N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2015 f32 435i
Default Good intercooler/cp combo for N55 - 07-09-2017, 08:12 PM

Title, mods in sig. So a couple things, I don't plan on ever tracking the car, and am on a budget. Someone local has an evolution racewerks intercooler with a few thousand miles on it for a good price but still more expensive than anything else I've looked at.. I've also looked into vrsf intercoolers but what caught my eye is the Phoenix intercooler on the bms site. I'm assuming it's a Chinese knockoff, anyone have any experience with these? Also I've heard of fitment issues with mismatch branded intercooler/cp setups. Any insight would be great.

[SOLD] '15 435i - M Sport Brakes, BMW 19" 407 style wheels, Track/Handling, Tech Package, HUD, Auto
Mods: JB4 w/ EWG/FF wires, maps 2/5/7, AFE intake, ER 4" kitless, hankooks
'03 330ci - Titanium Silver, Sportline, Auto
Mods: Stock

Instagram: @Jb435i
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQs...ylVwzAmJLCmbA?
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 07-09-2017, 08:20 PM

I've heard the phoenix stuff was alright, not quite sure though. Alot of users say its a pretty good clone of a reputable IC brand and fitment is good.

I used an ER IC + their charge ***** which obviously fit perfectly.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#3)
Old

Car: 2013 335i sportline
Default 07-09-2017, 08:32 PM

I have a phoenix ic and s vrsf cp. they both do their job good for the price.
(#4)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM

I have a Rev9 IC with an ER CP. Wagner knockoff and it works fine, no complaints. IC will be coming off in a couple weeks if you want it. CP I'm not parting with.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550i xDrive
2018 Silver Equinox LT 2.0T
(#5)
Old

Car: 335 cpe
Default 07-10-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike
Title, mods in sig. So a couple things, I don't plan on ever tracking the car, and am on a budget. Someone local has an evolution racewerks intercooler with a few thousand miles on it for a good price but still more expensive than anything else I've looked at.. I've also looked into vrsf intercoolers but what caught my eye is the Phoenix intercooler on the bms site. I'm assuming it's a Chinese knockoff, anyone have any experience with these? Also I've heard of fitment issues with mismatch branded intercooler/cp setups. Any insight would be great.
This is personal preference, and I am sure that BMS feels the same way. Why spend all that money on an intercooler and charge pipe, when you can put the BMS meth injection kit on the car and pick up about 7 times the amount of power with all the same cooling benefits as the intercooler.

Just a thought.
(#6)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 07-10-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19
This is personal preference, and I am sure that BMS feels the same way. Why spend all that money on an intercooler and charge pipe, when you can put the BMS meth injection kit on the car and pick up about 7 times the amount of power with all the same cooling benefits as the intercooler.

Just a thought.
Because meth gets used up. An intercooler is always there. Meth is like nitrous, when it's empty, you got nothing. Plus, some of us don't want a flammable liquid inside our cars.

Mike Levy
(#7)
Old

Car: 2014 335i
Default 07-10-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
If you don't want that ER local, pass me along their info. I'd pick it up.
(#8)
Old

Car: 2015 F32 435i
Default 07-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Can anyone confirm perfect fit with Wagner EVO 2 Performance FMIC + VRSF CP? (F32/N55/RWD)
(#9)
Old

Default 07-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Because meth gets used up. An intercooler is always there. Meth is like nitrous, when it's empty, you got nothing. Plus, some of us don't want a flammable liquid inside our cars.
The stealth meth tank is about 3.5 gallons, so it would last over a month for someone that drives normally, it doesn't take up trunk space, and is about as "dangerously flammable" as carrying a jug of washer fluid in your car.
(#10)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 07-10-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The stealth meth tank is about 3.5 gallons, so it would last over a month for someone that drives normally, it doesn't take up trunk space, and is about as "dangerously flammable" as carrying a jug of washer fluid in your car.
Its still something that needs to be filled up, so its a continuous expense. Not everyone can use that tank, and methanol is more flammable than washer fluid ( I won't carry that either).

Mike Levy
(#11)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Its still something that needs to be filled up, so its a continuous expense. Not everyone can use that tank, and methanol is more flammable than washer fluid ( I won't carry that either).
Depends on mix ratio. Normal washer fluid is about 30% meth 70% water. Boost juice is 49% meth 50% water, which is more flammable. Then those that run 100% meth are at the highest risk as it's very flammable at 100% meth.

(#12)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
If you take the price of the Meth injection, install and filling up the tank for lets say 3 years (average ownership I'd say). I guarantee the cost is lower then an intercooler and charge pipe. But hey it's not for everyone.

I think your concern about the flammability of meth is extremely exaggerated. MOST people... probably over 75% use a water/meth blend and not straight methanol .....if you threw a lit match into a blend of 50/50 or close to it (like with washer fluid) or boost juice, it would go out like throwing it into a bottle of water/washer fluid. An incident with ignition of methanol blend, vapors, or containers is HIGHLY unlikely. You probably have a better chance of getting hit by lightning.

On top of that, the system is a sealed system with the exception of a check valve if you choose that option and the check valve is only to release excess pressure..... it doesn't continuously release vapors 100% of the time.

Like I said, I am not trying to sell you on meth, I am just telling you and the rest of the forum members reading it what the facts are. There are a lot of misconceptions about meth injection. Mainly because people are not familiar with it. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.
(#13)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
If you take the price of the Meth injection, install and filling up the tank for lets say 3 years (average ownership I'd say). I guarantee the cost is lower then an intercooler and charge pipe. But hey it's not for everyone.

I think your concern about the flammability of meth is extremely exaggerated. MOST people... probably over 75% use a water/meth blend and not straight methanol .....if you threw a lit match into a blend of 50/50 or close to it (like with washer fluid) or boost juice, it would go out like throwing it into a bottle of water/washer fluid. An incident with ignition of methanol blend, vapors, or containers is HIGHLY unlikely. You probably have a better chance of getting hit by lightning.

On top of that, the system is a sealed system with the exception of a check valve if you choose that option and the check valve is only to release excess pressure..... it doesn't continuously release vapors 100% of the time.

Like I said, I am not trying to sell you on meth, I am just telling you and the rest of the forum members reading it what the facts are. There are a lot of misconceptions about meth injection. Mainly because people are not familiar with it. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.
Last time i checked it was about $1000 for the bms kit and installation. Then filling the tank every other month is $120+ a year. A good fmic is $400-500 and cp is about $200. Installation is easy but install cost shouldnt be too bad. Id say its a draw. Doesnt matter if he gets meth or fmic he still needs a cp....
(#14)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 07-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicmadek
Last time i checked it was about $1000 for the bms kit and installation. Then filling the tank every other month is $120+ a year. A good fmic is $400-500 and cp is about $200. Installation is easy but install cost shouldnt be too bad. Id say its a draw. Doesnt matter if he gets meth or fmic he still needs a cp....
+1

I paid under $400 for my IC, and about $200 for my CP. That's less than a meth kit, and no extra expenses ever.

Mike Levy
(#15)
Old

Car: '11 335xi M Sport
Default 07-11-2017, 02:01 PM

I run the active Autowerks 5" race with the Phoenix charge pipe. Fits great as long as you use the AA coupler and not the one that comes with the Phoenix racing pipe. The Cpe charge pipe fit really well too. ER charge pipe did not fit well and I actually rubbed through the metal (friction against the bracket that has the vacuum canister).
(#16)
Old

Car: '11 335xi M Sport
Default 07-11-2017, 02:14 PM

I run the active Autowerks 5" race with the Phoenix charge pipe. Fits great as long as you use the AA coupler and not the one that comes with the Phoenix racing pipe. The Cpe charge pipe fit really well too. ER charge pipe did not fit well and I actually rubbed through the metal (friction against the bracket that holds the vacuum canister).
(#17)
Old

Car: 2015 F22 M235i
Default 07-11-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
+1

I paid under $400 for my IC, and about $200 for my CP. That's less than a meth kit, and no extra expenses ever.
I agree with the point you're trying to get across. However, you're forgetting that the WMI kit supplies 100+ octane with the proper W/M ratio which the IC alone obviously can't do. That's a pretty good benefit over the course of a year or two when you compare the WMI against the IC.

2014 335i xDrive / Silver / ZF8 / M-Sport / 400M / BM3 2H Map / xHP Stage 3 / ATM FMIC / H&R Sports / VRSF **/CP
(#18)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 07-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i
I agree with the point you're trying to get across. However, you're forgetting that the WMI kit supplies 100+ octane with the proper W/M ratio which the IC alone obviously can't do. That's a pretty good benefit over the course of a year or two when you compare the WMI against the IC.
No, it can't. I get about 98AKI with E85 and 93 mixed. But since the HPFP is maxed and turbo is pretty close anyway, more octane won't necessarily make more power.

