N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 135i alpine white
Default BMS intake or OEM air box - 10-30-2019, 11:15 AM

Hello all,

I have an 09 135i w/ the majority of the mods done. 170k miles. I have a misfire cylinder 5 & misfire cylinder 2. Took it to the mechanic yesterday to have fixed. The #2 misfire is fixed however the #5 misfire only comes on when I romp on it to go past 80mph. So the code comes on like from 80-90mph. He first was in thinking walnut blast but I didnít have him do it yet. He is asking that I put back on the factory air box & see it this fixes the issue. I have had the car for probably 4 yrs & have never had an issue w/ the BMS intake. I replaced the air filters 1.5-2 yrs ago.

He did replace all the coil packs & spark plugs. I put in a injector in August hoping that would fix the #5 misfire.

Has anyone ever had experience where the intake has caused a misfire at higher speeds?

Thank you,
b
Edit QUOTE
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-31-2019, 01:09 PM

Makes no sense to be an intake.

Check the plugs and coil on that cylinder.

I'd go with NGK spark plugs over OEM.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2009 135i alpine white
Default 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM

I have RB Turbos so I have to use a colder plug that Rob recommends. All three have been replaced. Let me ask this question the injector is from BMW however I can not say it was coded. Is there any way this would make a difference? Like I said the code only comes on when I romp on it past 80MPH. The only other fact is the BMS intakes are a bit dirty.
(#4)
Old

Car: 08 E60 535i
Default 10-31-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1
I have RB Turbos so I have to use a colder plug that Rob recommends. All three have been replaced. Let me ask this question the injector is from BMW however I can not say it was coded. Is there any way this would make a difference? Like I said the code only comes on when I romp on it past 80MPH. The only other fact is the BMS intakes are a bit dirty.
You say that all three have been replaced. What three are you speaking of? A coil, a plug and a injector?

Shouldn't have anything to do with your air intakes like Payam said (in this case, the BMS DCI's) unless you were getting 0 air at all, in which the car wouldn't run and all cylinders would be equally affected. Car might start, but would die shortly after. Definitely wouldn't run right, and you would never get to 80 MPH. Or anywhere close for that matter. That's only IF your filters were really that dirty.

Problem would be related only to cyl #5 like Payam said. Plug, coil or your intake valves are so caked with gunk that only a walnut shell blasting, etc. will fix.

You said your mech changed the plugs and coils. Did he only change the cylinder #5 plug and coil now since that's where your fault code was point him towards? Possibly making a bigger problem by putting a stock plug in there unlike the colder plugs you already had in there? So could it have been a bad, cold plug to begin with and instead of replacing it with another, exact same type plug he maybe put in a OEM plug and now your problem is exaggerated? Just a thought... If your mech didn't know what you had in there to begin with, he may have done this.

A quick check (3 minutes) would be to pull plug from cylinder #5, swap it with cylinder #4 plug (No issues with cylinder #4 right?). Put coils back on exactly where they came from, do not swap the coils for this test.

Go for a drive, same as you would've before, above 80 MPH to see if you get a code for misfire. If you do and it's for cylinder #4 now, you know that the plug you took out of #5 and put in #4 is bad and the problem is simply following it. If the code reappears for cylinder #5 you know its the coil in #5 and your plugs are fine. It happens, I've had a new $20 plug be bad straight out of the box before. If no code, don't break what isn't broke and be happy lol

If the code doesn't show up though, maybe the plug just wasn't seated down tight all the way therefore affecting combustion in the cylinder. Maybe after swapping them you'll have fixed your problem just by tightening them down properly but in their new locations.

And, lastly, but I think more importantly, is this: What gear are you in when getting the code? 4TH? 5TH? When you step (ROMP) on it at that speed, if your in a lower RPM range the load on the vehicle increases dramatically and can/will effectively strain and put a hurt on coils / plugs. Do you get the cylinder misfire when your going above 80 MPH in 3rd gear? Or only above 80MPH in 4th or 5th gear? What RPM's is this happening at? Not just MPH.

Long story short. I bet your plug or coil is bad, like Payam said. You could take a chance and leave the plugs/coils as they are, pull off the DCI's in 30 seconds and drive it if your not in a dusty/dirty environment and see if you get codes to satisfy your thought of the air filters being the cause of the problem. But I can't see how they are in any way causing the issue you have. I bet it's a simple fix though. Good luck and please let us know what you learn. I'm betting my swear jar 5$ that it's not air filter related

Hopefully your mechanic can be trusted. Wondering since you don't do the plugs/coils yourself that he may think he can pull one on ya and just say that the walnut blasting will fix your problem. Then he just changes a plug and charges you $600-$1000 for a blast job he never even did. How would you know unless you were watching the process right? I'm not accusing anyone, don't get me wrong please, but it happens all the time.

Good luck

Brandon
Hayden, Idaho.

* 08' 535I. * JB4 W/ Bluetooth Connect & BMS PUMP BEF. * Billy Boat 535I 3.5" *****-back exhaust W/ resonator delete. * BMS DCI. * NGK 2 step colder plugs @ .020" (And I mean .020" on money!). * New Eldor coils. * BMS BOV adapter and BMS Vac side OCC. * BMS Chargepipe. * TIAL BOV W/ Hard 1/4" Vacuum line W/stock spring. * XHP Stage 2 * C-@-T P-I-P-E-S soon enough...... 11/7/19.

[/SIGPIC]