N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 e90 335xi
Default AFR Issue - Delta between banks... HELP - 02-02-2018, 10:56 AM

Alright guys - I've had Steve at BMS take a look at a couple logs for me and here's the back story... I had a *P fix installed that he presumed was causing an AFR delta between my two banks on the first log I sent him. I removed the *P fix, reset my adaptations, and was hoping all would be well. I took the attached log earlier and I've been monitoring my AFR ratios via the app... they tend to be consistently 1-2 units apart (ie. AFR1 is 13.5, AFR2 is 14.5-15.5).

My understanding is that an AFR delta between the two banks can be pretty bad for the motor... Steve warned me of a blown motor and to drive easy until it's sorted out suggesting a hardware issue as the culprit (intake manifold leak, exhaust leak, injector, etc). The guys at BMS are always great so can't thank them enough. Opening this up to the forums though as well.

So my questions are this...
  • What is the safest way to drive my car now (put back in stock map, etc)
  • Where do I start in terms of troubleshooting this?
  • Does my log show anything else I need to be concerned with?

Car Information:
- 2010 335i N54 xDrive
- Mods - Jb4 running Map 2 with MHD pump BEF, ***less dwnpipes, 7" FMIC, charge pipe (upper and lower), AFE DCI, Forge DV's
- Fuel - 93oct
- Codes - None
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-02-02 07_18_31.csv (13.0 KB, 53 views)

2010 e90 335i xDrive - M-Sport - Premium - Cold Weather
JB4 - AFE DCI - VRSF 3" ** - VRSF 7" FMIC - Cobb CP - Bilstein B6/Eibach Pro-Kit - Staggered Klutch KM-20 19"

Last edited by seanm135; 02-02-2018 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Added mods and fuel info
(#2)
Old

Default 02-02-2018, 03:16 PM

UPDATE - I re-cleared my adaptations and both AFRs seem equal now when monitoring on the app.

To be honest I'm not sure if I ever cleared them before because I can't recall if the car was running or not when I selected 1/7.

JB4 - AFE DCI - VRSF 3" ** - VRSF 7" FMIC - Cobb CP - Bilstein B6/Eibach Pro-Kit - Staggered Klutch KM-20 19"
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 02-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#4)
Old

Default 02-22-2018, 05:48 AM

Alright so unfortunately it doesn't seem like this issue is 100% resolved. Basically, after I reset adaptations the car runs amazing and perfectly smooth.... AFRs mirror one another perfectly and trims stay consistent.

After about 7-10 days of daily driving, the car will feel less smooth and I'll notice that the AFRs differ by 1-2 and trims are more erratic. I took a log this morning (attached) but it may not be very good because I had to let off the throttle halfway through due to someone cutting me off.

One important NEW piece of information... when this happens, the car will throw a 2C31 code most of the time (Lambda probe in front of catalytic converter 2, trimming control) when read with the JNB4 (does not show up on dash). I've looked up the code and found the threads linked below that have some good information.

Rushan's Thread
Rleroy4298's Thread

So here are my questions:
  1. There's no harm in resetting my adaptations when I notice this happens until I can get it resolved right? In other words, resetting adaptations too much (say weekly or every other week) isn't a concern correct?
  2. The threads seem to indicate one of three potential causes... faulty 02 sensor, MHD BEF settings, or Jb4 connection. Both Rushan and Rleroy4298 seemed to fix their issues by either modifying or removing the BEF. If I don't want to remove the BEF permanently, what settings do I need to look at (even though I'm running the generic PUMP flash).
  3. This weekend I'll get under the car and check the O2 sensor connections and exhaust flange connections (although no change has been made there so I don't expect to see anything). If it is an O2 sensor, which one is this code referring to? Rear O2 sensor on Bank 1?
  4. I did recently remove a ** fix so I'll check I didn't swap the yellow wires... is this the code that that would cause? I'm hoping this isn't JB4 because I don't want to switch from my JB4/MHD BEF setup but one last thing I can do is disconnect the small black subconnector correct?
Car Information:
- 2010 335i N54 xDrive
- Mods - Jb4 running Map 2 with MHD pump BEF, ***less *********, 7" FMIC, charge pipe (upper and lower), AFE DCI, Forge DV's
- Fuel - 93oct
- Codes - 2C31 will pop up sporadically after resetting adaptations
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-02-22 07_17_13.csv (8.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by seanm135; 02-22-2018 at 06:08 AM..
(#5)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Definitely sounds like O2 sensor issue, either a bad sensor, mis-calibrated sensor, and/or wiring. The rear O2's are important for the calibrations so if one is bad or the wires are switched, it can lead to issues that adaption resets will temporarily resolve. The "fix" is really bad for this and will cause these issues. Can't remember the code that is created when the wires are swapped but that is easy enough to check.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old

Default 02-22-2018, 08:21 AM

thanks Steve... will do some digging this weekend and get back here with the findings.

there's no concern with resetting adaptations too frequently (every 7-10 days) until I get it resolved is there?

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM

I would be concerned about it and probably wouldn't do much hard driving until I got it resolved.

(#8)
Old

Default 03-10-2018, 09:08 AM

alright, i replaced both rear O2 sensors with the Bosch universal ones. Reset adaptations, drove for a week, and took two 3rd gear pull logs this morning.

the AFR delta seems to be a bit better but still present no? I haven't had any misfires or codes pop up but the car did run great with both AFRs dead on immediately after resetting adaptations. is there anything else troubling in the logs?

in terms of further troubleshooting, next step I'm thinking would be check the JB4 connections and maybe unflash the BEF, and disconnect the JB4 to isolate if it's hardware versus software... thoughts?

Car Information:
- 2010 335i N54 xDrive
- Mods - Jb4 running Map 2 with MHD pump BEF, ***-less **, 7" FMIC, charge pipe (upper and lower), AFE DCI, Forge DV's
- Fuel - 93oct
- Codes - No misfires or codes that stick but I've seen 2C7F and 2C32 saved in the past few weeks
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-03-10 10_21_06.csv (11.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: csv 2018-03-10 10_17_55.csv (10.0 KB, 46 views)

(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 03-11-2018, 12:36 AM

Slight variation from bank 1 & 2, but for the most part your within .3-.5 bank to bank, not perfect, but still “ok” imo.

How does the car feel now?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#10)
Old

Default 03-11-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
Slight variation from bank 1 & 2, but for the most part your within .3-.5 bank to bank, not perfect, but still “ok” imo.

How does the car feel now?
Thanks Dave... yeah I analyzed the delta in Excel and found the same (that it was off .5 max for the most part). overall, the car feels pretty good.

that being said, I went to clean my air filters yesterday and noticed one of them had a big tear half way around the rubber seal so that could be part of it no?... An intake leak

I'll get a new air filter and I also have new plugs on the way. will post back after that. Thanks!

Last edited by seanm135; 03-11-2018 at 07:52 AM..
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm135
Thanks Dave... yeah I analyzed the delta in Excel and found the same (that it was off .5 max for the most part). overall, the car feels pretty good.

that being said, I went to clean my air filters yesterday and noticed one of them had a big tear half way around the rubber seal so that could be part of it no?... An intake leak

I'll get a new air filter and I also have new plugs on the way. will post back after that. Thanks!
Throw a new filter on there, New plugs won’t hurt.

Just keep an eye on it, if that delta grows, then it would something you’d want to circle back to.

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#12)
Old

Default 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM

alright all - I wanted to circle back and let you know what I found. So I replaced both rear O2 sensors with the Bosch universal ones... I believe this fixed my intermittent 2C32 issue but can't say for sure because that wasn't the end of the story....

After resetting adaptations and driving for a few days, my AFRs started to diverge again and I eventually threw two more codes: 2C7E and 2C6A. The 2C7E was a lambda trimming control code like the 2C32 and the 2C6A says you're O2 sensors are swapped. I had already verified the sensors were not swapped so knowing I had recently removed a ** ***, I verified I had installed the two yellow wires (pins 19, 20) correctly per the instructions but some forum research told me the instructions we're wrong.

I swapped the yellow wires (opposite of the instructions) and voila! All fixed.

I've come to realize that I've basically had some kind of AFR issue my entire ownership (from not realizing the guy I bought it from still had a ** *** installed to finally throwing it in the trash but still battling this delta). She feels like a whole new car now, running great.

(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm135
alright all - I wanted to circle back and let you know what I found. So I replaced both rear O2 sensors with the Bosch universal ones... I believe this fixed my intermittent 2C32 issue but can't say for sure because that wasn't the end of the story....

After resetting adaptations and driving for a few days, my AFRs started to diverge again and I eventually threw two more codes: 2C7E and 2C6A. The 2C7E was a lambda trimming control code like the 2C32 and the 2C6A says you're O2 sensors are swapped. I had already verified the sensors were not swapped so knowing I had recently removed a ** ***, I verified I had installed the two yellow wires (pins 19, 20) correctly per the instructions but some forum research told me the instructions we're wrong.

I swapped the yellow wires (opposite of the instructions) and voila! All fixed.

I've come to realize that I've basically had some kind of AFR issue my entire ownership (from not realizing the guy I bought it from still had a ** *** installed to finally throwing it in the trash but still battling this delta). She feels like a whole new car now, running great.

Freedom! Lol

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#14)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335 (E90)
Default 04-24-2019, 08:28 AM

For my edification, as I recently removed my ** ***, when you removed it, did you not just put in jumpers in the JB4 harness to connect the 19, 20 and 23 connections across to their counterparts? If so, how were the instructions incorrect, did they have you crossing the pin slots between the two sides (i.e. 19 male end to 20 female end, etc.)?

'07 335 sedan, Stage 2 VVT, VVT inlets/outlets, VVT DCI, Phoenix CP with Tial BV, 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, Spec twin disk clutch with SMF, BMS OCC, RB PCV valve, ***less ***, VRSF catback with Vibrant *** installed, ETS 5" intercooler, Fuel-It stage 2 fuel pump, Fuel-It 650HP LPFP upgrade with 525 pump, JB4 with custom Trebila BEF, Phoenix PI intake manifold /w 550cc injectors, Fuel-it fuel lines, ethanol sensor and analyzer