N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#76)
Old
Demigod

Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 05-23-2016, 09:35 AM

Hi,
I've got 3 questions.
  1. What do you do about each gear being different?
  2. How much overboost is allowed before a code is thrown?
  3. If I see my FF line going flat, does that indicate it's maxed out? Should I raise duty bias in that area to give FF some more headroom?

If you tune in 3rd gear but 4 and 5 are acting differently then what do you do? Find a happy medium?

If I tweak for 3rd gear but this causes an overboost in 4th or 5th, how much is allowed before a code is thrown and map4 change occurs.

Thanks

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
(#77)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-23-2016, 09:48 AM

Focus on tuning higher gears. Once dutybias is dialed in the PID system itself will handle any adjustments in lower gears, transitions, etc. It's a dynamic system. The dutybias tuning is simply to get the "fixed" part of the curve close reducing the amount of work the PID has to do for targeting.

FF has an upper ceiling of 180-200 depending on the firmware version. So no need to tune it above that point.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#78)
Old
Demigod

Default 05-23-2016, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the advice Terry.

UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

(#79)
Old

Car: 335i f30
Default 07-12-2016, 10:14 PM

I already read it about 5 times..

i Dind't understand only think.

after I selected the dutybias curve with FUD 99 i have to set this =>>

FUD = 0
FF = 70
And the duty bias? I leave as I set or I have to return the entire table for 50?

because if I change the value the JB4 will not miss the reference?

car = 335i f30 2014
(#80)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-13-2016, 02:25 AM

As I understand it

Lock down the autolearn.
Start with duty bias at 50

FF should follow PWM quite closely, when not in the spool up mode.

If FF is below PWM then raise it
If FF is above PWM then lower it

FF raises or lowers the whole FF line across all engine speeds.

If a particular engine speed is consistently above or below PWM then use duty bias (in increments/decrements of 5) to adapt it. i.e. often for me 5000 rpm and above are too low as the little turbos have to work harder.

You can then re-enable the adaptation/autolearn function

(#81)
Old

Car: m235i
Default 07-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
As I understand it

Lock down the autolearn.

If a particular engine speed is consistently above or below PWM then use duty bias (in increments/decrements of 5) to adapt it. i.e. often for me 5000 rpm and above are too low as the little turbos have to work harder.

Anyone know if the same applies with the current N55 F-series firmware?

FUD = 99 has the same effect?
(#82)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 N55 335i Coupe M-Sport
Default 07-20-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
As I understand it

Lock down the autolearn.

This sounds right to me, thanks! Very clear.
(#83)
Old

Car: 135i N54
Default 07-25-2016, 09:23 AM

Terry, once you are finished adjusting your DB, and it's time to unlock FF, do you just leave FF at the same value it was before you locked it? Or do you set it to 70 / default and let it do its thing from there?
(#84)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-25-2016, 12:39 PM

FF should be unlocked to adapt as needed between maps and changing conditions.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#85)
Old

Car: 135i N54
Default 07-25-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
FF should be unlocked to adapt as needed between maps and changing conditions.
I get that, but when unlocking should it be reset to default, or just left at the same value when you locked it?
(#86)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-25-2016, 01:33 PM

Locking FF learning is a FutureUseD bit. Set that bit to off when done.

Burger Motorsports

(#87)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi jb4-
Default 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Hey fellas,

So with the new fireware installed and on a stock 335xi am I suppose to have all duty bias settings at (0 or 50)? 0 being the same as 50? Sorry I'm new to this and wanna make sure I start off on the right foot. Currently they are all set at either 0 or 50 but early in my throttle I'm getting some major leg. Once the boost kicks in it wants to take off but seems like it should be boosting a lot earlier then it is.. any suggestions?
(#88)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-11-2016, 08:28 PM

50 and 0 are the same thing. No adjustment.

If you need specific tuning help post logs in the support area and one of us can chime in with advice.

Burger Motorsports

(#89)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi jb4-
Default 08-11-2016, 09:01 PM

Gotcha. Laptop won't work without being plugged in apparently haha. Off to The store, will put logs up soon. Thanks
(#90)
Old

Car: 08' E90 335xi
Default 10-07-2016, 05:57 PM

What causes FF/Wastegate Adaptation to max out on its own?

