N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1826)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-28-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattds
Hey Terry, I've attached a log of mine. Pls let me where where the speed is.

Thanks!
I don't see it there, try updating your interface first. The IOS updates always lag behind Android due to their slow approval process. If you have the latest update contact Donnie at JB4 Mobile directly for further assistance on that.

Also can't hurt to update the JB4 firmware.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1827)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t Luxe AWD
Default 12-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8
I just went with regular shipping. Thank you so much!

Wow! I’m very impressed with the shipping!
I just got the JB4 package this AM at 8:30.
I live in WI.
I’m sure the USPS semi truck probably has JB4 installed too! LOL!

Thank you very much Terry!

I’ll install this on Saturday. Freakin’ WI weather barely hit teens this week. Garage has insulation doors, but not heated.

Last edited by Awgd8; 12-28-2017 at 10:14 AM..
(#1828)
Old

Car: q60
Default 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM

Hey Terry, I'm using Android. Is the firmware the same as the interface? I haven't updated anything yet but I'll do the firmware later todayl
(#1829)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-28-2017, 11:55 AM

The JB4 Mobile software is the interface. The firmware is what loads on to the JB4.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1830)
Old

Car: 2016 F25 X4 M40i (N55)
Default 12-28-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti Addict
You can see my previous post for my drag strip times. I have also done some time comparisons on the street in my Q50 RS400 AWD using a GTECH Pro 20th anniversary edition performance meter.

0-60 1/4

4.43 12.82@110.9 stock
4.25 12.66@111.9 with catalyst back exhaust only
3.91 12.29@114.9 with stock exhaust and only mod being JB1 at +4.6

All runs with 93 octane and with no launch on the street, just stomping on the gas. Jb1 with data cable is by far the best bang for the buck on these cars. Buy it, use it, resell it whenever you are done with it, take it off in 2 minutes before you go to the dealer for service. Great product!
Lets see who else can back these numbers on Dragy
Hint hint Terry :-p

F90 M5 Comp - @BM3Tuning 100-200 5.29s / 60-130 6.1s | @HCP.US
F97 X3M Comp - Tuning Soon!

F80 ZCP DCT Tune Only | @BM3Tuning Stg1+ E85 60-130mph 6.7s
(#1831)
Old

Default 12-28-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frikiton
Lets see who else can back these numbers on Dragy
Hint hint Terry :-p
Technically, an SS at 15 PSI of boost total on 93 octane should be fine.
Thatís basically +7 PSI above the stock of 8 PSI. The SS does reach 10 PSI of boost stock, but in a very short amount of time. If you blink you wonít see it.
Seb@specialtyZ showed that graph to me when I was inquiring about the Ecutek flash. He said 15-17 is safe. I guess anything higher than 15 PSI needs E30 mixture with 93 octane.

If a stock RS boost (14.5psi) can go up to +3 thatís around 17.5 psi.
Thatís with 2 water pumps and speed sensor, an SS should be ok with
15 PSI (+7 from stock) on 93.

You have to remember when driving casually , if you have an OBD2 wifi or bt sensor that connects to your phone, youíll see the boost pressure almost on the negative value. Basically, your not really straining the engine and turbo at all,
In your daily driving, how often do you floor the gas pedal? If you find yourself doing half throttle most of the times, youríre not really straining the engine or turbo since your are not fully boosting at +7(15 PSI total).

I know that we want a stronger car just in case we need to pass someone or a friendly quick burst with another car. In reality, most of us wonít even floor the car daily. This is just our bragging right. (Iím guilty of that too) LOL!

Unless , If you track your car every weekend (auto cross or drag strip)
then you really have to pay attention with precised tweaking.
Iím just curious how many of us here do this?

