N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 E91 335i N54
Default Torque scaling on JB4 + MHD BEF + xHP TCU Flash - 04-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Hey guys!

So I've been driving around my E91 335i for a while now using JB4 (Map 5) and a MHD Back-end flash (Race flash).

Now I'm about to install the xHP Stage 3 flash for the ZF 6HP transmission (Currently running Alpina Flash).

Now I believe that the MHD BEF/JB4 scale torque values sent to CAN/TCU in order to keep the TCU from freaking out about the massive torque.

The new xHP, though, allowes for up to 1000nm torque. In order to have the transmission use the correct pressure, I'd like to make sure the actual torque figure sent to CAN/TCU is not scaled down.

Now I know that the MHD flash allows for an MT-setting, which disables torque scaling. But this option is not available when flashing a JB4 BEF. And I really really like my JB4/Map5 set-up.

Now for my question: How can I get correct TQ figures sent to CAN/TCU while retaining the use of my JB4/Map5?

I know I could install a full MHD flash and run the JB4 in 4/4-mode. But what will happen to my power output when I change to this config?

Cheers!
Richard

2010 E91 335i - Le Mans blue
Intercooler upgrade, exhaust upgrade, chargepipe upgrade, Stage 1 LPFP, N20 TMAP.
JB4 Map 7 - MHD Back-end Flash RACE.

About as fast as you can go without having to eat airlinerfood.
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-07-2017, 08:35 AM

With the BEF we scale torque HIGHER than actual, have since we released it, to ensure the trans line pressure is maxing out. If you want to scale torque back to actual you'd need to lower the torque-eff divisor factor in the BEF and monitor the calculated torque JB4 output parameter in logs. Those expecting new trans software to improve holding capacity, IMHO, are going to be disappointed. But if it can change the shift points and stuff that will be well worth it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM

Thanks for your quick reply and for clearing that up, Terry.

Well, the car does feel more natural now in how it changes gear with the new transmission software.

One reason besides the torque subject for me to try the new TCU flash was because at nearly 0 throttle the car seemed to judder a bit. I would compare it to how it feels to drive around with a broken torque converter which would constantly (dis)engage the locked state. It did this when Just JB4 was installed (map1). It stopped doing it when the race BEF was installed, and started doing it again when I switched to map2 with BEF.

If anything, the new software made this behaviour more prominent. So I'll have to look elsewhere for the cause.

Intercooler upgrade, exhaust upgrade, chargepipe upgrade, Stage 1 LPFP, N20 TMAP.

(#4)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 04-09-2017, 04:51 PM

It's a whole new car with the transmission flash. So much quicker and smooth. Before, the car would surge with power and then make a shift. The pedal is truly linear now and shifts where you think. You can even forget it in sport mode because it will just cruise along, then snaps to attention if you put your foot down.

Anyone on the fence, just do it.
(#5)
Old

Default 04-10-2017, 03:52 AM

Well, I have just reinstalled the Alpina flash.. The car really shifted rough and this did not disappear over time. Also the temperatures in the trans went up to over 100 degrees C. I'm sure this has something to do with the combination of JB4/MHD BEF/xHP Stage 3.

Other than the above: the actual shift POINTS (in revs) of the stage 3 map are awesome.

(#6)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 04-10-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHoman
Well, I have just reinstalled the Alpina flash.. The car really shifted rough and this did not disappear over time. Also the temperatures in the trans went up to over 100 degrees C. I'm sure this has something to do with the combination of JB4/MHD BEF/xHP Stage 3.

Other than the above: the actual shift POINTS (in revs) of the stage 3 map are awesome.
Same setup here. I would try reinstalling, sounds like something went wrong. My shifts are so much quicker but there is a smoothness that was never there before. For the first time ever, it drives like stock but with lots of power. I flashed stock, flashed TCU, flashed MHD.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 N55 335i Coupe M-Sport
Default 04-24-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHoman
Hey guys!

So I've been driving around my E91 335i for a while now using JB4 (Map 5) and a MHD Back-end flash (Race flash).

Now I'm about to install the xHP Stage 3 flash for the ZF 6HP transmission (Currently running Alpina Flash).

Now I believe that the MHD BEF/JB4 scale torque values sent to CAN/TCU in order to keep the TCU from freaking out about the massive torque.

The new xHP, though, allowes for up to 1000nm torque. In order to have the transmission use the correct pressure, I'd like to make sure the actual torque figure sent to CAN/TCU is not scaled down.

Now I know that the MHD flash allows for an MT-setting, which disables torque scaling. But this option is not available when flashing a JB4 BEF. And I really really like my JB4/Map5 set-up.

Now for my question: How can I get correct TQ figures sent to CAN/TCU while retaining the use of my JB4/Map5?

I know I could install a full MHD flash and run the JB4 in 4/4-mode. But what will happen to my power output when I change to this config?

Cheers!
Richard
I have this same issue. Cannot flash MT with MHD BEF. I'm going to remove xHP tomorrow and leave Alpina. I really like xHP flash, but seems to be running different and less power (since I can only flash MHD BEF with no AT or MT option.)
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-24-2017, 01:10 PM

Not quite following what the issue is. You want to scale down calculated torque on the BEF? Then put the torque eff divisor table to stock.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 N55 335i Coupe M-Sport
Default 09-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Just wanted to report I am using "2/23/17 JB4 MHD N55 Map Release" and flashed xHP v1.4 (single turbo map) and no longer hitting the torque limit! it goes up to ~182 load as it did with Alpina (v1.3 xHP would only hit ~174 load). I haven't tested the latest JB4 MHD BEF release, but will and will report back.

Procedure:
I flash "JB4 MHD BEF" then "xHP v 1.4"

Note: There is an issue with xHP v1.4 where it could go into limp mode, so it's advised to upgrade to xHP v1.5 (I have not tested v1.5 yet).

(#10)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 09-28-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd306
Just wanted to report I am using "2/23/17 JB4 MHD N55 Map Release" and flashed xHP v1.4 (single turbo map) and no longer hitting the torque limit! it goes up to ~182 load as it did with Alpina (v1.3 xHP would only hit ~174 load). I haven't tested the latest JB4 MHD BEF release, but will and will report back.

Procedure:
I flash "JB4 MHD BEF" then "xHP v 1.4"

Note: There is an issue with xHP v1.4 where it could go into limp mode, so it's advised to upgrade to xHP v1.5 (I have not tested v1.5 yet).

From my understanding, the problem has been fixed in v1.4 but since v1.5 is out, might as well load the latest version.

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS