N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 BMW 335xi 6at
Default Oil spewed OUT of air filters - 06-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Hey guys, was at an autocross event with my e90 FBO N54,
came out of a sharp right turn and stood on it, car built boost and then immediately lost power. almost felt water logged or something. not an ecu limp mode. started billowing smoke, limped it off the track and shut it off. no external leaks, but it had spewed oil OUT of the dual cone intakes, onto the engine cover and intake manifold.

I was assuming blown turbo seals, but I drove it 120 miles home from the track in map 4 without issues, no smoking.

Today on startup (after sitting 12+ hrs) there was NO smoke and no issues.

There are no codes. I took the intercooler off today to see if it was filled with oil, and there's a small amount, but not excessive. Was curious if anybody has any ideas what could cause oil to travel that way.

I ordered the dual oil catch can setup, because I have a hunch its a pcv issue.

Thanks in advance for any help. Just trying to get some ideas on what to check before I go the new turbo route.

Car is an 08 with 130k miles, and turbos are definitely on the to do list.
Been running tuned for 60k

Test drive this morning felt fine, they had no problem hitting 16psi, without smoking.
(#2)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 06-01-2020, 12:46 PM

Was it both intakes or only the rear one? PCV only exits to rear inlet. Not sure how it would exit the intake side unless there was some kind of compressor surge.

If it came all the way through the charge side it could have vented from both DV's into the intakes.

Maybe the PCV hose or valve sprung a temporary leak? Or even the valve cover or filler cap.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-01-2020, 02:19 PM

Yeah it was coated on both filters, not just the rear that the PCV hose connects to, however it could have made the jump i suppose from the rear filter to the front one, since it was ontop of the engine cover and intake manifold as well. I run with VRSF charge pipe and a tial bov, so it couldn't have traveled through the non existant dvs.

It had to have traveled through the turbo INLET if it didnt spew from the rear filter, Thats the only available path to the inside of that filter. But how would oil travel from there with the turbos working okay?

This is a stumper, really appreciate the reply. I took off the entire charge side and filters to have a look and it all had minor oil but not anything worrisome.
It was ALOT of smoke. Filled up the rear seat pretty nicely before i got off the track.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-01-2020, 09:10 PM

I know this doesnt show much, Im a bit nervous to give her the beans still.

Had no issues hitting 16psi?
Attached Files
File Type: csv 20200601_213639_runs(1).csv (10.8 KB, 111 views)
(#5)
Old

Car: E90-355I
Default 06-08-2020, 12:51 PM

Factory turbos?
Factory Inlets?
You say FBO which Inlets?
(#6)
Old

Default 06-08-2020, 01:08 PM

Sorry, yes factory turbos, and factory inlets, factory outlets
Said FBO for ease, full list technically is 7" VRSF intercooler, arm kittenless *****, vrsf charge pipe, tial bov, cobb *** back exhaust, walboro 535 lpfp, BMS DCI
Pretty much up to date on all regular maintenance.

running heavy e85 mix (not tested, around e60) with the JB4 and a mhd bef

Like I said, currently our best guess is a PCV issue. Been driving the car like normal, included some runs in mexico last night.... no smoke no problems. Got the dual BMS catch can im gonna install when I stop feeling lazy
(#7)
Old

Car: 2010 N54 BMW 135i
Default 06-09-2020, 04:57 PM

I suppose you could get a RB PCV valve if not installed yet. Maybe factory one decided to give up as you were on track, generating more crankase pressure and heat than usual.