N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 335i E93
Default Hexon stock-location inlets installed - 02-04-2016, 11:28 PM

Just wanted to share my installation of Hexon's new aluminum inlets. Actually, I should say inlet (singular) because I replaced only my front inlet. I still have a full silicone inlet in the rear. The reason I didn't change the rear is because it's a very difficult and expensive job. I'll probably change it out to Hexons when I get his RR600's in a few months.

I installed front+back silicone inlets a few weeks ago. My Indy and I didn't notice until 2 wks after that the front inlet is too thick and was rubbing against one of the pulleys. I urgently got Wayne at Hexon to send his front inlet this Monday. I received the ***** on Tuesday, and got my Indy to do the work on Wednesday. This is my daily driver and only car, so it was quite urgent.

The video shows the silicone pipe rubbing against a pulley . The pipe is already pushing up against the fan shroud, so there's nowhere to go but into the pulleys.

Hexon's front pipe has a built-in bracket, allowing it to be secured to prevent movement and potentially crashing into the pulleys.

The second video shows the Hexon front pipe with the engine running. The pipe clears all moving parts.

So now I have Hexon's aluminum inlet in the front and a full silicone inlet in the rear. So far, I've noticed no difference using my butt dyno, nor in 5 WOT logs with Ken/Wedge's 21psi tune.

Overall, the installation time was only around 3hrs. He says that it was "really easy". I wasn't there during the work, but he told me that he removed/reinstalled only the following parts: water expansion tank, fan, vacuum canisters, intercooler pipe.

If you have stock location silicone inlets, please check this spot.
Attached Images

(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 02-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Wha type of inlets were the silicone ones ? Rb ? Vtt ??
I have a set of end to install now I'm worried about that touching.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sedan
Default 02-05-2016, 06:44 AM

i think i need to make a set of inlet for these things.

"Increasing the Area Under The Curve"
Custom Performance ECU Calibration
www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com
(#4)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM

Copy my response from another forum over here too:

This is an RB inlet. We've sold about 200 sets, received 1 complaint thus far (op emailed a few days ago) and here it is.

OP do you have an aftermarket radiator or fan? If so this could explain why the inlet is too fat (as there could be about an inch less room). But at the same time we've had a few say they fit even well even with those equipped?...

Our inlets typically get much praise for the clearance around the pulleys, techs usually compliment/etc., so something is certainly awry.

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2007 335xi 6MT Sedan
Default 02-05-2016, 07:08 AM

Confirmed its an aftermarket rad?

"Increasing the Area Under The Curve"
Custom Performance ECU Calibration
www.twistedtuning.com
twistedtuned@gmail.com
(#6)
Old

Default 02-05-2016, 08:14 AM

I have a CSF 6AT radiator, but my fan and shroud should be original.
Perhaps the silicone somehow got warped by my indy during installation?

About 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance with the Hexon. The security brace keeps this from moving.
Wayne tells me that his front inlet isn't supposed to be able to fit with an aftermarket radiator.
Attached Images

(#7)
Old
Stalker

Default 02-05-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitdown
I have a CSF 6AT radiator, but my fan and shroud should be original.
Perhaps the silicone somehow got warped by my indy during installation?

About 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance with the Hexon. The security brace keeps this from moving.
Wayne tells me that his front inlet isn't supposed to be able to fit with an aftermarket radiator.
Well that could explain it. That radiator is much thicker than the OEM, thus removing nearly every bit of real estate that wasn't there to begin with. So basically the problem lies with the radiator, but glad you found a solution nonetheless. We'd probably steer big radiator guys to our new upcoming full silicone passenger side Evo style inlets that are forthcoming.

It is a little odd still as several others with aftermarket thick radiators have affirmed fitment, but as noted regularly on the forums many have varying definitions of what fits and what doesn't. Our standards are higher than most, and I can say with certainly I'd never installed that front inlet in that area per those pics. It will be interesting if any others surface but due to this thread I'll be sure to make a note on our website indicating potential fitment issues of the front inlet for those with thicker aftermarket radiators and to check out our new passenger side Evo style inlets if you are aftermarket radiator equipped.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#8)
Old

Default 02-05-2016, 08:29 AM

Thanks for your replies Rob.
I had completely forgotten that I have a CSF radiator.

Last edited by limitdown; 02-05-2016 at 08:35 AM..
(#9)
Old

Car: 335i CDV
Default 02-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Sounds promising. However, their shipping cost is a bit much. Can I still use BMS DCI for this inlets? Thanks.

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
Fuel-it! Stage 2 standard,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#10)
Old

Default 02-05-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najin23
Sounds promising. However, their shipping cost is a bit much. Can I still use BMS DCI for this inlets? Thanks.
I currently have BMS DCI's. I just needed to add a small section of silicone coupling. I'll be getting a sealed airbox CAI soon.
Attached Images

(#11)
Old

Default 02-05-2016, 09:01 AM

thanks for the reply. Did you really have to pay that much for the shipping?

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#12)
Old

Default 02-05-2016, 09:25 AM

I paid $50 for DHL Express because I urgently needed the *****. Maybe you can email Wayne to see if he can use a cheaper shipping method.
(#13)
Old

Default 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM

btw, how hard was it for the rear?

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#14)
Old

Default 02-05-2016, 07:28 PM

Rear inlets are all very difficult to install. It took my Indy over 2 days to do it. You can check threads on how others have done it.
Inlets really make a huge difference. With RB inlets, Ken/Wedge was able to turn boost up to 21psi for me. I'm only FBO with stock exhaust.
Inlets are probably the biggest bang for buck upgrade I've done so far.
(#15)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 02-08-2016, 02:51 PM

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Got the rear inlet pushed through in probably 30 minutes or so. Just wiped it down good with silicone spray and worked it alternating from above the car and underneath. It took me longer to get the inlet on the turbo then getting it down in place.

