N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#3851)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-29-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMare F30
Hey guys new to the page have a 2012 f30 335i pwg car. The car when I connect the MAF sensor has a roughy idle and turns off I unplug the sensor and the car idles normal. Second I just purchased a jb4 second hand owner and I want to see if I got the right jb4 for the car because I thought it would need a connection for the boost solenoid but it doesn’t only for the sensor on the manifold the charge pipe and the fuel rail and the jb4 board says it’s a x55-rev3.0 so I do t know what that means
List of mods
Charge pipe
Down pipe
Full exhaust
CAI
It's usually intake/MAF sensor related.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3852)
Old

Car: m135i
Default jb4 f series n55 EWG firmware update - 11-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Hi all just installed (second hand) jb4 on my f20 m135i ewg. All seems well. I thought id try updating the firmware via my laptop (not Bluetooth app). I selected the firmware for the f series ewg but it just comes up with a page of codes and no option to save. Any ideas guys? many thanks in advance
(#3853)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-02-2020, 02:29 PM

You have to download the firmware from the first post and save it on the desktop of the laptop you're using to load.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3854)
Old

Car: m135i
Default 11-03-2020, 09:39 AM

Hi Terry thanks for the reply buddy. I have now manged to save both firmware updates to my laptop desktop. I upload them onto jb4 interface, says verifying checksum, then says rebooting jb4, then says update complete in 02:40 but just sits there, no green tick. Can I assume the firmware has updated or do I have a problem. I think it did crash once, got a msg saying I now have no firmware and the car will just crank. I quickly went through the upload again, same thing just says upload complete in 02:40 and sits there. Car starts fine though. I just don't understand why I dont get the green tick, id feel so much better! lol. Thanks again.
(#3855)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-03-2020, 04:44 PM

You're firmware is update then. Not sure what you're waiting for to turn green but nothing does.

Burger Motorsports

(#3856)
Old

Car: M135i LCI
Default JB4_F_EWG_17_T2.hex - 11-05-2020, 03:03 PM

Hi.

2016 LCI M135i N55 EWG
aFe dry panel filter, 99 RON fuel
JB4: Map 5

I recently updated to JB4_F_EWG_17_T2.hex. I have been running it for a few weeks.

The consistent codes I receive are tuner codes which I ignore; 102001 Air mass, plausibility -- tuner code, ignore and 101F01 Throttle valve opening angle pressure -- ignore, tuner code

Often under smooth consistent acceleration around 4000 RPM I seem to have a sudden drop in power for a second or two. Each time the error code; 101F02 Throttle angle - intake manifold pressure, correlation: limit exceeded.

In all other instances the update file seems to be working fine. In the meantime I have rolled back to an older update file as I know this works well. (N55_FSERIES_OBDII_EWG_15_T5B.hex)

I have attached a CSV file if necessary, It would be great if you are able to shed any light on this.

Dan
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M5_R4_201104_2153.csv (22.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Drizzlnish; 11-05-2020 at 03:19 PM..
(#3857)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-05-2020, 04:17 PM

Update to v18 firmware, set duty bias to 50 across the board, pid gain to 20, FF to 50, and grab another log on map2.

Burger Motorsports

(#3858)
Old

Car: 2013 335i
Default 11-05-2020, 06:53 PM

What is dash menu 9 and 10 for? I've looked everywhere and can't find it for sure on F series. And what are defaults for them? I'm overboosting at spool up and wondering if one is wastegate position.

Also menu 2 only has 3 settings but the 1st post here shows different. Any way the OP can update. It's confusing for someone new to JB4.
(#3859)
Old

Car: BMW F33 435i.
Default "OBDII In Dash Menu '3 :LED max brightness" issue. - 11-22-2020, 05:20 PM

Hi!
Recently I've updated my firmware and faced with little but very annoying issue both on
JB4_F_EWG_18_T15 and JB4_F_EWG_17_T2.

