N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2015 M4 F82 Coupe
Default VTT S55 Stage 2 Turbos Fail - 06-27-2016, 04:19 PM

Hello,

I want to share my experience with VTT S55 Stage 2 turbos. The turbo was purchase on Dic. 2015 and fail on May 2016 (with only 6 month of use). White smoke coming from the exhaust. Before I purchase the turbos I read failing reviews form Vargas, but never thought it can happen to every customer using his brand. I give them a try but I wish I never purchase those turbos.

After the fail I contact Vargas for warranty repair and he said that when turbo fail the way mine fail its because I ingested something inside in the turbo. I told him that I would send the turbos to Pure then he was willing to help, but I decide to go now with Pure and not keep taking risks. Jesse and Charles were very helpful and help me solve my issue right away. The main problem of the car burning oil was the thrust bearing damage. I couldn't attach the white smoke videos or oil coming out of the turbos, but I have them if you would like to watch them.

PURE took the failed VTT turbos, fixed all of the issues I had with them, and upgraded to PURE specifications, which is why they are now making power. PURE its the best company to work with. Attach the new dyno graph at 21 psi boost pressure, measured with P3cars gauge.

Car mods:
Miami Tuning Group flash
PURE Stage 2 Turbos (Not VTT)
AWE heat exchanger
Fabspeed Valved Exhaust
Fabspeed ******* ***
Dodson Sportsman Clutch Pack
Injen Air Intake
Attached Images

TWO FAST FOR YOU!

Last edited by Sam's; 06-28-2016 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Title Error
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam's
Hello,

I want to share my experience with VTT S55 Stage 2 turbos. The turbo was purchase on Dic. 2015 and fail on May 2016 (with only 6 month of use). Before I purchase the turbos I read failing reviews form Vargas, but never thought it can happen to every costumer using his brand. I gave them
Wait so was it a vargas failure? your title makes it confusing.

Edit- I saw your update with the rest of the post.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now

Last edited by Lowon; 06-27-2016 at 05:10 PM..
(#3)
Old

Car: 2012 335is
Default 06-27-2016, 04:38 PM

You gave them...
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-27-2016, 05:15 PM

Yeah pure is the best company for our platforms and turbo upgrading (in my opinion anyways). May wanna change the post title to avoid confusion, i've never had great sucess with tony and vargas he was impatient when I was in contact with him (didn't really let me ask too many questions), and kept trying to rush me in for an install at his shop. Jesse has taken great care of me since and answered all my questions (even though they were almost endless) and I plan to take my M2 to them day 1 (thanks jesse).

Overall Im sorry about your experience with Vargas.

Last edited by Lowon; 12-01-2016 at 11:29 PM..
(#5)
Old

Default 06-27-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
Yeah pure is the best company for our platforms and turbo upgrading. May wanna change the post title to avoid confusion, i've never had great sucess with tony and vargas he was impatient when I was in contact with him, and kept trying to rush me in for an install at his shop (thank god I declined), Jesse has taken great care of me since and answered all my questions (even though they were almost endless) and I plan to take my M2 to them day 1 (thanks jesse).

Overall Im sorry about your experience with Vargas.
Hello Lowon, how do I change the Title Post? I tried many times no success.

TWO FAST FOR YOU!
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-27-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Hello Lowon, how do I change the Title Post? I tried many times no success.
I think it's locked now , maybe send a message to the forum leaders at the bottom of the page and hopefully they can fix it for you. I just dont feel right having the thought of pure being blamed for Vargas's product. Wish I could have helped you out more.
~lowon

Last edited by Lowon; 12-01-2016 at 11:32 PM..
(#7)
Old

Car: 2011 E92 335xi
Default 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM

Hahahahahahaha #VTTfailsonceagain

I'm happy PURE helped you out. Expected nothing less from them.
(#8)
Old
VTT ***** *****

Car: All Things Booost
Default 06-28-2016, 12:34 PM

Sami,

I'm very sorry to hear about the problems you had with your S55 turbos.

To answer some questions, the inlet is by all means not hand ported. Machining is done via CNC. The picture you posted shows clear compressor rub.

The bearing housings are also done by CNC, however, that is a clearance area, meaning no tolerance there -it just makes room for the wheel OD. It does look like they missed a finishing pass there -not a huge deal, however, not acceptable.

A proper diagnosis would have taken an in-person inspection, which I understand you chose to get done by Pure. Unfortunately, since you did not want to send the parts back to VTT, all we can do is speculate or repeat the words of a competitor -not a good situation for us.

Your history with Tony prior to this was good -it's also my understanding that Tony went out of his way to help you after you received some incorrect parts from Dodson, I believe Tony even paid international shipping out of pocket to try to help you out. Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with this, but it shows the background positive relationship between yourself and VTT. We would have appreciated the opportunity to continue that relationship.

At VTT we stand behind our products. The best case would have been for no failure to have occurred, but next best case would have been for us to be able to diagnose our own products and, as we mentioned to you via email, make sure you were taken care of.

Sorry for your troubles,

Chris

Chris - VTT Forum Representative
For fastest response: Chris@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#9)
Old

Default 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech
Sami,

To answer some questions, the inlet is by all means not hand ported. Machining is done via CNC. The picture you posted shows clear compressor rub.

The bearing housings are also done by CNC, however, that is a clearance area, meaning no tolerance there -it just makes room for the wheel OD. It does look like they missed a finishing pass there -not a huge deal, however, not acceptable.

A proper diagnosis would have taken an in-person inspection, which I understand you chose to get done by Pure. Unfortunately, since you did not want to send the parts back to VTT, all we can do is speculate or repeat the words of a competitor -not a good situation for us.

