N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 2008 535i Turbos Blown - 06-04-2014, 06:15 PM

So sadly this past week I started my car and immediately noticed a loss in power when I hit the gas. After accelerating harder the limp message came on, later I opened my hood up and heard a very annoying "tick tick tick tick tick" noise. I ran a scan of the codes and it is reading 30FF low pressure, from what I'm suspecting the turbo has gone out because I could not detect any leaks. I called BMW and scheduled an appointment this weekend and the guy quoted $5200 to replace the turbos, this total is not including tax. The turbos however are under warranty "IF" and only IF the malfunction was caused by malfunctioning wastegates on the turbo itself. They said it would be a $149 diagnostic fee to check if this was the case. So I'm wondering how the hell can they figure out if it is because of the wastegate unless they pull the actual turbos off and physically examine the wastegates on the turbos, I don't see how a SCAN can determine this, sounds like a little BS.
(#2)
Old

Default 06-05-2014, 03:10 PM

I'm not sure how they will be able to tell either without taking the turbo's out, but I'm sure BMW has their ways.
Good luck man, hopefully the issue was caused by the waste-gate! Usually there would be a rattling sound from the waste-gate before it breaks though.
How many miles are on your 535?

2007 335i - JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, PI + Stage 3 LPFP, 100% E85, BMS DCI, VRSF **, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV, MMP inlets, VRSF aluminum outlets, XHP Stage 3, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms
2008 535i
N54
(#3)
Old

Car: 535Ix
Default 07-06-2014, 06:28 PM

I had the same loss of pressure but my 30FF came from the MAF being loose from the plastic pipe--no idea this code could run the gamout from that to a blown turbo...
(#4)
Old

Car: 08 BMW 535i
Default 07-07-2014, 12:48 PM

That could cause from a wastegate rattle if you're loosing pressure. For sure they will replace your turbo's. make sure they show you the old turbos to verify. I just had my turbos replaced coz of pressure lost due to wastegate rattle that eventually had given up.
(#5)
Old

Car: 2008 535i
Default 07-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Update?
(#6)
Old

Default 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Sorry forgot to update, got my car back from dealer and they waived the diagnostic fee since they couldn't find what was wrong with my car, they did a smoke test and did not find a leak. The only other thing they said they could do was to pull my turbos to see if they or the wastegate on them had malfunctioned, but labor to do this was close to $1300. I took my car to an Indy shop down the street and he confirmed that my car was making boost and he couldn't see what was wrong either. So at this point I have no freaking idea what is causing the check engine light to come on, I'm guessing the wastegates malfunctioning but that is the $1300 question.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2010 535
Default 07-15-2014, 07:44 PM

any sound clips?
(#8)
Old

Default 07-17-2014, 11:22 AM

I would replace boost solenoids, all vacuum lines, tmap sensors and PVC system components. If this doesn't work then time for new turbos, or you have a very small leak somewhere ( no looking hard enough ). Are you past 82k?
(#9)
Old

Default 07-18-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Sorry forgot to update, got my car back from dealer and they waived the diagnostic fee since they couldn't find what was wrong with my car, they did a smoke test and did not find a leak. The only other thing they said they could do was to pull my turbos to see if they or the wastegate on them had malfunctioned, but labor to do this was close to $1300. I took my car to an Indy shop down the street and he confirmed that my car was making boost and he couldn't see what was wrong either. So at this point I have no freaking idea what is causing the check engine light to come on, I'm guessing the wastegates malfunctioning but that is the $1300 question.
Why can't they do the drill bit test? That doesn't require them to pull the turbos.

'09 AW 535i
-FBO w/custom Cobb E45 map, Fuel_it Stg2 LPFP and Performance Gearing LSD

(#10)
Old

Car: 535IX
Default 07-22-2014, 03:05 PM

I get the code a lot during mid throttle. I'm choosing to blame it on some sticky bypass valves. Try to take them out and clean them up. They could be caked with some gunky oil deposits.
(#11)
Old

Car: E60 535xi
Default 11-29-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian_535i
So sadly this past week I started my car and immediately noticed a loss in power when I hit the gas. After accelerating harder the limp message came on, later I opened my hood up and heard a very annoying "tick tick tick tick tick" noise. I ran a scan of the codes and it is reading 30FF low pressure, from what I'm suspecting the turbo has gone out because I could not detect any leaks. I called BMW and scheduled an appointment this weekend and the guy quoted $5200 to replace the turbos, this total is not including tax. The turbos however are under warranty "IF" and only IF the malfunction was caused by malfunctioning wastegates on the turbo itself. They said it would be a $149 diagnostic fee to check if this was the case. So I'm wondering how the hell can they figure out if it is because of the wastegate unless they pull the actual turbos off and physically examine the wastegates on the turbos, I don't see how a SCAN can determine this, sounds like a little BS.
Dealer told me i had blown turbos, 30FF is the code no power at all until one day i was on my way to work and saw all this smoke coming out my exhaust... check the vid.... nasty sound http://youtu.be/URv4snhVf58