OBDII In Dash Menu '3 :LED max brightness. After turning this feature on (setting tach on 1000), Led lights become bright for a few seconds (approx. 20 sec) and after turns back to stock brightness. Wherein, when I go back to obdii in dash menu, and check menu 3, I see that it is still set as "on" (tach=1000).

In my previous firmware, this feature was working perfectly. Unfortunately I don't remember name of previous firmware.

My Car is BMW 435i F33 (2014). N55 EWG.

Any Ideas of how this can be sorted out? Thanks in advance.
(#3860)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-22-2020, 05:39 PM

On the LED max brightness I found a possible bug. Will put an update in the alpha channel for you to test shortly.

Burger Motorsports

(#3861)
Old

Default 11-23-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
On the LED max brightness I found a possible bug. Will put an update in the alpha channel for you to test shortly.

Thank you very much for quick reply! It is fixed now!
(#3862)
Old

Default Actual boost lower than boost target - 11-23-2020, 12:41 PM

Hi again!

Another problem I'm facing is associated with the boost level.
For unknown reason my actual boost do not hit the level of boost target.
This happens on all maps I am using i.e. 1,2 and especially 5. The difference between target boost and actual boost is especially big on low RPMs. On high RPMs around 6k difference is decreasing but still remain. All above can be clearly seen on the logs attached.

What can be the reason of such behaviour? Any suggestions regarding how this can be solved?

My configuration:
BMW F33 435i 2014. N55 EWG.
VRSF ******* DP, Big VRSF FMIC, VRSF Chargepipe, BMS Performance air Intake.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 201123_2031 map 5.csv (47.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: csv 201123_2033 map 2.csv (26.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: csv 201123_2037 map1.csv (36.3 KB, 19 views)
(#3863)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-23-2020, 06:17 PM

Boost targeting looks normal to me here. Boost is lower overall due to the cold weather.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#3864)
Old

Car: M135i
Default 11-23-2020, 06:46 PM

Guys where ca I download old firmwares, I need the N55_F_PWG_INT_13 the 15 is not working properly in my car
(#3865)
Old

Car: '14 BMW 535i xdrive PWG
Default 12-05-2020, 06:06 AM

Terry this is my first post and wanted to make sure you received my message from another thread. I am having issues with drivetrain malfunction after updating my firmware on my PWG F10 JB4 in a 2014 535i. My jb4 has the OBD II addon and rev 2.0 chip. I had to remove the jb4 to get my car to drive. what are my options to get a jb4 back into working order in my vehicle?
(#3866)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 12-20-2020, 01:43 PM

Back in June I updated to the latest version jb4_f_ewg_18_t15.hex. At that time I had some codes ans drivetrain error thus flashed back to JB4_F_EWG_17_T2.hex.

Today I again tried the bèta with settings duty bias to 50 across the board, FF to 50, PID gain to 20, and shift reduction 60. Did some runs in map 2 and later map 6. This time no codes, car was fine. Thats great!

Attached a map 6 log. What do you think of the log? I see a drop in timing. My FOL is at 60.

Terry says default settings are duty bias to 50 across the board, FF to 50, PID gain to 20, and shift reduction 60. Is this a safe setting for adaptation to the car?
What can i try to change in the settings. Can I add duty bias across the board, set FF higher, set Fol higher, shift reduction higher? Please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M6_R1_201220_201058.csv (7.7 KB, 15 views)
(#3867)
Old

Car: 2015 435i xdrive gran coupe
Default 12-20-2020, 01:57 PM

What are your mods?
What fuel are you using?
Are you running meth?
Do you have a bef loaded?
(#3868)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 12-20-2020, 02:25 PM

Wagner ic, ftp charge/boost pipe, CL dp, custom exhaust, xhp stage 3, ngk spark.
Shell v power 98, no meth, no bef.
Maybe later I will buy mhd and try bef. For now I will try to finetune jb4.
(#3869)
Old

Car: 2015 335i
Default DME Codes after JB4 install F30 N55 - 01-10-2021, 09:38 PM

Hi Guys,
New to the forum. Been on bimmerpost for a couple years and the guys there suggested posting my issue here.