02' E46 325ci 5MT- Totaled.
03' E46 330xi 5AT- Sold.
05' E46 M3 SMG- Sold.
08' E90 335xi 6AT- Totaled.
07' E92 335i 6MT- Current.
On3 67mm ST, JB4+MHD BEF, PI, E85 and supporting bolt-ons.
717rwhp on 27.5psi (Finish Line Performance Dynojet)
(#91)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-07-2016, 06:32 PM

It learns up when FF is well below PWM (e.g. when boost is below target).

Burger Motorsports

(#92)
Old

Car: 08' E90 335xi
Default 10-07-2016, 08:41 PM

Ok got it, that helps me understand why on map 1, it learns down and on map 6 it's learning up. Is that where I should be playing with duty bias values to match up boost and target per the hybrid tuning thread?

02' E46 325ci 5MT- Totaled.
03' E46 330xi 5AT- Sold.
05' E46 M3 SMG- Sold.
08' E90 335xi 6AT- Totaled.
07' E92 335i 6MT- Current.
On3 67mm ST, JB4+MHD BEF, PI, E85 and supporting bolt-ons.
717rwhp on 27.5psi (Finish Line Performance Dynojet)
(#93)
Old

Car: 135i
Default +1 - 10-11-2016, 07:08 AM

Same issue I had going from map2 for everyday driving then Map3 22lbs.

I just disabled Wastegate Adaption, and manually set FF to about 100, thats where my car is most responsive and gets on target fastest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikh335xi
Ok got it, that helps me understand why on map 1, it learns down and on map 6 it's learning up. Is that where I should be playing with duty bias values to match up boost and target per the hybrid tuning thread?

|2008 135i N54 | VRSF FBO| Motiv Port Injection | BMS PI Controller| AD-E ST Kit 6062 | JB4 G5 ISO 13.0 | BMS ST/MHD E85 Flash | 60% e70 | Fuel-It Stage3 LPFP | Spec2+/SMFW |3.5 TMAP | NLS

"stock"
(#94)
Old

Car: 2009 335i xDrive
Default 10-12-2016, 06:47 PM

@Terry can you take a look at my log from today and give me your opinion. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2016-10-12 11_04_11.csv (4.1 KB, 190 views)
(#95)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 10-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachecolive
@Terry can you take a look at my log from today and give me your opinion. Thanks
You need to post in the support forum.
(#96)
Old

Car: 2009 335i xDrive
Default 10-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54QC
You need to post in the support forum.
Got it, Thanx!
(#97)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default 10-16-2016, 06:50 PM

Does the JB4 monitor Knock? I feel like this is necessary to make sure I'm not dialing in too much boost. Also, does the JB4 automatically add more fuel, I understand the direct injection ratios, but how do I make sure they stay in check?
(#98)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM

Hey Guys , trying to understand the PID. Currently I am set to 25 and higher up I am under booosting with the ff maxing at 5280 - flat line. Ff global is at 126. So can I used PID to give more head room for ff/db adjustment to hit targets.

Thanks.
(#99)
Old

Car: 07 BMW 335i
Default 08-03-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zort
Hey Guys , trying to understand the PID. Currently I am set to 25 and higher up I am under booosting with the ff maxing at 5280 - flat line. Ff global is at 126. So can I used PID to give more head room for ff/db adjustment to hit targets.

Thanks.
No, PID is more for oscillation issues, etc. I'm assuming you have some other issue going on if you are underboosting. Might want to log and post in support section. Probably a small boost leak if you can build boost but it's falling off up top.

VTT Stage 2+ | JB4 G5 w/ Trebila BEF | Fuel-It Stage 3 | XHP Stage 3 | BL Coils | VTT Inlets | MMP Outlets | BMS Meth Dual 10/5CM | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF **'s | BMS CP | BMS DCI | Turbosmart Dual Port | 3.5 TMAP | BMS OCC | VTT PVC | BMS Anti-Lag | NGK 5992 | M3 Rear Upper Controls And Godspeed TB's | Lock-Down Brace | 235/285-18 PSS
(#100)
Old

Car: e90 335i
Default 08-03-2017, 08:24 PM

Thank you. Yes something else is definitely going on.