Stock HPFP capability - 07-16-2019, 08:31 PM

Hey team,

I'm running E60 with the following mods:

VRSF ca.tle.ss d.own.pi.pes
Walbro 450 in tank (often referred to as stage 2 I think)
3.5bar TMAP
DCI
JB4 obviously

Using MAP6 I have been able to turn boost slowly up to 24psi and my fuel pressures are great (both high and low).

I'm wondering how far you can go boost wise on straight E85 with the factory HPFP. Does anyone know? Or does it vary car to car based on wear/mileage?

Curious what other's experiences are.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Every car is different. I would post a log so we can evaluate.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboBlackkers
Hey team,

I'm running E60 with the following mods:

VRSF ca.tle.ss d.own.pi.pes
Walbro 450 in tank (often referred to as stage 2 I think)
3.5bar TMAP
DCI
JB4 obviously

Using MAP6 I have been able to turn boost slowly up to 24psi and my fuel pressures are great (both high and low).

I'm wondering how far you can go boost wise on straight E85 with the factory HPFP. Does anyone know? Or does it vary car to car based on wear/mileage?

Curious what other's experiences are.
depends on car / overall health of the oem hpfp.

Are you stock turbos? 24 psi on stock turbos vs say hybrids is alot different.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#4)
Old

Default 07-17-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
depends on car / overall health of the oem hpfp.

Are you stock turbos? 24 psi on stock turbos vs say hybrids is alot different.
Yep stock turbos Dave.

I guess I'll put some straight E85 in and log my way up until FP_H begins to drop.

I'll post my logs here, interesting that every car seems to be different.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335xi - jb4 - DCI
Default 07-17-2019, 10:58 PM

I think E50 is the sweet spot for stock DI. I just replaced my 1st gen hpfp (2007 vintage). It did have a few hiccups now and then, but notably not necessarily at the highest boost levels, and often hit 21-22psi (GC lites) with no problem, at AFR 12.3 and 11-12 degrees. BG 44k once in a while seemed to help, too, but maybe I'm dreaming this up, also altitude (5600') might be a consideration. Overall, the old hpfp kept up bravely, and I'm not sure yet if the new hpfp, latest revision, is any better. My guess is with pure E85, you'll see the limit, but I'll be interested to see the results. My current setup is for maximizing output on stock DI, maybe I'll do PI later, if only to keep the intake clean(er).

2007 335xi (I8A0S kline) -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#6)
Old

Default 07-17-2019, 11:45 PM

I'm just wondering as well, the LOAD as logged by the JB4 seems quite low.

I'm tracing the timing table in the BEF using TunerPro and the load values in my log seem very low.

Load value of 18 at 20psi seems a bit low? Timing is around 8-9 degrees between 4-5000 RPM which would assume load values around 140+ right?

Do I multiply the logged load value by 10 or something? I couldn't see this in the logging parameters guide.

Sorry if I'm way off here.
I'll post my logs once I get some clean pulls in, wet weather has meant no traction recently!
Attached Images

(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 07-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboBlackkers
I'm just wondering as well, the LOAD as logged by the JB4 seems quite low.

I'm tracing the timing table in the BEF using TunerPro and the load values in my log seem very low.

Load value of 18 at 20psi seems a bit low? Timing is around 8-9 degrees between 4-5000 RPM which would assume load values around 140+ right?

Do I multiply the logged load value by 10 or something? I couldn't see this in the logging parameters guide.

Sorry if I'm way off here.
I'll post my logs once I get some clean pulls in, wet weather has meant no traction recently!
Flash parameters won't change if your pumps are healthy or not

Post a log with the fuel you want to use and start with a lower map.
We'll evaluate and tell you where to go from there.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 07-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Yes, multiply by 10 for load.
Now that I double checked, it does not say so on the logging parameters page
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21269

2007 335xi (I8A0S kline) -- VTT GC lites + inlets + outlets -- Fuel-it stg 2 lpfp -- CPE catted **, FMIC, CP -- Tial BOV -- BMS DCI + OCC
JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#9)
Old

Default 07-20-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Flash parameters won't change if your pumps are healthy or not

Post a log with the fuel you want to use and start with a lower map.
We'll evaluate and tell you where to go from there.

I tried straight E85. I haven't tested the exact percentage, and I don't know if they lower the E blend in winter here in Melbourne. But fuel pressure looks great.

Lol I know you said start on a lower map, but fuel pressure was fine so I went Map 1 to Map 2 to Map 7.

Looks like I've got some knocking on cylinder 5 though? Timing isn't crazy though which is interesting.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-07-20 17_51_43_Map-7.csv (14.4 KB, 42 views)
(#10)
Old

Default 07-20-2019, 06:58 PM

Oh, boy. Av ign goes up to 1. Not much, but I have not seen above anything other than 0.0 already with E50. Bad fuel could explain timing corrections (also ign 1,2), but even so, hpfp dips to 5, which is not good. You see this hiccup even in rpm.

JB4 + BMS bef (E50)
(#11)
Old

Default 07-21-2019, 12:15 AM

Yeah you're right, I didn't even notice that the HPFP dropped briefly to 5.

I looked at more logs and here's a 2nd gear pull where the fuel pressure looks fine at this boost level, albeit with not much headroom.

It's weird that this tune is knocking even though I'm running straight E85.
I don't know the exact percentage but considering the fuel pressure at this boost level it seems that there's plenty of E in the fuel.

What could be the cause of knock here? Could it be a bad injector or something?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-07-20 17_48_48_Map-7.csv (9.9 KB, 16 views)