JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Kia Stinger GT2
Default Need Help with JB4 Tune - having lots of trouble - 08-08-2021, 02:37 PM

Hello , I was prescribed to go here from stinger forums after having some weirdness in my stinger.

I am going to post all of my posts here and hope it helps understand my situation.

1st Post -

I recently bought the 450 whp kit.

I have installed everything that the kit has provided exactly as the videos and guides have shown me but I am not getting any better results.

I ran some test in my car before I installed anything and was running 4.94 with someone in the car as my fastest time.

After installation I was able to get a 5.16 as my fastest time.
I double checked all of the parts and they all look correct.
So my only line of thought is that I must have an error within my jb4 unit where it is not telling my engine to do whatever it needs to do.

So I would love to get this resolved and Ill state the circumstances along with the runs

4.94 - no mapping or installation of parts - additional person in the car - 93 octane

5.02 - bms intakes , jb4 unit , gapped provided spark plugs, oil catch can - map 3 - 93 octane with 1 extra person in the car

So I kicked him out of the car
4.78 - So everything above without the extra person in the car

I have also updated the app and unit in the car to jb4_p21_KIA-v22-t4.hex
App build 2.5.4 (9748)
Firmware version 21/22//5

I have also added the logs from when I was testing this.

Would love to know what to do to fix this problem.
Attached file was 1st tests

Thanks

Follow up to first post.
2nd post -

from another user -
You're in Map 3, and at 100% throttle you're pulling an unsafe amount of timing.
Log Map 1, and let us see it.
Do not use continue to use Map 3.

Response -
Alrighty, Here is my map 1 run with a couple of pulls. @BadTrainDriver
Thanks for the help
attached file was 2nd tests

3rd Post -

from another user - Timing is still terrible. What fuel? What spark plugs and gap?

response - e30 mix for fuel , denso spark plugs gapped at .022

follow up response - could tightness of spark plugs be the answer? it was my first time putting them in and spacing them . I was thorough but maybe one of them, was more loose than the others? @another user

a different user pops in and says -
fuel is bad I guess. just try 93 octane and don't mix anything in. try to empty the tank as much as possible and get gas at a good station like shell or Exxon or something. I would also try to reset the ECU. Take the keys out, open the trunk, lock the car up, wait 10 minutes and then disconnect the battery for 15 minuts or so, then reconnect. Do this after you get a full tank of new gas, no e30. Try Map 1 and post up the log. That's the worst timing I've seen. Either that or the plugs are not gapped properly at .022, or both.

response - Ok sounds good , ill run through all of these things later tonight

from the newest user - yes, check the plugs to make sure they are tight, but may be worth checking the gap too if you are going to go to the trouble. someone has posted torque specs in the past. Ii think it's like 15-18 lbs or something.

4th post -
from me -
Alrighty , so I rechecked all my spark plugs
They are solid , except one of them was not fully tightened
I did not check the gapping on the plugs because I already spent a lot of time on that .

So I undid all of them and put them all to 17 torque whatevers

I still have e30 in my car but currently running out as we speak , I would love if anyone has any idea to siphon it out quicker

ill attach some of my recent runs on different maps with this bad fuel

I had a couple of very quick runs on a map 3/4

little history , I just got this car back from the mechanic , where it sat for 3 months

got it really low and then put more e30 mix in on top of 1.5 gallons of 3 month old gas

im pretty positive this is the issue ,
How much does this affect it though?

anywho
Currently getting the worst possible gas milage to empty this tank .
attached file - 3rd tests

a totally new person pops in and says -
Stop using map 3. You're going to break something at this rate. Until you run out that gas, you probably should just keep it at map 0 and disable the JB4. At best, don't do anything above map 1. Also, running the car when it's almost empty isn't good for it either. Find decent gas like Exxon/Shell or something, reset the ECU again, drive the car a bit(like a couple of days) normally, so the ECU can unlearn old gas, and log a map 1 pull. If that looks better, then go from there.

response from me -
Ill just run the car stock for right now until I am down to a few miles of gas then ill put some good 93 octane in it .

ill drive it for another day and then reset ecu by turning off the car with the key away from it for 20 minutes .
Sound right ?

5th Post -
from me -
Alrighty ,

So last night I was able to drive around and get the car down to pretty low . Drove it this morning to empty and then filled it up with shells 93 nitro

I then went back home and left the keys away from the car for 15 minutes

I unplugged the battery and started working on the spark plugs
I checked every single one of them
Their gap and their torque are both as perfect as I can get them

check the other small wires connected to the box and made sure they were really well seated in the

15-18 torque
.022 gapped plugs
After checking them all , plugged all if them back in and then reconnected the battery

After doing that , I went out to my local spot to warm up the engine and do a couple runs in map 0 and 1

temp outside is 95-98

best run on map 0 was a 4.85 / 4.91
best run on map 1 was a 4.63 / 4.68

I posted the file from jb4 down below to help yall see anything .

what do yall think I need to do next?

how much is outside temp affecting results?

How long should I drive the car with the much better gas to see much better results?

attached file - 4th tests

So that concludes these events. I see that i could have just posted the link which is here - JB4 Not making a difference after install | Kia Stinger Forum

but incase you didn't want to do much . I put it all here.

