N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#801)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-23-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky
Yeah 100% agree with you and from past experience I want a JB4 plus I know all the benefits and differences, I just want to see how common the issue is and what happens if I got one now and it has this issue, just nervous buying when problems are present, appreciate all the issues fixing it now and time constraints, you lot are doing a great job so far
It's one of those weird things. Some customers never have it and some have it more often. Every time I think we've nailed down the cause it shifts. The virus has not helped as it's taken up a lot of extra time with routine business navigating around routine business.

Although the issue can be annoying at times it's not a huge issue. And if you want to go faster but don't want to flash, the JB4 is the only game in town. It has shown it can put down performance in the ballpark of the flash tunes.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#802)
Old

Car: Audi RS3
Default 04-24-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS

Every time I think we've nailed down the cause it shifts.

Sounds like it's mutating.
(#803)
Old
Demigod

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 04-24-2020, 09:45 AM

I have the APR Stage 1 E85 flash with the JB4 and no BCM. I use the JB4 for logging in Map 0 and to reduce boost in Map 6 for most daily driving. My JB4 has always been placed between the airbox and ECU.

I definitely notice more low boost issues when in Map 6, or when the air seems to change (humidity, temperature, etc.). It's really hard to say if it's only because of EMF. The more consistent the air is, the less I have the low boost issue.

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#804)
Old

Car: 2018 rs3
Default low boost - 04-25-2020, 06:00 PM

I insist that low boost is not a simple installation location problem。Because I tried almost any installation location I can try。In addition, in Chinese cars, faults often pop up. I carefully observed that whenever a fault occurs, it will sound like an electronic interference, but this time you use JB4 to read the fault code, and nothing.
Attached Images

(#805)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc61940542
I insist that low boost is not a simple installation location problem。Because I tried almost any installation location I can try。In addition, in Chinese cars, faults often pop up. I carefully observed that whenever a fault occurs, it will sound like an electronic interference, but this time you use JB4 to read the fault code, and nothing.
That sounds like a different issue as this common issue we're discussing never has a fault code triggered. Try reading your codes with VAGCOM to see what crops up.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#806)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-25-2020, 07:55 PM

In terms of placement did some more testing with our TTRS and found with box taped to window no "low boost" within a 15 min period, but with the box sitting in the airbox bottom, 3-4 within the same period. Still working on EMF filtering algorithms as time permits.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#807)
Old

Car: 2018 rs3
Default 04-25-2020, 08:56 PM

I tested it on two Chinese rs3, and the problem occurred
(#808)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-25-2020, 09:11 PM

I know that I have personally had this low boost condition happen hundreds of times. But not once has there been a fault code because of it on my car. I have had fault codes for other things, but never the JB4 low boost issue.

If you can post the code and a datalog from the JB4, at least we can all confirm what is causing your issues and if it's not what we're experiencing, we can learn from your issue.

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#809)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-800
Update.

No different still can trigger the low boost.

Is this just a separate boost module issue ?

Could it be down to the boost module or the RS3ís boost valve itself ?
I think the issue has to be EMF affecting hte JB4 control board itself. I would not expect the BCM to have any affect. You had the issue more or less resolved before you extended wires if I recall?

Burger Motorsports

(#810)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-26-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc61940542
I tested it on two Chinese rs3, and the problem occurred
Do you have a rev 3.7 JB4 mobile adapter? A separate issue cropped up with those that would cause settings to get reset. Shouldn't cause a code but would be annoying. Fix is posted in the v6 firmware.

Burger Motorsports

(#811)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 04-27-2020, 08:39 AM

The low boost problem existed before the boost module release. I remember the very first time I went WOT on JB4. It started to build boost then fell on it's face.
I remember there were some of us that hoped that the boost module would correct this behavior but it didn't. What the boost module does is add boost to levels beyond what the factory ECU wastegate duty would allow.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#812)
Old

Default 04-27-2020, 04:53 PM

I installed my JB4 under my dash and I get the no boost issue 90% of the time
(#813)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 04-27-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad.las
I installed my JB4 under my dash and I get the no boost issue 90% of the time
Interesting... left or right hand drive car?
Did you extend the harness?

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#814)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-27-2020, 05:11 PM

The issue definitely is not BCM related.

Burger Motorsports

(#815)
Old

Default 04-28-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegxsi
Interesting... left or right hand drive car?
Did you extend the harness?
Left hand drive and no, I didn't have to extend the harness.
(#816)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-28-2020, 09:41 AM

Have we considered that maybe the "new" digital ****pit in the RS3/TTRS could be causing additional EMF issues? On LHD vehicles, the ECU, digital ****pit, fuse box, etc. are all on the left hand side where the JB4 is supposed to reside.

I am thinking about trying to put the JB4 in the right hand side glove box in my vehicle.

(#817)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-28-2020, 09:42 AM

Really? **** is censored? **** a doodle doo!

(#818)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-28-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Have we considered that maybe the "new" digital ****pit in the RS3/TTRS could be causing additional EMF issues? On LHD vehicles, the ECU, digital ****pit, fuse box, etc. are all on the left hand side where the JB4 is supposed to reside.

I am thinking about trying to put the JB4 in the right hand side glove box in my vehicle.
Yes moving over to the left side of the engine bay is on my to-test list.

Burger Motorsports

(#819)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-28-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt1841
Really? **** is censored? **** a doodle doo!
lol there are a bunch of default censored words, to prevent the search engines from detecting them and lowering your search ratings or miscategorizing the site.

Burger Motorsports

(#820)
Old
Demigod

Default 04-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Yes moving over to the left side of the engine bay is on my to-test list.
I think you mean right side. As in right hand drive (side)

(#821)
Old

Default 04-29-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Mines in that very place, makes no difference.........

However since turning the cars Wi-Fi off (gotta be worth a shot to rule it out) yesterday i haven't had it yet..... but we shall see.

Next step if Wi-Fi off doesn't cure it is a metal box and a Faraday pouch.
My RS3 doesn't have wifi activated , I doubt this is the issue
(#822)
Old

Default 04-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Yes turning Wi-Fi off makes no difference.
We gotta figure this out , getting tired of being embarrassed by civics on the highway 😂
(#823)
Old

Default 05-03-2020, 06:13 AM

My car ended up on map 8 today, I'm fairly sure I didn't set it to 8.
Is this something it may have done on its own as a safety feature?
(#824)
Old
Demigod

Default 05-03-2020, 09:01 AM

Map 8 is the safety map. You either overboosted, ran lean, or ran out of fuel pressure. If you go into the User Adjustment screen on the JB4 Mobile app, you'll see why it did it at the very bottom under Last Safety.

I believe the Windows app also has this info, as it is stored in the JB4 itself.

Not a huge deal, usually. Especially if you don't have many mods and aren't running a different flash or custom JB4 settings. If you have auto logging turned on with the JB4 Mobile app, you will have a nice little recording of WHY it went into Map 8

(#825)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 05-03-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSthree
My car ended up on map 8 today, I'm fairly sure I didn't set it to 8.
Is this something it may have done on its own as a safety feature?
If you check the last safety value it will tell you why it map switched.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo