N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#26)
Old

Car: Hyundai Veloster N
Default 10-23-2019, 04:49 AM

Thank you for the help fellas!! I'm on the road working but my jb4 should be in today.. When I get back I'll do the install and send some pictures and logs!
(#27)
Old

Default 10-23-2019, 10:58 AM

Guys,

One more thing before install.. On map 1.. Should I go to the colder plugs off the jump, or stock plugs ok with the increase at map 1.. Again, I'm not going hardcore with this, just wanting my N to at least touch 300 hundred in hp and torque.

Thanks.
(#28)
Old

Car: G70
Default 10-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerok78
Guys,

One more thing before install.. On map 1.. Should I go to the colder plugs off the jump, or stock plugs ok with the increase at map 1.. Again, I'm not going hardcore with this, just wanting my N to at least touch 300 hundred in hp and torque.

Thanks.
You're not going to get there with Map1. Not to the wheels anyway!
You can regap the stock plugs for Map1. For anything more, get colder plugs.
(#29)
Old

Default 10-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ
You're not going to get there with Map1. Not to the wheels anyway!
You can regap the stock plugs for Map1. For anything more, get colder plugs.
Thanks for the info, understood..
I really didn't expect to get to 300whp with a map 1 stock,
I have the forge intake with inlet I'm throwing on when I get home and that's about it for now, so I'll just take whatever extra power I'll get with that and the JB4.
(#30)
Old

Default 11-01-2019, 06:36 PM

So I installed the JB4 no problem, but had an issue with the connect kit which Art from JB4 connect kit is helping to resolve. My question is since I can't see the gauges or log is the JB4 defaulted to map 1 from the box? I ran it today blindly and it ran like a champ, so is it safe to just run it as is until a new Bluetooth module comes in?
(#31)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Map1 is the default! If no gauges sure OBDII is in?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#32)
Old

Default 11-01-2019, 06:52 PM

I can't see the gauges cause I'm having problems with the Bluetooth connect kit.. So i have no mobile connectivity.
(#33)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I can't see the gauges cause I'm having problems with the Bluetooth connect kit.. So i have no mobile connectivity.
What are your issues? Have you contacted them directly?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#34)
Old

Default 11-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
What are your issues? Have you contacted them directly?

Yes I have, i sent in the unit i got and they are sending me a new unit. The bluetooth would not connect at all, and they couldn't erase the account that somehow was attached to it.

i'm on the road for a couple weeks so when i get i should have a new unit, and report back with results and hopefully some logs.
(#35)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 11-05-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Yes I have, i sent in the unit i got and they are sending me a new unit. The bluetooth would not connect at all, and they couldn't erase the account that somehow was attached to it.

i'm on the road for a couple weeks so when i get i should have a new unit, and report back with results and hopefully some logs.
Awesome, glad you're getting taken care of.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#36)
Old

Car: 2020 Veloster N
Default 11-15-2019, 08:00 AM

So I have a Veloster N non-PP model. If I were to install a jb4, would I expect the final horsepower to be similar to a PP-model or would the gains be offset by that initial difference of 25 hp? Is it possible to make the non-PP engine perform like the PP model with just a jb4 tune?
(#37)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeley
So I have a Veloster N non-PP model. If I were to install a jb4, would I expect the final horsepower to be similar to a PP-model or would the gains be offset by that initial difference of 25 hp? Is it possible to make the non-PP engine perform like the PP model with just a jb4 tune?
You can push boost a little higher but I'm not familiar if the turbos are the same between the models, that would be the biggest factor in determining how much power you can safely add.

Burger Motorsports

(#38)
Old

Default 11-15-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You can push boost a little higher but I'm not familiar if the turbos are the same between the models, that would be the biggest factor in determining how much power you can safely add.

I gotcha.. I was lead to believe that the base N and PP package had the same engine/turbo but the base was limited on the top end by tune. I haven't confirmed parts numbers however to know if the turbo differs.