Your history with Tony prior to this was good -it's also my understanding that Tony went out of his way to help you after you received some incorrect parts from Dodson, I believe Tony even paid international shipping out of pocket to try to help you out. Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with this, but it shows the background positive relationship between yourself and VTT. We would have appreciated the opportunity to continue that relationship.

At VTT we stand behind our products. The best case would have been for no failure to have occurred, but next best case would have been for us to be able to diagnose our own products and, as we mentioned to you via email, make sure you were taken care of.

Sorry for your troubles,

Chris
Hello Chris, I had a discussion with Tony this morning and I don't think he want to keep relationship because he told me to never contact them again.

About the Dodson clutch pack he send me the superstock instead of the sportsman it was his mistake so he had the obligation to fix his mess. Even the Supertock kit he send me was incomplete missing 4 steel plates. I'm just been honest with my review I had a bad experience thats all.

TWO FAST FOR YOU!
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 06-28-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Hello Chris, I had a discussion with Tony this morning and I don't think he want to keep relationship because he told me to never contact them again.

About the Dodson clutch pack he send me the superstock instead of the sportsman it was his mistake so he had the obligation to fix his mess. Even the Supertock kit he send me was incomplete missing 4 steel plates. I'm just been honest with my review I had a bad experience thats all.
hey nothing wrong with being honest i mean thats what forums are for. sorry for all the headaches you've had hopefully its smooth froj here on out PURE FTW

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#11)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Wow sorry about those clutch plates bro, I know how much they costed. Guess this is why Vargas has such a crappy rating on google and a bunch of bad reviews. Hope you can resolve everything maybe try talking to dodson and see if they can help.

Team pure is the way to go.

(#12)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-28-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Sami,

Sorry for your troubles,

Chris
Hey Chris,
Why do you guys choose not to VSR balance the turbos? I mean it should be a logical idea seeing how fast these things spin up to and its better to avoid all the harmonic imbalances and vibrations that could shake the turbo apart.

Just curious to know your insight upon that decision
~lowon

(#13)
Old
VTT ***** *****

Default 06-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:

The wrong clutch plates were sent to Tony -that was not his mixup, but he did take responsibility and correct it for you.

Regardless, we did absolutely try to rectify the situation. I understand that you chose to go through a competitor instead. There isn't much I can do from that point on.

In the end I am glad that you have functioning turbos and are back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
Hey Chris,
Why do you guys choose not to VSR balance the turbos? I mean it should be a logical idea seeing how fast these things spin up to and its better to avoid all the harmonic imbalances and vibrations that could shake the turbo apart.

Just curious to know your insight upon that decision
~lowon
We do VSR balance our turbos. Any statement to the contrary is incorrect.

Thanks,
Chris

www.Vargasturbo.com
(#14)
Old

Car: 2012 335is
Default 06-28-2016, 03:24 PM

Some people know what they're doing, some don't. Even within the same organization...just the luck of the draw.
(#15)
Old
Demigod

Default 06-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The wrong clutch plates were sent to Tony -that was not his mixup, but he did take responsibility and correct it for you.

Regardless, we did absolutely try to rectify the situation. I understand that you chose to go through a competitor instead. There isn't much I can do from that point on.

In the end I am glad that you have functioning turbos and are back up.

We do VSR balance our turbos. Any statement to the contrary is incorrect.

Thanks,
Chris
Thanks for the reply Chris,
I know this may be a really "touchy" "feely" question but why do your turbos have a reputation for such a high failure rate when compared to the competition? I mean since you guys do vsr balance them, and in house cnc them instead of buying foreign made components it seems like there shouldnt be this high of a failure rate if you guys took the time to have good quality control.
~lowon

(#16)
Old

Default 06-28-2016, 04:54 PM

This takes me back to 2008, same issues with Comp Turbo on my 335. But they never blamed the failure on FOD coming into the turbo before seeing the turbos first. Vargas should really re-think their business strategy considering that there is nothing worse than spending a bunch of money on your car to have it fail, and then have some douche on the line blame you before saying, "I am sorry for the inconvenience, please send them in and we will go from there," and offering to pay the labor costs to remove the turbos if it is determined that it was a failure on their end. Every move you make in the business world these days is on a forum or some form of social media. Not only was there a mistake here, but blaming the issue on the customer before actually holding the product in your hands is vile to say the least.

Singapore Grey M6 GC
(#17)
Old
VTT ***** *****

Default 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM

The failure rates are actually pretty low, but you hear about them often -not many people talk about the good experiences day in and day out. I presume it's the same for the other guys too. I've also noticed that many of the people talking about the failure rates have no first hand experience with the product. I can't help that part.

Turbos are a giant pain to get right on the N54 platform especially. Not much room, lots of heat, big power being made with very high shaft speeds. Then you're on your own hoping the customer and/or shop installs them correctly, the oil lines are clear and working, everything is up to spec.

We've shipped over 60 sets of stage 2+ and no issues reported yet. Mine are just shy of 30k miles and anyone who knows me knows how I drive. Not gently.

So we're getting at the actuality of failures versus the perception of failures. The perception is far worse than the actuality. Honestly, to me, that's irrelevant. I focus on what did happen, why, and how it could have been avoided. We can then incorporate those lessons learned as we move forward -same as everyone else, you learn more as you go on.

Again, in this case we would have liked the opportunity to make things right, but unfortunately I do understand why Sami chose to go another route.

Chris

P.S. A little off topic but I see you have had some Subaru history -that's my history too. Tons of failures there, especially the VF40 types, which often take the motor with them when they go (so much bad news!!!!) The 800 whp STi must have been nuts.

www.Vargasturbo.com