I have a used JB4 that I had installed on a 2015 335i, which worked fine. That car was total so I bought another identical one to replace it. Been running MHD stage 2+ W/ FBO and thought I try BEF. Ordered a new odb2 cable and the Bluetooth connect device. Installed everything today. Initially I could not get the app to see the JB4, but after a phone reboot and starting the car everything connect flawlessly. Updated firmware to JB4_F_EWG_17_T2, which completed successfully. Afterwards, I started the car again and it sputtered and sounded like it was knocking and the power train warnings came then I shut the car down. I tried to reconnect the app and, which would start the connection process and make to “waiting for handshake”, hang for a few seconds and error out.

Tried all suggested troubleshooting, phone restart, checking connections, etc. nor worked, and no connection. Before staying the car again, I disconnect the odb2 cable and it hesitated at first but then idled smoothly, MIL was still on, with performance reduced message. Using my MHD app, I was able to pull the DME codes (104401, 119001, 121001, 104B01,
(#3870)
Old

Car: 2015 335i
Default 01-10-2021, 09:46 PM

Sorry all, guess I ran out characters on my original post. Below is the rest
With obd2 cable disconnected, I went for drive (after flashing MHD to stage 0) and car was still in limp mode. After that I completely disconnected JB4 restoring all factory connections and car is back to normal.

Unfortunately, I still cannot connect to JB4 and I don’t have the usb data cable to see if the until still works.

Hoping someone here has some ideas. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mike K
(#3871)
Old

Car: BMW F10 N55
Default F10 N55 PWG boost stuck - Yesterday, 07:09 AM

Need help badly. Apparently my RHD BMW F10 535i N55 PWG with
1. Vargas GC DBB turbo
2. MHD Backend flash
3. Stack with JB4 as boost controller

Problem is
1. Using JB4 to command for higher or lower boost, but boost cannot increase or decrease.
2. MHD mapped target to 20 PSI. Disconnected JB4 and running on MHD alone, boost drop to 16 PSI.
3. Connected Jb4 back with MHD as backend, the boost back to 20 PSI.
4. Then using JB4 to command for 26 PSI, still boost at 20 PSI.
5. Using JB4 again to command 13 PSI, still boost at 20 PSI.
6. Try to play around with position on the turbo actuator screw, but still same boost 20 PSI.
7. smoke tested and no boost leak.

Changed to brand new boost soleniod, new 3.5bar tmap sensor, new DV+ come with new Vargas GC DBB Turbo and turbo actuator, new JB4

Engine just fully newly done up full forged with M2 forged crank. Engine have no problem. No drivetrain fault code.

What can be the problem? Because suspected that maybe it is the turbo actuator fault, I emailed couple of email to Tony from Vargas to sell me new heavy duty turbo actuator and seek advice, but didnt get really get the answer and only one response to ask me to tighten the turbo actuator screw 3 rounds. I tried to do that, but still the same.

Really very frustrated and disappointed. Sincerely hope can have advice here. Thanks in Advance. Good Health to all.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/BMWN55...9014816940232/

Last edited by dust0879; Yesterday at 07:41 AM..
(#3872)
Old

Car: 335i N55
Default help w/ JB 4 logs (low target boost) - Yesterday, 12:33 PM

First off, I'm new here but have been lurking on the forum for the past month. Thanks to all the contributors for this great resource.

I just installed a JB4, catted DP, FMIC, CP, and drop in K&N filter and went for a few test drives. The car ran just fine and had extra power, but not as much as expected (I've had a few modified turbo cars in the past). So I logged a few pulls on 93 octane pump gas (10% ethanol) in 50 degree weather using maps 1 and 2.

I'm new to reading JB4 logs, but it seems to me my TARGET boost is quite low at 4-6 psi. Am I right? Any idea how to correct this?