Would datalogging tell us if the non-PP is just running less timing and/or boost on stock tune or is otherwise detuned in some other way?

Last edited by biggeley; 11-15-2019 at 12:13 PM..
(#39)
Old

Default 11-17-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeley
I gotcha.. I was lead to believe that the base N and PP package had the same engine/turbo but the base was limited on the top end by tune. I haven't confirmed parts numbers however to know if the turbo differs.

Would datalogging tell us if the non-PP is just running less timing and/or boost on stock tune or is otherwise detuned in some other way?

I was under the same impression that they're identical, only difference is mapping...would be interested to see if that's the case as well.
(#40)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-17-2019, 09:49 AM

If the difference is only mapping we'll have a little more flexibility for sure. Post the logs and we can help you dial it in.

Burger Motorsports

(#41)
Old

Default 11-24-2019, 07:01 PM

Terry finally got the bluetooth working ...could you check out this log to see if its a big enough sample size
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-11-24 17_20_40_Map-1.csv (23.3 KB, 135 views)
(#42)
Old

Default 11-24-2019, 08:11 PM

I noticed a couple spikes in the AFR.. but for the most part the AFR was stable at WOT...let me know if you see something different.

Last edited by deerok78; 11-24-2019 at 08:28 PM..
(#43)
Old

Default 11-25-2019, 05:16 AM

One more thing ..last night after i sent that log.. i installed my forge intake the afr reading would spike to 25.5 idling down around the 2500 to 2000 rpm mark ..

I tried it on map 1 and map 0 ..same thing.
Is that the ecu still figuring out the added intake on the car

Any insight would be helpful

Thanks in advance
(#44)
Old

Default 11-25-2019, 11:52 AM

Disregard on the AFR reading..I did some research and it seems its normal for AFR value to spike when throttle is completely off and in Decel...

Im a noob and I got worried.
(#45)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-25-2019, 09:06 PM

Log looks fine to me.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#46)
Old

Default 11-26-2019, 12:08 PM

Thanks Terry.
(#47)
Old

Default 12-30-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
If the difference is only mapping we'll have a little more flexibility for sure. Post the logs and we can help you dial it in.
Terry,

Here is a map0 and map2 datalog from a veloster n non-performance pack model. How does boost/timing compare to a performance pack model? Boost is suprisingly low through the rev range (10-11 psi) in map0. Map 2 seems to give me about 15 psi falling off to 13 psi at 6krpm.

Do you think there'd be any value in creating a custom map based on the data you see here? Do you have a recommendations for a good starting point if I do? I'm running regapped factory plugs and 93 octane.

Thanks!
Dave

2019-12-30 19_33_20_Map-0.csv
2019-12-30 19_55_41_Map-2.csv
(#48)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-30-2019, 06:52 PM

Update to the latest v12 firmware so I can see timing on all 4 cylinders!

Burger Motorsports

(#49)
Old

Default 12-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Alright, tried again after updating. Decided to toss in a map 3 for ****s and giggles. Map 3 pulled noticeably stronger than map 2. Seems like V12 is reporting higher boost on all maps.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-30 22_05_47_Map-0.csv (10.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: csv 2019-12-30 22_13_46_Map-2.csv (8.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: csv 2019-12-30 22_17_35_Map-3.csv (8.3 KB, 137 views)
(#50)
Old

Default 01-03-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Terry, I've been staring at the datalogs in my post above for a bit trying to understand all the parameters.. Does it seem like map3 is a good fit in the upper rpm range? It looks to me that I'm getting timing advance on all cyl's that matches map0.

I don't like the ~ 22 psi spike at 4200 rpms with map3 however. Was thinking maybe I try and tune that out with a custom map6, and maybe use the boost settings from map2 to 4500 rpms, and then use map3 for 5000+ rpms.. Thoughts?

I appreciate any input. This is new to me. Trying to make sure I understand what's going on.

Thanks,
Dave