N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2017 BMW 340iX
Default No more rev matching! - 09-30-2018, 03:10 PM

Just got my car back from the BMW dealer. They updated the software to the latest version, at no cost. The latest version allows switching off rev matching. Finally. This is much better.

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-01-2018, 07:19 AM

Really!? How do you do it, through the settings?

I wonder if I can do this for my M4, that would be awesome!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM

I have a 2017 340ix. While getting a tire repaired at the dealer I asked about getting rev matching dropped. A technician heard me and said they can do it with the latest software update, and they would do it under warrantee. Took a couple of hours, no charge, and works great.

So I would talk to your dealer tech directly.

Good luck.

2017 340iX with M track handling package, 6 speed manual, BMS intake, and JB4 piggyback; EWG and FP wires; 93 octane; and fun with Honda S2000; Ninja Z1000.
(#4)
Old

Default 10-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboh
I have a 2017 340ix. While getting a tire repaired at the dealer I asked about getting rev matching dropped. A technician heard me and said they can do it with the latest software update, and they would do it under warrantee. Took a couple of hours, no charge, and works great.

So I would talk to your dealer tech directly.

Good luck.
Also, BimmerCode has a setting option which will discontinue start safety without a clutch, but also stop rev matching.

Alex

(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 10-03-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Also, BimmerCode has a setting option which will discontinue start safety without a clutch, but also stop rev matching.

Alex
Thank you Alex, I'll definitely have to look into it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 10-08-2018, 10:15 AM

So how does this rev match not work anymore when you down shift?

|2018 BMW 340i|M-sport|Track Pack|
|M-Performance exhaust|CG 5" catted|BMS intake|JB4|BMS Meth kit Dual BM7 nozzles|
(#7)
Old

Default 10-08-2018, 01:32 PM

I have the 6MT. Originally, when I shifted down, I would push down on the clutch and the moment I selected a gear the engine would rev up to the proper rpm for matching the selected gear. No juicing the gas pedal required. It makes for very smooth shifting. But, I like using engine braking and so it would reduce that effect.

(#8)
Old

Car: '11 135i Coupe
Default 11-28-2018, 04:00 PM

Just got the update, but I do not see anything in i-drive to turn this off. I admittedly have not yet driven the car, maybe its on in comfort and off in sport or something??
(#9)
Old

Default 11-28-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55pioneer
Just got the update, but I do not see anything in i-drive to turn this off. I admittedly have not yet driven the car, maybe its on in comfort and off in sport or something??
It is my understanding that you have to request the technician to turn it off. I do not think it works directly off the drive controls.

Alex👍

(#10)
Old

Default 11-30-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
It is my understanding that you have to request the technician to turn it off. I do not think it works directly off the drive controls.

Alex👍
Thanks. I have a good relationship with the Tech, we talked about it this morning. There were no selections for rev-match, only standard selections for sat radio, no flapper exhaust systems, etc. He saw nothing available during programming for rev match. I do not have Navigation, we are thinking maybe this is why there is no i-drive setting for it in my 340.

I did notice that with DTC/DSC off (holding traction button down), there is no rev-matching! I am not sure if this is new with the update, unfortunately, as I do not remember trying this before being updated. I rarely use this mode, I like the sport steering, EDC, etc... So it would NOT be useful (to me) if the update only allows rev-match to be off in this mode.

I wish OP, or someone, would explain a bit better about how it works in their BMW.
(#11)
Old

Default 11-30-2018, 12:33 PM

I just noticed you are driving a different model and year car. That may be why. Try BimmerCode code and ask if their setup allows you to remove rev matching. It did for minde, but I lost the clutch depression start safety. Hence, I preferred the bmw update route and it was free.

(#12)
Old

Default 11-30-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I just noticed you are driving a different model and year car. That may be why. Try BimmerCode code and ask if their setup allows you to remove rev matching. It did for minde, but I lost the clutch depression start safety. Hence, I preferred the bmw update route and it was free.
I am MY18 340i MPPSK, should be the same as MY17. I couldn't figure out how to change my garage on the site, haven't had that n55 for a while.
(#13)
Old

Default 12-02-2018, 02:31 AM

Call Tulley's BMW in Manchester, NH and ask for the service tech that works on those updates.

(#14)
Old

Default 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Call Tulley's BMW in Manchester, NH and ask for the service tech that works on those updates.
This is not a technician issue, I am 99.9% sure.

1) Are you using the bimmercode.whatever version of turning off rev-matching?

2) Is it the factory BMW DME update that got rid of it for you? (like your OP says?)

If the answer to #2 is yes, how does the rev-match operate for you? Off 100% of the time? Do you have a selection in idrive or some other way to select it on and off? For me rev-match is only off with DSC and DTC off fully (holding traction for 5 secs). So, not useful for me. Can you describe the operation in your 2017 340i?
(#15)
Old

Default 12-09-2018, 03:38 AM

Hi,

It appears my earlier reply did not go through. Answering your questions:
1. The update was a DME upgrade by Tully BMW in Manchester, NH.
2. I was having my car inspected and happened to ask the service guy about the possibility of turning off the rev match, at which point he chuckled and said that bmw had just released such an upgrade, and he could instal it free. It took a couple of hours and now works very well.
3. I only drive in sport or comfort mode. I know the rev match does not work in those modes.
4. I like engine braking at times, so this change helps. I did notice that the braking is less than with my old Saab. I understand this is due to the B58 not using a throttle valve thereby reducing pumping losses.

Hope this helps.

Alex

(#16)
Old

Default 12-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Hi,

It appears my earlier reply did not go through. Answering your questions:
1. The update was a DME upgrade by Tully BMW in Manchester, NH.
2. I was having my car inspected and happened to ask the service guy about the possibility of turning off the rev match, at which point he chuckled and said that bmw had just released such an upgrade, and he could instal it free. It took a couple of hours and now works very well.
3. I only drive in sport or comfort mode. I know the rev match does not work in those modes.
4. I like engine braking at times, so this change helps. I did notice that the braking is less than with my old Saab. I understand this is due to the B58 not using a throttle valve thereby reducing pumping losses.

Hope this helps.

Alex
It does, thanks.