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#16)
Old

Car: 335is DCT
Default 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
It will be interesting if any others surface but due to this thread I'll be sure to make a note on our website indicating potential fitment issues of the front inlet for those with thicker aftermarket radiators and to check out our new passenger side Evo style inlets if you are aftermarket radiator equipped.

Rob
Just an FYI I found the same issue on the silicone inlets I have although I don't have your inlets, sorry I needed the 2.0" for my Z4. Seems after a period of time due to the engine bay heat the front inlet dropped down. When they were first installed they were far away from the pulleys more against the fan frame.

Seems the only way to keep it from dropping down is to use a hose clap and bolt it to the fan frame

2012 E89 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport MT
2011 E92 335is w/DCT
2007 E92 335i 6AT

Last edited by BuraQ; 02-08-2016 at 04:10 PM..
(#17)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 02-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
our new passenger side Evo style inlets if you are aftermarket radiator equipped.

Rob
Any more info? So just like the precision raceworks works inlets but not $500? Still dual cone? Estimated release date?

E92 ACF 6466 + AM Meth / E70 #1 / E70 #2 JBD

Got Boost?
(#18)
Old
Stalker

Default 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus
Any more info? So just like the precision raceworks works inlets but not $500? Still dual cone? Estimated release date?
See attached picture of the Evo style inlets. They will be available in 1.75" or 2" turbo ends. It is single filter with custom (removable) top shield. 1 and 3 series LHD fitment confirmed. Unsure about 5 series, or RHD, it could be close.

I am sure they will be somewhere around $500, maybe more, as they come with a lot more bit parts that cost us $$ to produce (or purchase) over our driver side inlets. Details of what (or what will not) be included over the fundamentals is sketchy. We may include less to keep costs lower. Not sure yet, there is time to ponder. But in short there is not going to be any cost savings over our driver side inlets, it's just another option. Expect availability around early March.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 02-09-2016 at 12:58 PM..
(#19)
Old

Car: E93 335
Default 03-06-2016, 08:43 PM

How are the hexon inlets holding up?

2009 335i E93 6MT ///M-Sport
MHD Stage 1 | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | 335is Clutch | KW V3
(#20)
Old

Default 03-07-2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii
How are the hexon inlets holding up?
Hexon's front inlet is holding up very well for me. The bracket on the front inlet makes a world of a difference. My indy bolted it to secure it from moving. It is still very tight and I probably have less than 3/4 inch of clearance.
Note that Wayne at Hexon does not claim that it fits with a thick radiator. He was surprised when I showed him my pics of clearance.
Attached Images

(#21)
Old

Car: E93 335
Default 03-07-2016, 10:09 AM

Thanks!
How/where did you mount the pcv heater? There was some discussion about it on facebook and its way over my head.

2009 335i E93 6MT ///M-Sport
MHD Stage 1 | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | 335is Clutch | KW V3
(#22)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 03-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the write up. I have a set of these coming and am looking forward to getting them on and having Ken change my tune for higher boost.

(#23)
Old

Car: 08' 335xi 6MT
Default 03-08-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
See attached picture of the Evo style inlets. They will be available in 1.75" or 2" turbo ends. It is single filter with custom (removable) top shield. 1 and 3 series LHD fitment confirmed. Unsure about 5 series, or RHD, it could be close.

I am sure they will be somewhere around $500, maybe more, as they come with a lot more bit parts that cost us $$ to produce (or purchase) over our driver side inlets. Details of what (or what will not) be included over the fundamentals is sketchy. We may include less to keep costs lower. Not sure yet, there is time to ponder. But in short there is not going to be any cost savings over our driver side inlets, it's just another option. Expect availability around early March.

Thanks,
Rob
Looks like Precision Raceworks but just with a single filter. Looks nice tho
(#24)
Old

Car: 335i E91
Default 03-09-2016, 10:09 AM

I had the same problem with my RB inlets. Had to zip tie the front inlet to the fan shroud after noticing that it rubbed against the pulley. Just ordered new Pure Stg 2 turbos and will change to a different brand of inlets. Good that you shared OP
(#25)
Old

Car: E60 535i Sport 6mt
Default 06-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olabje
I had the same problem with my RB inlets. Had to zip tie the front inlet to the fan shroud after noticing that it rubbed against the pulley. Just ordered new Pure Stg 2 turbos and will change to a different brand of inlets. Good that you shared OP
I had perfect fitment on my 535i with RB inlets, then I installed PURE Stage 2 with 2" snouts and went with VTT inlets. The front inlet was very close to a pulley on the driver side, so I used a zip tie to hold it against the fan shroud.

I just looked and saw that zip tie, being an old brittle one I had, was gone and the inlet was against the pulley. I may try a hose clamp now.

I am also going to extend the front cone filter out of the front inlet further, as the way it is now the cone is pulling the inlet rearward. If I have the pipe out more, it may actually push the inlet forward away from the pulley.

Rob@RB, I would like to try some passenger side inlets on my 535i. I'd be willing to relocate my vacuum canisters and coolant reservoir, but I have the Direct Drive unit in the way. If your turbo side inlet kit put the filters more to the rear and toward the the middle of the motor, it seems like it would be likely to fit.

2009 535i 6mt, PURE Stage 2, PSP 900IC, Fuel-It PI, PR N55 location ignition coils, VTT inlets, VRSF things, Injen Intake, RPi exhaust, Walbro 525, EOS BPM4.