For DD, I would be ok with +7 (15psi total for the SS). It might hit 17psi in a blink of an eye. (since Seb showed me a 10psi max on the stock SS in a very short spike)
(#1832)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T AWD
Default 12-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Technically, an SS at 15 PSI of boost total on 93 octane should be fine.
Thatís basically +7 PSI above the stock of 8 PSI. The SS does reach 10 PSI of boost stock, but in a very short amount of time. If you blink you wonít see it.
Seb@specialtyZ showed that graph to me when I was inquiring about the Ecutek flash. He said 15-17 is safe. I guess anything higher than 15 PSI needs E30 mixture with 93 octane.

If a stock RS boost (14.5psi) can go up to +3 thatís around 17.5 psi.
Thatís with 2 water pumps and speed sensor, an SS should be ok with
15 PSI (+7 from stock) on 93.

You have to remember when driving casually , if you have an OBD2 wifi or bt sensor that connects to your phone, youíll see the boost pressure almost on the negative value. Basically, your not really straining the engine and turbo at all,
In your daily driving, how often do you floor the gas pedal? If you find yourself doing half throttle most of the times, youríre not really straining the engine or turbo since your are not fully boosting at +7(15 PSI total).

I know that we want a stronger car just in case we need to pass someone or a friendly quick burst with another car. In reality, most of us wonít even floor the car daily. This is just our bragging right. (Iím guilty of that too) LOL!

Unless , If you track your car every weekend (auto cross or drag strip)
then you really have to pay attention with precised tweaking.
Iím just curious how many of us here do this?

For DD, I would be ok with +7 (15psi total for the SS). It might hit 17psi in a blink of an eye. (since Seb showed me a 10psi max on the stock SS in a very short spike)
Why does the ECU call for more boost when up shifting? Look at the attached log for map 2. ECU is calling for 11 psi at one point creating a 17 psi spike. So if I was running +7 would this be closer to 20? Is that OK?

Last edited by Cdubber9; 11-15-2018 at 06:59 PM..
(#1833)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-28-2017, 03:41 PM

Boost can spike during a shift as the WG opens and turbine slows down to accomidate the lower CFM requirement of the engine due to the sudden change in engine speed. Timing and AFR are mapped on the actual boost reading and you'll notice timing is also negative there. The more abrupt the shift the more of a spike you'd expect to see. If the spike is outside the expected range the ECU closes throttle to protect the engine. All in all everything is working as it should be in this log. Spike is minimal so throttle is fully open.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1834)
Old

Car: 2018 q50 red sport
Default 12-29-2017, 01:21 AM

terry with the jb4 can u adjust any other aspects of the car such as, will it increase the response of the paddle shifters ? or is that just due to the tranny? also is there a way to disengage the automatic up shifting in manual mode ?
(#1835)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Hey Terry, sorry to keep bugging you about this - can you let me know if this logs shows speed?

I've updated the firmware to 1.5 (i skipped 1.4 because i presumed that was the right thing to do)

and the android app says it up to date.

Thanks!
matt.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-12-29 08_56_05Map_6.csv (11.7 KB, 65 views)
(#1836)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-29-2017, 10:34 AM

No I don't see it yet, contact the JB4 Mobile guys, you probably need the BETA app or some update on that end.

Burger Motorsports

(#1837)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 11:31 AM

Ok - no problem, can you pass along some contact info. on the main web site there is nothing specific regarding mobile/app support.
(#1838)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-29-2017, 11:45 AM

orders@jb4connectkit.com

Burger Motorsports

(#1839)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 Luxe and I was attempting to install the JB4 OBD2 wire , but I am having issue with the grommet.
Do you have to go around the grommet or you have to push it out from the driver side cabin? So no poking of rubbers right? I don’t think poking in the rubber blindly is safe.

I accidentally poke the side of the grommet and I see some wires in there a bit further in.
I did not hit anything, but this is very risky. I dont want to accidentally cut wires using a long flat head driver.

Also the rubber grommet is located where the water is draining from the windshield. It is really a risk you have to take since the moisture and water can get in there.

