N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 535i
Default BMS Charge Pipe Challenges (535i) - 01-19-2020, 10:58 AM

Hey everyone,
I've spent a decent amount of time searching but never posted.

This thread is a bit of a call for help but also to document my install challenges and help someone else down the line. The 5 series does not enjoy the same wealth of parts and information that the turbo 3 series cars do.

As someone who can't leave well enough alone, I decided to pick up a Burger Motorsports charge pipe for my E60. I consider them one of the more reputable companies out there. I expected a somewhat painless install, but ran into some major clearance issues.

I have photos but Photobucket is currently down. Will try to update asap.

Quality is great, and all hardware looks like something I'd want on my car

Install is where the trouble comes in. Because of the wider bend radius and tubing OD, the charge pipe interferes with my power steering lines and the reservoir. Even with the reservoir bracket removed, I can't maneuver it to a place where these lines aren't getting squeezed by the charge pipe.

Has anyone made it to the other side of this install? I'd like to know what I'm missing here. The only solutions I see are

A: extend the lines and move the reservoir

B: put a big old dent in my nicely finished charge pipe

Input and insights greatly appreciated

Last edited by OldManSedan; 01-19-2020 at 01:12 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 01-19-2020, 12:01 PM

Note:
Charge Pipe ordered is e60 specific for n54 cars

Diverter valve fittings are clearly in the 5 series specific locations, but I seem to be SOL on clearance. I can't tell if this pipe was made with the wrong bends or if the sport package reservoir is dramatically different on size/line routing
(#3)
Old

Default 01-19-2020, 01:10 PM

Update photo 1
Attached Images

(#4)
Old

Default 01-19-2020, 01:11 PM

Update photo 2
Attached Images

(#5)
Old

Default 01-20-2020, 08:52 AM

Quick update. I've been told by customer service that a tight fit is normal, and to install this as-is.

​​​​​​​I believe the motor will torque away from these lines under acceleration but I still need at least some clearance here to daily/track the car. I don't believe in leaving things like this to chance, so next update will be me massaging this cp for appropriate clearance. With the lines half closed when installed, I have some work to do.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-21-2020, 04:49 PM

Yes the E60 is a tight fit but that's how it has to be to retain a full 3" pipe.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 01-26-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes the E60 is a tight fit but that's how it has to be to retain a full 3" pipe.
I can understand it's a tight workspace, but my understanding is all of the problems I've run into are because this is an e9x design applied to the e6x platform. My power steering interference is in an area where the 3 series has no lines or reservoirs

I'll say that I appreciate the company. This is a jb4 car, and I just installed a BMS oil catch can while replacing my valve cover gasket. Unfortunately this charge pipe is not the plug and play solution I expected it to be, and requires real modification to fit to the 5 series. If I had known this when buying, my tone would be different
(#8)
Old

Default 01-26-2020, 04:15 PM

Pictured is the minimum modification I was comfortable with to clear my power steering reservoir and reduce compression on the ps lines. This made install 10x easier, and I didn't have to crush the lines to get the charge pipe over the throttle body.

Again, all hardware is stout and holding 13psi without issue. However, this product could stand to have it's own bend profile and be more e60 specific than relocated diverter valve connections.

Vehicles without the sport package may have an easier time, but this is my experience. I hope this helps other owners looking for a charge pipe
Attached Images

(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-27-2020, 07:07 PM

Looks fine to me there if that makes you more comfortable with the fitment.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Car: 08 135i
Default 03-14-2020, 01:38 AM

That is a lot of fidgeting around with a damn charge pipr

@e82n54 -- 11.3@122 -- stock turbos, stock exhaust, stock suspension
(#11)
Old

Default 03-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphiteE82
That is a lot of fidgeting around with a damn charge pipr
Yeah I just wasn't very confident with how much I had to press on the ps lines just to test fit it. It wouldn't slip over the throttle body without a lot of muscle on the lines.

Not perfect but much easier to work with now
(#12)
Old

Car: 2010 E61 535I
Default 03-24-2020, 01:02 PM

That's to bad, mine fit's perfectly.
I would buy again.
(#13)
Old

Default 03-24-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluestreak
That's to bad, mine fit's perfectly.
I would buy again.
Does your car have active power steering?