I would love to be educated on all of this and would love some help making my car as fast as i can given the circumstances

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 1st tests.csv (383.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: csv 2nd tests.csv (181.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: csv 3rd tests.csv (264.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: csv 4th tests.csv (275.5 KB, 42 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 2019 AWDGT2
Default 08-08-2021, 02:56 PM

OK, I just finished reading this whole thread top to bottom. I opened up your first log named 1st test and I noticed you have the wrong firmare loaded. Unless you have an Acura NSX, you installed the wrong one. Photo attached.
You should have a 21/x not a 91/x
Attached Images

(#3)
Old

Default 08-08-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDGT2
OK, I just finished reading this whole thread top to bottom. I opened up your first log named 1st test and I noticed you have the wrong firmare loaded. Unless you have an Acura NSX, you installed the wrong one. Photo attached.
You should have a 21/x not a 91/x

My app version is 21/22//5 right now . I updated the car after the first run i am pretty sure.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-08-2021, 03:16 PM

OK I just looked at the rest, wheww... first, your logs are long and confusing. You are combining logs and switching maps on the fly. So in just one log you have a Map 1, Map 0, Map1, Map 2, Map3 and Map4
I don't think you understand how difficult it is to asses a log that has 5 different maps in it.
Second, by your own text, several folks recommended to not go map 3 or above. Maybe these are logs from before? If so I apologize, but stay in either map0 or Map1 for us to give you a good assessment. Make each map it's own so the graph isn't cluttered with several, we have no way of knowing when you switched unless we spend an unreasonable amount of time digging and flipping back and forth between the graph and excel.
3rd from what I could tell, your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pull on the last log you sent look good with no major issues. I have a feeling that's when you reset the ECU? If I could get a good Map1 of a few gears from a slow roll I can do better.
(#5)
Old

Default 08-08-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
OK I just looked at the rest, wheww... first, your logs are long and confusing. You are combining logs and switching maps on the fly. So in just one log you have a Map 1, Map 0, Map1, Map 2, Map3 and Map4
I don't think you understand how difficult it is to asses a log that has 5 different maps in it.
Second, by your own text, several folks recommended to not go map 3 or above. Maybe these are logs from before? If so I apologize, but stay in either map0 or Map1 for us to give you a good assessment. Make each map it's own so the graph isn't cluttered with several, we have no way of knowing when you switched unless we spend an unreasonable amount of time digging and flipping back and forth between the graph and excel.
3rd from what I could tell, your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pull on the last log you sent look good with no major issues. I have a feeling that's when you reset the ECU? If I could get a good Map1 of a few gears from a slow roll I can do better.
ok sounds good , ill get you a map 1 run asap.
(#6)
Old

Default 08-08-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Here is the run I got for you . Map 1 only.
started with a few gears from a slow roll.

Let me know what you think . Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M1_R1_210808_1726.csv (233.2 KB, 47 views)
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-08-2021, 04:19 PM

First things first, 0-60 is not a useful performance measure. It's all about launch and little to do with power. If you're using that to gauge your performance you're going to be going in circles. Pick a metric that is not launch specific like 40-120mph, 1/8th mile trap speed, 1/4 mile trap speed, etc. Are you RWD or AWD?

Next the fuel quality looks awful. You can try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 5 min to see if that reduces the timing corrections. But I'd try another gas station or better yet mix in 5 gallons of E85 to boost your octane up.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 08-08-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
First things first, 0-60 is not a useful performance measure. It's all about launch and little to do with power. If you're using that to gauge your performance you're going to be going in circles. Pick a metric that is not launch specific like 40-120mph, 1/8th mile trap speed, 1/4 mile trap speed, etc. Are you RWD or AWD?

Next the fuel quality looks awful. You can try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 5 min to see if that reduces the timing corrections. But I'd try another gas station or better yet mix in 5 gallons of E85 to boost your octane up.
understood, ill start doing 8th mile trap speed. that's a good idea.

I am RWD.

How can you tell in the jb4 app what quality your gas is?

What are ideal timing numbers and where do I see that in the app?

Thanks abunch
(#9)
Old

Default 08-08-2021, 06:36 PM

Several educational things going on.

Terry is correct (he always is) lol. A 0-60 back to back between maps is not a good measurement which brings me to my next point.

Heat, turbos make a lot of it. If you do a map 1, then turn and burn a Map 2 and get the same time it's more than likely you haven't let it cool off. See the graph below. Your Inlet Air Temp (IAT) was 136 deg. That's the temp your motor was inhaling. No bueno. No doubt your car was heat soaked at that time.
Heat also plays a hug effect on timing, if you're not running a higher octane or a good quality octane, the fuel will pre-detonate in your cylinders. That's knock and the car will pull timing. See graph. The rainbow on the bottom of the graph is not good. It points to 1 of 4 things or a combo. Poor quality gas, ill gapped or bad plugs, or not enough octane, or too much heat. Some are self explained on how to fix them, but meth is an option. It ill increase octane and cool the IAT and charge temps and cylider temps.
Download the software here. Kia Hyundai JB4 - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion But as an intrim, the App has a graph function you can select when you click the log.
When you pull 3 degrees or more consistently like you are, Im leaning towards fuel because you already said you checked and double checked your plugs. Go back to an E30 mix and upload another Map1 once you get sorted.
Attached Images