N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default Same power with less boost? - 06-02-2020, 09:34 AM

So here is my situation, my turbos are worn out but I blew this years budget already due to necessary suspension repairs among other things.

I am currently running the PUMP flash with 93, and reaching even the 15 PSI of map 1 takes a long time. As this flash runs lower timings, the result is a big loss of power.

If I go back to the stock flash with potentially more favorable timing and lower boost, I would lose all the other flash benefits including some fixes I need.

Does anyone know what I have to modify in the Pump flash tables to run stock-like timings and boost? The JB4 has a way of knowing that particular flash is loaded and adjusts.

Another question would be if I could use the RACE flash with perhaps a lower boost Map 6 that would be safe with Pump gas. I am kind of leaning towards this option but I don't know if this is safe even at lower boost, and if the power would be similar. I will be satisfied with near map 1 power at this point.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 06-02-2020, 11:18 AM

Just remember that + degrees timing in more stress on the engine, more prom to knocking, save money for a while and go single turbo, which takes care of a lot of headaches that comes with the twin setup

JB4 flash with JB4, 4.0 bar sensor, DocR 6870, Race InterC, FuelIT stage 3 (525), Helix OverDrv 3x, Phoenix Intake with PI (750cc) with BMS controller, PrRW coil pack kit, WaveTrc Diff. E85
(#3)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-02-2020, 11:50 AM

I'm in a part of PA with strict emissions, don't think I could get away with ST.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM

It is the same as the twins , just add another catalytic to the factory exhaust of aftermarket 1.

JB4 flash with JB4, 4.0 bar sensor, DocR 6870, Race InterC, FuelIT stage 3 (525), Helix OverDrv 3x, Phoenix Intake with PI (750cc) with BMS controller, PrRW coil pack kit, WaveTrc Diff. E85
(#5)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-04-2020, 03:40 PM

Any other feedback? Was thinking I might try the Race flash with Map 5 and see if it learns down to the lowest setting (12 PSI I think?). Logs should tell me pretty quick if this is a bad idea.
(#6)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Coupe MT
Default 06-05-2020, 05:13 AM

I guess you could try that, post that log if you end up doing it. I'd be interested to see it.

2007 e92 335i 6MT MSPORT -- DAW Stage 4 Turbos -- AD Engineering Port Injection -- VRSF Down Ps -- BMS DCI -- VRSF Inlets -- VRSF Aluminum Outlets -- ARM Chargepipe -- Turbosmart DVs -- 7" ARM FMIC -- LSD -- 335is Clutch -- BMS Short Throw -- Stage 2 Bucketless -- n20 Tmap -- Custom 3.5" Single Exit Exhaust
(#7)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-07-2020, 08:04 AM

So I tried swapping in some of the RACE tables and setting Map 5. The better timing did seem to add some pep. Timing seemed to be fine for the most part. Problem is, Map 5 doesn't really learn down since I'm not hitting enough boost in the first place.

I'm going to set a custom Map 6 to 12 PSI across the board as that is the max these turbos will hit anyway, see how that works.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 06-07-2020, 07:31 PM

I'm thinking lower boost and more timing will be tangible, so long as you get no timing pulls.

Likely a scenario of trying and logging to see, as most with low boost/boost issues just dial it back until turbos are replaced.

Maybe someone with a similar past event will chime in with actual results.
I would not rely on logic in the case without logs...

2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T (200,000+ km)
Wheels: 322 | Tires: R.275/35r18, F.245/40r18
TUNE: JB4/Trebila | 24 PSI | 100% Meth via dual CM5 | 94 Octane
BMS: JB4, Map 6 | WMI | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI | Cowel Filters
RB: Inlets | PCV Valve
VRSF: DiPis | CP
HKS BOV
xHP Stage 3
NGK-97506 @ .020

Maintenance:
2018 - A/T Replaced | Ign Coils | Walnut Blast
2019 - Index 12 Injectors | VCG | OFHG & O-rings | TStat
2020 - OPG | Battery | IBS | Water Pump | Plugs | Alternator
(#9)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-07-2020, 08:01 PM

I set the 12 PSI Map 6 and it helped a lot. The smaller boost range seemed to make the tune behave better and I actually have an FF below 150 for once. Still laggy but it is linear, and feels more responsive and predictable. I also noticed it doesn't have the 'going on cam' feeling with the race tables. Either way, should hold me over, car is still fun to drive, just doesn't have that explosive power.
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 06-13-2020, 07:03 AM

When it comes time to pull the trigger on a new setup. Are you thinking, twins? Or just jumping to a newer car?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 06-14-2020, 07:59 AM

It's a weird situation. I don't commute any more so its hard to justify spending on a replacement car. My original intent was to stretch this car until I buy something electric. I had my eye on the upcoming Audi etron GT, but it seems it will be too expensive.

If I do fix this car, I'll probably wait for my second water pump to die so I can overlap the labor with turbos. Single is out of the question due to strict emissions, so I'd probably go with either an RB One variation or Pure600.

If I do get another car, I'd just sell this one as-is to an enthusiast. Not sure what the replacement would be. B58 is a beast, but I'm also looking at C63 coupes (4.0T), M2C, maybe TTRS if they come down. All these newer cars feel too big and have too much technology.