N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#676)
Old

Car: Audi RS3
Default 02-10-2020, 07:03 AM

I see. I’d really like to pair this JB4 with my current stage 1 APR tune w/ inlet pipe. I’d like to run E30-E50 with 2-3 extra lbs of added boost from the JB4. Would that safely be possible without adding additional fuel support?
(#677)
Old

Car: RS3
Default 02-10-2020, 08:41 AM

I've been getting a drive system malfunction when I start the car in the morning. I scanned it with OBDeleven and I'm getting intermittent "Manifold abs. press. sense" fault. I restart the car and it goes away. Has anyone seen this issue before?

Name:  1_OBDelevenn.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  32.4 KB Name:  2_OBDelevenn.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  34.0 KB

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX

Last edited by tegxsi; 02-10-2020 at 09:15 AM..
(#678)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-10-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegxsi
I've been getting a drive system malfunction when I start the car in the morning. I scanned it with OBDeleven and I'm getting intermittent "Manifold abs. press. sense" fault. I restart the car and it goes away. Has anyone seen this issue before?
When reading with the JB4 is it showing 4973? Does it when very cold or at all temps?

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#679)
Old

Default 02-10-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
When reading with the JB4 is it showing 4973? Does it when very cold or at all temps?
I updated my post with screen capture. Only happens on cold mornings. So far it's been happening once a week. The rest of the day it starts up fine.

I haven't checked codes on JB4. I turn to OBDeleven because JB4 doesn't provide a description.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#680)
Old
Legend

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-10-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I updated my post with screen capture. Only happens on cold mornings. So far it's been happening once a week. The rest of the day it starts up fine.

I haven't checked codes on JB4. I turn to OBDeleven because JB4 doesn't provide a description.
When you get it again please check with JB4. Some of the V6 are getting this in extreme cold. On VCDS its a barometric calculation issue so will need to see if playing with that fixes it as the JB4 does get this value key on.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#681)
Old

Default 02-10-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George @ BMS
When you get it again please check with JB4. Some of the V6 are getting this in extreme cold. On VCDS its a barometric calculation issue so will need to see if playing with that fixes it as the JB4 does get this value key on.
I'm getting 8A4F on JB4.
As expected, same fault as before on OBDeleven.

When this happens, the car is quiet and doesn't go through the cold start routine.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#682)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 07:20 AM

I might have had the “extreme cold” issue:

Was driving to a ski resort in a snowstorm last week, 3800ft DA, ~17 degrees F, and ended up with a perpetual no-boost issue that was not rectified by any type of throttle movement nor a complete ignition cycle. I ended up stopping on the side of the road to full disconnect as I was in the middle of no where and didn’t want something to get me “stuck”.

And this is with the v2 board + ~10 ferrite clips.

Daily Driver: 2018 RS3, Black Optics, Dynamic+, Driver Assist, STM resonator delete, STM intercooler, CTS Turbo Intake, EMD Springs/Swaybars, Girodisc Rotors, Carbotech pads, 034 goodies everywhere.
Tow-Vehicle: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, 4x4 + Hemi

Past:
2000 3.8L Mustang - All bolt ons, 8.8 rear conversion
2007 Honda Accord - I had a moment of “sensible-ness”
2011 BMW 335D - Custom intake, JBD
2014 Audi S4 - Intake, Chipwerke, Couple of VCDS mods
(#683)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk

Was driving to a ski resort in a snowstorm last week, 3800ft DA, ~17 degrees F, and ended up with a perpetual no-boost issue that was not rectified by any type of throttle movement nor a complete ignition cycle. I ended up stopping on the side of the road to full disconnect as I was in the middle of no where and didn’t want something to get me “stuck”.

And this is with the v2 board + ~10 ferrite clips.
Thanks for sharing your feedback and glad you were okay during the snowstorm. For now, it seems that technology has outsmarted this iteration of JB4 on this platform.
(#684)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Interesting an extreme cold issue could be a separate logical issue all together, coldest it ever gets around here is 35F so we haven't tested below that.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#685)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskunk
What did the app report as IAT when the issue came up?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#686)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-16-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkai0
Thanks for sharing your feedback and glad you were okay during the snowstorm. For now, it seems that technology has outsmarted this iteration of JB4 on this platform.
Interestingly it looks like Audi ditched the higher tech SENT sensors for their new 2020 "exhaust filter" models. We're working on a new JB4 system for the newer cars running analog sensors. Which I suspect, will not have any of these annoyance issues.

Burger Motorsports

(#687)
Old

Default 02-16-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Interesting an extreme cold issue could be a separate logical issue all together, coldest it ever gets around here is 35F so we haven't tested below that.
I'm in northern California... It's was colder than usual that morning but far from extreme. I don't recall this happening on the rev1 board.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#688)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 02-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-800
Terry does the wiring guage / Thickness Diameter used in the JB4 harness have an affect on the Sent signal technology ?
Should be 20gauge IIRC, just like factory wiring.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

(#689)
Old

Car: Audi rs3
Default 02-17-2020, 05:07 PM

Hi guys....