Mike Levy
(#19)
Old

Default 07-11-2017, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the responses guys I appreciate it a lot. So the thing is I'm not going to keep the car for more than another year, so at least for me, methanol is a step too far. I know it's not as dangerous as something like nitrous, I do consider the added hassle of maintaining the tank a bit too much, I prefer going to the local e85 station for fuel supplementation for higher maps. If I didn't have any e85 within reasonable driving distance im sure I would've gone with methanol to run higher boost. I'm thinking of going with the ER intercooler as it's a pretty good hookup but something's telling me to go with Phoenix since I won't be going any further when it comes to turbo upgrades or PI. Any insight on what should be there in ER fmic package with the sale as he is selling it to me used? (Peripheral parts/bolts/clamps that would be included if I bought it directly from ER.) Also any suggestions on charge*****? The stock one looks plastic and weak seems out of place, but would prefer to spend around $1-200 on the cp, but perfect fitment is priority. Thanks again for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
I've heard the phoenix stuff was alright, not quite sure though. Alot of users say its a pretty good clone of a reputable IC brand and fitment is good.

I used an ER IC + their charge ***** which obviously fit perfectly.
How's the IAT compared to stock? I'm sure the m2 comes with better cooling than normal n55's stock anyway, but how does the er compare to your old oem one?

Quote:
Mike I can't pm you for some reason, id love some extra info on your intercooler you're taking off in the next couple weeks.

[SOLD] '15 435i - M Sport Brakes, BMW 19" 407 style wheels, Track/Handling, Tech Package, HUD, Auto

Last edited by LikeMike; 07-11-2017 at 06:30 PM..
(#20)
Old

Car: M235i
Default 07-11-2017, 06:44 PM

I have the AA Intercooler and the VRSF CP and im more than happy with it.
(#21)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 07-11-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Mike I can't pm you for some reason, id love some extra info on your intercooler you're taking off in the next couple weeks.
I have PMs turned off. I truly hate them. Here's the intercooler I have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rev9-FMIC-Fr...-/161648865930

Mike Levy
(#22)
Old
Demigod

Default 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I have PMs turned off. I truly hate them. Here's the intercooler I have. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rev9-FMIC-Fr...-/161648865930
Woah that's VRSF money, and VRSF has a life time warranty.

(#23)
Old

Default 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM

So an quick update, the guy promised to hold on to the er ic for me, but when I contacted him to meet up, he had already sold it. To top it all off he tried to sell me 2 random intakes instead
I'm thinking of going with the Phoenix intercooler on the bms site since I'm staying stock turbo and the value is good. Will stock cp fit on it or should I just Upgrade it?

(#24)
Old

Default 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
So an quick update, the guy promised to hold on to the er ic for me, but when I contacted him to meet up, he had already sold it. To top it all off he tried to sell me 2 random intakes instead
I'm thinking of going with the Phoenix intercooler on the bms site since I'm staying stock turbo and the value is good. Will stock cp fit on it or should I just Upgrade it?
Phoenix or cts is my recommendation

2013 335i sportline pwg 8at~jb4 iso~e40~bms oil cooler valve~bms intake~wagner c-less~ap catback~phoenix ic~gfb dv+~pure inlet pipe~er tic pipe~vrsf cp~ngk's @ .022~h&r super sports~437m
(#25)
Old

Car: 435i
Default 07-27-2017, 07:06 PM

Nice discussion. I learned a lot about meth. That's why I'm on the fence right now. Fmic or meth or both?!

E85 is around the corner from me but my issue is I can boost up to 21psi on an e30 mix but my trims are maxed out and I get lean up top. And that's with the Florida heat at 95 degrees. Winter time it will even be more fuel hungry. I guess my question is is it even worth the bother with my trims already maxed out I would probialy need a Flash like bootmod to safely stay at 20/21 psi all day long right? Getting meth or an fmic will just make my engine more fuel hungry and without more fuel fmic or meth is pointless or would meth give me the fuel I needed in its own way?

Performance: 2014 435i : F33 (convertible) : 8AT : BMS Intake : VSRF Charge Pipe - Down Pipe & FMIC : JB4 Stage 2 : FF Wires : EWG Wires : 40% E85 : XHP Stage 3: E85 BEF

Dragy: "Spammer" 12.72@111.70 | 0-60 4.71