N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: N54 335i
Default E85 help!! - 12-28-2019, 11:45 PM

Hello everybody, so today I pulled all my injectors and cleaned all them, after I decided to run E85 for the first time. I accidentally went up to 3 gals and stopped. I had about a gallon of gas in the tank then filled the E85 then the gas I did about 13.5 gallons of 91. I have a JB4 running on Map 5, I finish up and drive down the street then I got a message saying my motor is running to hot. I check my JB4 and it says my water temp is running at 240... I put on the E85 display on my JB4 and it says E85 = 55? Does that mean itís E55? And Iím running to much E85? My car seems very laggy and doesnít really feel good at all! Does anybody have an idea?? Im going to let the car sit over night and hopefully it mixes. Maybe I did something wrong? Someone please help! Thanks guys.

problem...
so I found out today that my water pump happened to take a dump on me as soon as i put E85 in... what are the chances �� fan is on 24/7 on max and I tried to bleed my system and nothing. It just makes a horrible noise. Lucky me!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-12-28 17_11_22_Map-5.csv (21.8 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Ifreezebmx562; 12-29-2019 at 11:09 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 12-29-2019, 07:39 AM

Wow, you've mashed a lot into one thread. Here is my personal, non-mechanic, N54 DIY guy opinion:

- You've done major work to your car recently, don't discount any of that OR pure coincidence with current symptoms of overheating and general lumpiness

- JB4 does not read ethanol unless you have an ethanol sensor in place and hooked up to your JB4 (you would know if you did this). Readings are NOT actual ethanol % without a sensor

- 3 gallons of e85 is not too much ethanol for a full tank, it should run better with ethanol. Above 30% or so ethanol you will need a back end flash (BEF), Pump for 30% or e85 for 40% - 50% ethanol for best performance

-Keep working at it, if you can remove your injectors for cleaning, you are DIY enough to figure this out and fix it

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP
(#3)
Old

Default 12-29-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckmc
Wow, you've mashed a lot into one thread. Here is my personal, non-mechanic, N54 DIY guy opinion:

- You've done major work to your car recently, don't discount any of that OR pure coincidence with current symptoms of overheating and general lumpiness

- JB4 does not read ethanol unless you have an ethanol sensor in place and hooked up to your JB4 (you would know if you did this). Readings are NOT actual ethanol % without a sensor

- 3 gallons of e85 is not too much ethanol for a full tank, it should run better with ethanol. Above 30% or so ethanol you will need a back end flash (BEF), Pump for 30% or e85 for 40% - 50% ethanol for best performance

-Keep working at it, if you can remove your injectors for cleaning, you are DIY enough to figure this out and fix it
Oh wow, I thought on map 5 it auto tunes and adjust to the E85🙄. Iíve done a lot of work to my car but I was just wondering if anybody had ever heard of whatís going on? Doesnít make sense to me lol. But thank you for the help
(#4)
Old

Car: E60 535i
Default 12-29-2019, 08:49 PM

I thought on map 5 it auto tunes and adjust to the E85

Map 5 auto tune adjusts to the beneficial effects of added ethanol but the actual ethanol content is not read by the tune. It's a subtle but important thing to know. The actual ethanol content is useful to know when to add an appropriate Back End Flash or to understand where your fuel system will max out. BMS has a simple test tube type ethanol testing kit.

I check my ethanol content after every fill up and calculate for 45%. I find close to 50% and my trims and fuel pressures start to falter. Dipping less than 40% and my timing is not as good and performance drops. To me it's part of the hobby of tuning the N54. Keep reading and testing and posting. Good luck.

N54
FBO
E40
JB4
MHD
XHP
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-29-2019, 08:53 PM

Attach CSV log, not a photo of the CSV.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 12-29-2019, 09:10 PM

Sucks about the water pump, but it does seem to happen randomly.

As far as your e85 question, every car is different, but assuming your high / low pressure fuel pumps aren’t in horrible shape, 3 gallons of e85 wouldn’t be “too much.”

Once you get the water pump fixed, throw up a log & we can see what’s going on with the car feeling laggy.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 12-29-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Attach CSV log, not a photo of the CSV.
Hello Terry, I attached a log for you and Dave to view if you would like! Thank you!

Last edited by Ifreezebmx562; 12-30-2019 at 02:32 PM..
(#8)
Old

Default 12-30-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Sucks about the water pump, but it does seem to happen randomly.

As far as your e85 question, every car is different, but assuming your high / low pressure fuel pumps arenít in horrible shape, 3 gallons of e85 wouldnít be ďtoo much.Ē

Once you get the water pump fixed, throw up a log & we can see whatís going on with the car feeling laggy.
Hey Dave, I posted a log on my original post, I believe my car was lagging due to my car overheating bc of the pump being a fail safe probably. I guess weíll see when I get my new pump what happens! Thanks for the help!
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-30-2019, 04:06 PM

Few things you’ll want to do- enable 6cyl timing so we can see what’s going on, on multiple cylinders.

Also, your LPFP, looks to be touching the 50s, with that little e85 in the tank- you might want to upgrade that next, if you wish to continue using e85

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 12-30-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Few things youíll want to do- enable 6cyl timing so we can see whatís going on, on multiple cylinders.

Also, your LPFP, looks to be touching the 50s, with that little e85 in the tank- you might want to upgrade that next, if you wish to continue using e85
Ok! Iíll enable that right now! Iím still pretty new to all then JB4 stuff only had it for about 2 weeks. Also I kinda figured it would be time for a new LPFP itís stock pump from 2008! Thanks for the help!!!
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-01-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifreezebmx562
Ok! Iíll enable that right now! Iím still pretty new to all then JB4 stuff only had it for about 2 weeks. Also I kinda figured it would be time for a new LPFP itís stock pump from 2008! Thanks for the help!!!
No worries

Check out our stickied posts should help get you up to speed

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: BMW 335I
Default 01-08-2020, 10:29 PM

OP I had the same issue with my stock lpfp, put in a fuel it stage 2 lpfp with upgraded E85 fuel lines and bluetooth ethanol sensor and was running up to E 57 before slight timing and fueling issues running stock turbos at the time. Also had JB4+MHD BEF FBO