A few more details:
  • I bought the JB4 used. The fuel harness is connected, but I don't currently have an EWG harness (it's on order).
  • I have the latest EWG firmware installed.
  • I set the gear boost limits high (around 20psi) so as to disable (I now realize I could have done this by setting to 0).
  • My boost at idle or engine off/ignition on was intermittently reading 1.3 psi on the day I was logging. I have since cleaned all the connections with alcohol and for now it is showing 0 psi at idle. Otherwise it has been responding as expected.

Here are logs...

EDIT: Sorry I'm a new user and am having trouble posting links (admin please advise..maybe new accounts are locked from using links?). If you are familiar with bitly you can add the last half of the links below in a browser to view. I've also attached the CSV files.

2nd and 3rd gear (target boost is only 4-6 psi):
/2ndand3rdpulls

2nd, 3rd, 4th gear (target boost only 4 psi)
/2ndthru4thpulls

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. While I wonder if the TMAP sensor or connection could contribute to the problem, even if it was reading 1.3 psi higher during the pulls I wouldn't expect the target boost to be so low.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P10_M2_R1_210119_93 octane.csv (9.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: csv M2_210119 93octane v18 firmware.csv (11.6 KB, 1 views)

'14 335i M Sport (F30 N55), JB4, CTS Turbo catted DP and CP, ARM FMIC, drop in K&N air filter

Last edited by zmunkey; Yesterday at 09:42 PM.. Reason: fix links, add CSV logs, correct that one pull was on map 1, the other on map 2
(#3873)
Old

Car: 335i N55
Default Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmunkey
First off, I'm new here but have been lurking on the forum for the past month. Thanks to all the contributors for this great resource.

I just installed a JB4, catted DP, FMIC, CP, and drop in K&N filter and went for a few test drives. The car ran just fine and had extra power, but not as much as expected (I've had a few modified turbo cars in the past). So I logged a few pulls on 93 octane pump gas (10% ethanol) in 50 degree weather using maps 1 and 2.

I'm new to reading JB4 logs, but it seems to me my TARGET boost is quite low at 4-6 psi. Am I right? Any idea how to correct this?

A few more details:
  • I bought the JB4 used. The fuel harness is connected, but I don't currently have an EWG harness (it's on order).
  • I have the latest EWG firmware installed.
  • I set the gear boost limits high (around 20psi) so as to disable (I now realize I could have done this by setting to 0).
  • My boost at idle or engine off/ignition on was intermittently reading 1.3 psi on the day I was logging. I have since cleaned all the connections with alcohol and for now it is showing 0 psi at idle. Otherwise it has been responding as expected.

Here are logs...

EDIT: Sorry I'm a new user and am having trouble posting links (admin please advise..maybe new accounts are locked from using links?). If you are familiar with bitly you can add the last half of the links below in a browser to view. I've also attached the CSV files.

2nd and 3rd gear (target boost is only 4-6 psi):
/2ndand3rdpulls

2nd, 3rd, 4th gear (target boost only 4 psi)
/2ndthru4thpulls

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. While I wonder if the TMAP sensor or connection could contribute to the problem, even if it was reading 1.3 psi higher during the pulls I wouldn't expect the target boost to be so low.
Update:
I just found this helpful page on logging parameters and their meanings that states:

"Note some systems such as the EWG JB4 applications have additive target maps. With additive maps target represents the boost added to the factory boost target rather than the absolute boost target. If you see a log with a target of 6psi or less then its like an EWG model utilizing an additive map."

On map 2 that would explain the target boost values of 4-6 psi. But if the target is added to a stock boost of say 8psi, I'd expect to see 12-14 psi, but am getting only 9-11 psi.

On map 1 I'm seeing a pretty flat 4 psi target, so would expect say 12 psi, but am getting only 8-10 psi.

Does this indicate I should increase the "FF / Wastegate" adaptation setting from 50 to say, 60 or 70?

'14 335i M Sport (F30 N55), JB4, CTS Turbo catted DP and CP, ARM FMIC, drop in K&N air filter