N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E93 335i
Default JB4 with MHD BEF - Questionable Behaviour - 07-02-2020, 06:31 AM

I'm new to the forum but not new to the N54 platform. I have been running a 335i E93 with JB4 for 4 years now with zero issues (let's not jynx it).
The only mods I have are ******* DP's - everything else is stock.
I have been running map 5 with 100 RON fuel (I believe this is around 93 octane in the US), and every single pull has been 17-17.5 PSI, no exceptions, no issues.
Yesterday I upgraded my JB4 firmware and flashed the pump gas BEF via MHD. Everything went smooth, but when I went for a test-drive and to log some data, map 5 maxed out at around 15 PSI. Also, timing seems a little too conservative and possibly being pulled a little bit. All else looks relatively OK. The weirdest thing is that map 7 peaks at around 19 PSI with no issues and no difference to the timing, trims, AFR's, or anything else. Unfortunately I do not have a good-enough log on map 7 yet - going for it tomorrow.
Is anyone able to have a look at the log and let me know if there is anything I should worry about immediately? Ambient temps were 33 degrees C (91 F). I might have leaky injectors, but hey are all index 12 OEM. Spark plugs seem like the weakest link in my opinion (OEM Bosch with >10k miles). Carbon cleaning was done chemically several weeks ago.
Thank you for bearing with me and the obnoxiously long post :D

Log (in Datazap):
https://***********/u/viktor-vasilev...10-11-17-18-24

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Edit: I attached the csv file because the link above just doesn't seem to load.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M5_R1_200701_181003.csv (12.7 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Viktorv; 07-02-2020 at 06:48 AM..
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 07-02-2020, 07:47 AM

Few things:

1. When you change away and back to Map 5, Ign Avg resets so it has to re-learn its target as the average is calculated.

2. Pump flash runs lower timings than stock by default. The idea is to get more boost and a net result is a little more power.

3. I suspect that the lower default timings of Pump flash make Map 5 learning worse. Fixed maps will likely work better. This is just my opinion though.

4. Log looks absolutely perfect for the conditions and settings. FMIC might help for summer temps. Would suggest logging on Map 2 (17 PSI w Flash). Map 7 is probably too aggressive for pump gas and 19 PSI is pushing it on stock turbos anyway.
(#3)
Old

Default 07-02-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Few things:

1. When you change away and back to Map 5, Ign Avg resets so it has to re-learn its target as the average is calculated.

2. Pump flash runs lower timings than stock by default. The idea is to get more boost and a net result is a little more power.

3. I suspect that the lower default timings of Pump flash make Map 5 learning worse. Fixed maps will likely work better. This is just my opinion though.

4. Log looks absolutely perfect for the conditions and settings. FMIC might help for summer temps. Would suggest logging on Map 2 (17 PSI w Flash). Map 7 is probably too aggressive for pump gas and 19 PSI is pushing it on stock turbos anyway.
Thanks for the guidance!
This was probably the 4th or 5th WOT pull on map 5, so it should have adapted well at that point. I still have to do lots more logging, so definitely will try map 2 as well.
FMIC is well overdue and next in my list, together with inlets.
Would you recommend race BEF map with pump fuel (100 RON) or is the risk too much?
As for the turbos themselves, these are my second pair of stock units, and I am sort of fed up with them, so I really don't mind pushing them to their breaking point. It will be a nice excuse for an upgrade.
(#4)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 07-03-2020, 07:25 AM

Like I said, I don't think Map 5 likes the pump flash due to lower default timings.

Would not run Race with pump gas unless you also run Meth.

You probably won't break the turbos using Map 7, but you may have an inconsistent experience as it will be tough to hit target across the RPM range. You'll probably hit timing corrections first anyway, plus increased IAT, without much benefit.

If you do inlets and intakes, you might be able to run a Map 6 that holds more boost to redline.

As always, evaluating logs is the best way. Sometimes, dialing it back a little gives a better overall experience then being right on the edge.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Thanks again for the good advice!
I managed to try map 2 today and it feels much better than map 5 with the flash. Smooth and strong. However, due to horrendous traffic I thought it was better not to distract myself with logging it, so this is still pending. I really want to do a proper log on map 7, as the fisrt one I did was identical with map 5. WGDC was a touch higher but that should be normal. Anyway, I will keep logging to learn where the car feels happy.
Thanks for taking the time and helping me out with the log! Much appreciated