Prospective jb4 owner here in the UK for my pre-opf 2017 rs3....can any UK members confirm what issues UK members are having on their cars? I’d like to get a jb4 over a tune but reading some of these comments it doesn’t sound hopeful
(#690)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-17-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-800
Terry does the wiring guage / Thickness Diameter used in the JB4 harness have an affect on the Sent signal technology ?
No

Burger Motorsports

(#691)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-17-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boj27
Hi guys....

Prospective jb4 owner here in the UK for my pre-opf 2017 rs3....can any UK members confirm what issues UK members are having on their cars? I’d like to get a jb4 over a tune but reading some of these comments it doesn’t sound hopeful
The occasional low boost issue is an annoyance but we'll fix it sooner or later. For those who don't want to reflash the car the JB4 is the only viable option and includes a lot of great features useful even to flashed cars.

Burger Motorsports

(#692)
Old

Car: Audi rs3
Default 02-17-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
The occasional low boost issue is an annoyance but we'll fix it sooner or later. For those who don't want to reflash the car the JB4 is the only viable option and includes a lot of great features useful even to flashed cars.
Is there any ideas on what’s actually causing it? Is there certain situations where it’s seen more than others I.E on NAR cars vs EU cars or whatever? Where are you at with it right now?
(#693)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-17-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boj27
Is there any ideas on what’s actually causing it? Is there certain situations where it’s seen more than others I.E on NAR cars vs EU cars or whatever? Where are you at with it right now?
Some cars never have it, others have it every now and again, a couple guys get it more frequently. I almost never trigger it in our development TTRS. Most of the people who have a problem with it regularly post in this thread to help resolve it.

As to the specific cause and fix still unknown, seems to be EMF related, maybe of the intake temperature signal.

Burger Motorsports

(#694)
Old

Default 02-20-2020, 08:52 AM

I never look at the boost gauge in the digital cluster but I noticed some odd behavior as the car is warming up. I'm sitting at a red light and the boost is bouncing around. The bar doesn't go past the "MIN" letters but the engine is clearly under vacuum. It was also doing this while cruising in D7. This goes away after 10 minutes of driving.

Maybe this is triggering my 8A4F code? I'll monitor boost2 and log it if I see it again.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX
(#695)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2020, 09:04 AM

Could be related. You can also monitor ecu_psi to see if it's moving.

Burger Motorsports

(#696)
Old

Default 02-20-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Some cars never have it, others have it every now and again, a couple guys get it more frequently. I almost never trigger it in our development TTRS. Most of the people who have a problem with it regularly post in this thread to help resolve it.

As to the specific cause and fix still unknown, seems to be EMF related, maybe of the intake temperature signal.
What line does intake temperature come from? or does that pull from OBDII

Daily Driver: 2018 RS3, Black Optics, Dynamic+, Driver Assist, STM resonator delete, STM intercooler, CTS Turbo Intake, EMD Springs/Swaybars, Girodisc Rotors, Carbotech pads, 034 goodies everywhere.
Tow-Vehicle: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland, 4x4 + Hemi

Past:
2000 3.8L Mustang - All bolt ons, 8.8 rear conversion
2007 Honda Accord - I had a moment of “sensible-ness”
2011 BMW 335D - Custom intake, JBD
2014 Audi S4 - Intake, Chipwerke, Couple of VCDS mods
(#697)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2020, 06:01 PM

Read via OBDII, but the ECU reads it off the TMAP sensor the JB4 is intercepting.

Burger Motorsports

(#698)
Old

Default 02-20-2020, 06:43 PM

My car has been parked for several hours. I was curious see what the boost would read if I turn on ignition/engine off. The boost went up and down a few times. Almost half way but didn't last long.
I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can get the JB4 app to connect quick enough for logging.

So...I guess without vacuum the erratic boost would read higher.

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX

Last edited by tegxsi; 02-20-2020 at 07:00 PM..
(#699)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-20-2020, 09:30 PM

Interesting, that could be an indication of our issue. If boost is moving out of spec when it's not supposed to be, for example.

Burger Motorsports

(#700)
Old

Default 02-20-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting, that could be an indication of our issue. If boost is moving out of spec when it's not supposed to be, for example.
Funny thing is that I don't get the no boost condition as often as I used to. I haven't thoroughly tested the new board I received back in October. I only had the JB4 on the car for about 1.5 weeks then my car went in and out of the dealership multiple times for a separate issue.

From what I can see this weirdness is happening on a cold engine. It's too bad JB4 can't display vacuum so we can see the whole picture. I know JB4 can't handle negative values. Would it be possible to display/log vacuum under a different gauge/parameter with positive values?

2018 Audi RS3
2013 Mazdaspeed3
2007 Acura TSX