My question is, do I push the grommet from driver side just enough to get a space from there? I’m really lost.

It will be nice if the OBD2 wires is longer and can be rerouted in the passenger side cabin filter which has access behind the glove compartment.

Right now , I’ll wait for anyone here to chime in. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Awgd8; 12-29-2017 at 06:16 PM..
(#1840)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Poke entire grommet out, thin OBDII wire easily runs through, push entire grommet back in over OBDII wire lining up dots so it goes back in fully to seal..

Burger Motorsports

(#1841)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Poke entire grommet out, thin OBDII wire easily runs through, push entire grommet back in over OBDII wire lining up dots so it goes back in fully to seal..
I finally got it ! Thanks!

So basically, you don’t have to see where you are poking. (From underneath the driver side fuse kick panel)
I just went around 2 O’clock on the grommet side and just use my pointy and middle finger. (And shouted, screw this! ) I had more leverage positioning my body perpendicular to the car and looking through the driver side door.
(#1842)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 12-29-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I finally got it ! Thanks!

So basically, you donít have to see where you are poking. (From underneath the driver side fuse kick panel)
I just went around 2 Oíclock on the grommet side and just use my pointy and middle finger. (And shouted, screw this! ) I had more leverage positioning my body perpendicular to the car and looking through the driver side door.
Congrats - I was going to suggest post #804 as a starting point.
(#1843)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Ok. Does the OBD2 connector you supplied that goes under the dash OBD2 port has lock?
I could not remove it easily. I know it only goes one way, but I could not remove it by hand. It’s tight and I have to scratch the plastic tab with screw driver. It’s a PITA....I might have to use wa watch screw driver. Those tiny ones....

Ok. That black piece , that is part of the OBD2 wire that goes to the OBD2 port, is very tight. I had to break that piece that lines up with the car’s OBD2 port white plug. I tried to push the white tab on the OBD2 car port so the black tab on your supplied connector could slide out, but It’s to flexible and you’ll end up scratching the car’s OBD2 port.

I breaked the black tab on your OBD2 supplied wire and problem solved! I know that black part holds the wire in placed on the OBD2 port, but even without it is tight enough. Tape can fix it if it gets loose, but the black tab had to go..

Last edited by Awgd8; 12-29-2017 at 04:46 PM..
(#1844)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Done!

Last edited by Awgd8; 12-29-2017 at 06:13 PM..
(#1845)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Done! Will try map 2 for now.
We have all learned that fuel quality and octane have a significant impact with these engines. Logging runs and sending them to Terry for review will help you get more comfortable with your JB4. For reference, good Top Tier (Valero / Exxon have been good for me in NTX) 93 octane fuel on my SS will allow me to run Map 5. If I run a E30 fuel blend (1:4 ratio of E85 and 93) I can run Map 7 for a few runs before the ECU starts to pull timing due to heat soak.
(#1846)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-29-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Ok. Does the OBD2 connector you supplied that goes under the dash OBD2 port has lock?
I could not remove it easily. I know it only goes one way, but I could not remove it by hand. Itís tight and I have to scratch the plastic tab with screw driver. Itís a PITA....I might have to use wa watch screw driver. Those tiny ones....

Ok. That black piece , that is part of the OBD2 wire that goes to the OBD2 port, is very tight. I had to break that piece that lines up with the carís OBD2 port white plug. I tried to push the white tab on the OBD2 car port so the black tab on your supplied connector could slide out, but Itís to flexible and youíll end up scratching the carís OBD2 port.

I breaked the black tab on your OBD2 supplied wire and problem solved! I know that black part holds the wire in placed on the OBD2 port, but even without it is tight enough. Tape can fix it if it gets loose, but the black tab had to go..
It just pushes in. Should be snug, but comes out by hand by rocking it back and forth.

Burger Motorsports

(#1847)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobohm
We have all learned that fuel quality and octane have a significant impact with these engines. Logging runs and sending them to Terry for review will help you get more comfortable with your JB4. For reference, good Top Tier (Valero / Exxon have been good for me in NTX) 93 octane fuel on my SS will allow me to run Map 5. If I run a E30 fuel blend (1:4 ratio of E85 and 93) I can run Map 7 for a few runs before the ECU starts to pull timing due to heat soak.
Thanks for the tip! I have Shell , Mobile , BP for 93 octane. I normally use V-power Nitro from Shell for my NA engines, but I heard itís not the best for turbo. Should I stick with Mobile?

For E85 , thereís Meijer and Quicktrip. I have no idea which one is better.
Iíll stick with 20% E85 since Mobile 93 already has 9% Ethanol mixed if Iím not mistaken?

Iíll try Map 1 for no . (4psi)
(#1848)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It just pushes in. Should be snug, but comes out by hand by rocking it back and forth.
I had to break the tab. Itís fine now.
Hands are getting numb ( 45-50F in the garage . LOL!)
I donít want to wiggle anything , I got to save heat!
(#1849)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I have Shell , Mobile , BP for 93 octane. I normally use V-power Nitro from Shell for my NA engines, but I heard it’s not the best for turbo. Should I stick with Mobile?

For E85 , there’s Meijer and Quicktrip. I have no idea which one is better.
I’ll stick with 20% E85 since Mobile 93 already has 9% Ethanol mixed if I’m not mistaken?

I’ll try Map 1 for no . (4psi)
I have not had good luck with Shell fuel - QT is a Top Tier fuel and I have on occasion used it. Exxon/Mobil and Valero fuels have been aces for me in NTX & Valero has E85 at the same pump as the 93 - bonus me!

Depending on how your engine logs and how much you want to push things - I found logging a couple of runs (remember the engine has to be warmed up before the JB4 will engage (+160 if recall correctly)) for a particular Map is best. Feel free to post here the logs for peer review. You will know you have pushed the boost too much if you feel the car not pulling smoothly but the logs will be your ultimate litmus.

Last edited by jrobohm; 12-29-2017 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Typo
(#1850)
Old

Default 12-29-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobohm
I have not had good luck with Shell fuel - QT is a Top Tier fuel and I have on occasion used it. Exxon/Mobil and Valero fuels have been aces for me in NTX & Valero has E85 at the same pump as the 93 - bonus me!

Depending on how your engine logs and how much you want to push things - I found logging a couple of runs (remember the engine has to be warmed up before the JB4 will engage (+160 if recall correctly)) for a particular Map is best. Feel free to post here the logs for peer review. You will know you have pushed the boost too much if you feel the car not pulling smoothly but the logs will be your ultimate litmus.
Iíll try Mobil next time. I just finished testing Map 1 on D (no manual) a bit of snow here. This is really quicker than my Ecutek Tuned Q40 awd and thatís only what? Map 1 which is +4 PSI? I wasnít even flooring it . I would say half....
I also have 2 passengers who would like to feel it. (Wife and son)

The boost PSI on the graph looks good. I hit around 11 or 12 PSI total without flooring it. AFR is good! Iíll still need a better log (WOT) and If I have question, Iíll definitely email Terry. I have to get used to different shades of the graph color lines like pink and lighter pink etc. (which is which?)

I used Uprev (tuner version) and Ecutek before and was able to read log.
The JB4 logging graph is pretty neat. I could read most , it just that it has different orientation of parameters in the graph that Iím not famiiar with.
Iíve got to check Terryís logging thread for now.

Again, coming from an Ecutek tuned Q40 AWD. JBL4 map 1 is already quicker from dead stop up to the end of midrange. I didnít try the top end yet.
I think it makes sense that the highest PSI settings was setup between 3k-5k RPM. - Very smart turbo design for DD power. ( Powerful in the street where the limit is from 0-55 MPH.)