N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08' 335i 6MT JB4
Default N54 Throwing 30FC 30FF - lacks boost - 05-02-2020, 03:40 PM

Hi there,

2008 335i N54 - 85k - 6MT
JB4 that I purchased in 2013 - G5 board

Logs attached, but here's the jist of it.

With the JB4 installed car doesn't hold boost at all. With JB4 removed, car performs normally.

I had the dealer do a full inspection for boost leaks 5 months ago.
They found a vacuum leak and replaced all lines with new.
They uninstalled the JB4 and the car works fine and holds boost.

Today, I reinstalled the JB4 to get it back in there with a Bluetooth module. Under load, it's way under boost target, throws a half engine light, and doesn't feel healthy.

It throws 30FF and 30FC codes.

Firmware was updated to 32/14/2
Menu setting 4 -> 3
User adjusted Duty Bias = 0
Failsafe PSI 19

Logs here are for map5 and map1. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

EDIT: Issue was resolved by replacing the control board of the JB4
Attached Files
File Type: csv map1_pull.csv (6.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: csv map_5_pull.csv (7.1 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by s0urce; 05-29-2020 at 07:46 PM..
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 05-03-2020, 09:22 AM

Something def off.

JB4 is pretty old- but looks like you updated to the g5 board

Positive the JB4 is in 4/3?

Hpfp looks awful as well, just tanking.

Any other codes. ?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-03-2020, 01:33 PM

I replied to your duplicate thread, but I'll add here since Dave replied here.

Kinda weird. It does look like a boost leak, but I think it is possible it doesn't occur until a certain PSI (looks like 13+). JB4 removed and stock boost you might not trigger it.

What is strange is after boost drops, it doesn't seem like PWM goes back up to try and recover. The FF/PWM curves also are pretty far off considering the global FF value.

Besides checking the usual leak spots, check the DVs and the vac lines for the DVs, esp the one to manifold.

In the JB4 check the following: Set the duty biases to 50 instead of 0. Both values SHOULD do the same thing, but worth a try. Run through the FutureUseD menu and re-save it, even if you don't set anything here. Check menu 12 setting. Last, try a log on low boost map 4 and upload it.

Is it a really old JB4 by any chance? What FW did you have before upgrade (pre-ISO)?
(#4)
Old

Default 05-04-2020, 05:55 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

@Dave, I'm sure it's in 4/3 - no other codes.

@Vorsprung - I'll look a bit more at the DV's and try what you suggested with FutureUseD, and see how a log in map 4 looks.

JB4 is very old btw, purchased and installed in 2013. FW version was 32/0//2
(#5)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 05-04-2020, 07:23 PM

You must have reset the defaults in user adjustment or they would have been way off.

I think if your firmware reads as //2 at the end, you have an ISO board (either that or it means G5, forget). If you really, really want to make sure, you could remove the JB4, pop the case, and take a pic of the board. I bought my G5 upgrade in 2013 and had to convert it to ISO, it is right around the cutoff. Did you ever have to snip diodes?
(#6)
Old

Default 05-04-2020, 07:59 PM

Yea, I definitely did the diode snip back in the day. That should make it a G5 ISO board now yea?

What makes you think the defaults reset in user adjustment?
(#7)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Default 05-05-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0urce
Yea, I definitely did the diode snip back in the day. That should make it a G5 ISO board now yea?

What makes you think the defaults reset in user adjustment?
Ah then you should be fine in terms of ISO and right firmware.

Big jumps in FW version usually lead to scrambled settings and you have to manually reset them, but your settings looked fine in general. Let us know when you have a map 4 log.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-11-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
Ah then you should be fine in terms of ISO and right firmware.

Big jumps in FW version usually lead to scrambled settings and you have to manually reset them, but your settings looked fine in general. Let us know when you have a map 4 log.
Alrighty, have a log here in Map 4. As a reminder, I have zero boost issues with the JB4 removed from the car. But with it in, I can't even handle stock boost levels.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: csv map4.csv (8.8 KB, 115 views)
(#9)
Old

Default 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM

I just wanted to Bump this thread with some new information:

With the JB4 in the wastegate vacuum actuators are not getting any power according to the shop. What could possibly cause this? Is this a faulty board, or perhaps it thinks there is a BEF when there isn't?
(#10)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-21-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to Bump this thread with some new information:

With the JB4 in the wastegate vacuum actuators are not getting any power according to the shop. What could possibly cause this? Is this a faulty board, or perhaps it thinks there is a BEF when there isn't?
Just double check- you arenít in map 8 are you?

Ensure wheel is set to 4/3 (no flash)

Iíd also try reflashing the most up to date firmware

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#11)
Old

Default 05-22-2020, 09:17 AM

In map 4 for sure. Wheel is definitely 4/3. Perhaps I need to replace the JB4.
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-22-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
In map 4 for sure. Wheel is definitely 4/3. Perhaps I need to replace the JB4.
You can pick up a new board from us pretty cheap.

https://www.burgertuning.com/collect...control-boards

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 05-29-2020, 07:45 PM

I wanted to update the thread here as I resolved the issue.

Turns out a new control board fixed the issues entirely. Thanks to Burger for the fast shipping on the new control board. Car is running like a champ now.

New log with Map 1 attached. I will post some pictures of the old control board for those wondering.

Pics of the old board:
jb4 - Album on Imgur

Attached Files
File Type: csv map1.csv (27.1 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by s0urce; 05-29-2020 at 08:18 PM..
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-30-2020, 06:58 AM

Enable 6 cyl timing

Thanks for the kind words, glad you are back & boosting!

Enjoy the weekend & be drive safe

Burger Motorsports